Gaming: AD700 vs MDR-F1
Jan 26, 2009 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Bryson

Head-Fier
As the title suggests I'm looking for a gaming and movie headphone for use with DH which I've narrowed down to these 2. Everyone here at head-fi seems very helpful...so I figured I'd ask for some advice since I'm an audiophile noob.
atsmile.gif

Numbers:

AD700 5-30,000 HZ 53mm driver vs MDR-F1 10-30,000 50mm driver( I assume bigger is better?)

I've read countless reviews and both are stated as having great soundstage but how do they compare to eachother? How about bass and SQ? Is there really a big difference? The F1s are supposed to be a better phone which I would hope so for the price but again how much better? I think the MDR-F1s are the headphones I want for their superior SS and spacial ability but the only thing holding me back is the price seeing as how the 700s represent a fantastic bargain. Please help me decide!

Also, does anyone know of any good deals to be had on the MDR-F1s?

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 78
The F1's have a much larger, speaker like soundstage then the AD700's. They are a better all around headphone for gaming (FPS) and movies - Better audio and MUCH more comfortable.

But the AD700's are one hell of a deal for their price.

2 other great gaming and movie headphones are the Beyer Dt880 '05's and the AKG K601's. Both superior to the AD700's

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 other great gaming and movie headphones are the Beyer Dt880 '05's and the AKG K601's. Both superior to the AD700's

It can be argued that the AD700 are actually better than the Dt880's because they have a wider soundstage which is what matters in games. Plus the DT880s are hard to drive.

The plan is to pair the headphones with an astro mixamp. Would that be enough to power the Dt880s? Also, I love the clarity, rich sound and deep bass of the dt880 but would the bass drown out the mids such as footsteps of someone trying to sneak up on you etc..

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be argued that the AD700 are actually better than the Dt880's because they have a wider soundstage which is what matters in games. Plus the DT880s are hard to drive.

The plan is to pair the headphones with an astro mixamp. Would that be enough to power the Dt880s? Also, I love the clarity, rich sound and deep bass of the dt880 but would the bass drown out the mids such as footsteps of someone trying to sneak up on you etc..

I still question if the 700s have a wider sound stage then the 880s. Only one member thinks so, and is bias towards the 700. Wide ss matters but it's not the end all. If you are heavy into FPS I'd recommend the F1s easily. Speaker like and very 3D. And they have ohm matching circuitry, so you can get optimal sound from any source.

The 880s won't drown out the mids or footsteps. The bass is solid, tight, and impactful. The mix amp will drive them to satisfactory levels. To really make my 880s sing I needed a 900.00 amp.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 78
Im in very much the same situation. Although the AD700's are rated very well everywhere and look a bargain, the F1 are also looking excellent. If the F1's give better ss and all round quality i might have to go for them, even if they do cost more.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 78
Here's a great thread where the OP compares the K701, the DT880, and the AD700.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pic...-ad700-365933/

Quote:

Soundstage

DT880's lose out here. IMO they have a fair amount of left to right soundstage but its still not immersive and '3d' like that of the others. The AD700's manage to be upfront yet still have an amazing airy soundstage. Its like sitting in the middle of the band and having them playing all around you. The K701's place you in the first or second row and the soundstage is possibly more natural and the instrument placement is top notch. Still they have an incredible soundstage with lots of air (not as much air as the AD700 'air' though...).

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a great thread where the OP compares the K701, the DT880, and the AD700.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pic...-ad700-365933/

The fact that he said that the dt880's do not have good 3D positioning, heavily discredits is review.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And i neither do not buy the whole AD700's having a bigger soundstage then the dt880's.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

The fact that he said that the dt880's do not have good 3D positioning, heavily discredits is review.

I don't see how. He had both phones and owned both for months. It's fine to disagree with him, but unless you've owned both phones and compared them extensively as he has, it is difficult to see how your opinion could equal (never mind outweigh) his.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

I don't see how. He had both phones and owned both for months. It's fine to disagree with him, but unless you've owned both phones and compared them extensively as he has, it is difficult to see how your opinion could equal (never mind outweigh) his.

A side by side comparison has nothing to do with stating that the dt880s doesn't have a good 3D presentation. And while these are all opinions, most would disagree with him about the 880's 3D presentation being bad. My point, his OPINION is in the minority on the 880's 3d presentation, and thereby a heavy MAJORITY does outweigh.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 78
Quote:

A side by side comparison has nothing to do with stating that the dt880s doesn't have a good 3D presentation. And while these are all opinions, most would disagree with him about the 880's 3D presentation being bad. My point, his OPINION is in the minority on the 880's 3d presentation, and thereby the MAJORITY does outweigh.

But a side-by-side comparison has everything to do with the review he gave, and since that review compared the AD700 and DT 880 soundstage and found the AD700's wider, it's perfectly valid for the purposes of this thread. Again, you can disagree with his opinion, but since you clearly haven't owned both phones in question, I think you'd be better off not trying to minimize his opinion, which, frankly, means more than yours, mine, or those of anyone who has participated in this thread so far.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

But a side-by-side comparison has everything to do with the review he gave, and since that review compared the AD700 and DT 880 soundstage and found the AD700's wider, it's perfectly valid for the purposes of this thread. Again, you can disagree with his opinion, but since you clearly haven't owned both phones in question, I think you'd be better off not trying to minimize his opinion, which, frankly, means more than yours, mine, or those of anyone who has participated in this thread so far.

It's one guys opinion! who is a noted 700 groupe. Even before I read the thread, I know the OP would pic his 700s over the 880/701. We need more comparisons to validate his finding. To say that the 880s give a poor 3D presentation leads me to believe he has no under standing of the meaning..Want a great SS for under 300? MDR F1/701/880. In that order.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

And i neither do not buy the whole AD700's having a bigger soundstage then the dt880's.

There is a user here by the name of chinesekiwi who contemplated between the k701's and MDR-F1s. Ultimately he went with the Dt880's and this is what he had to say:

GP Forums - Ipods and ATH-AD500's
"I prefer the AD700's for gaming tbh. Wider soundstage and that's what counts in gaming.
It's not that the DT880's arn't good for gaming but the AD700's are even better. They are the best gaming headphones I've come accross."

Original thread here on head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dec...g-k701-372143/

That's the second person to own both headphones and compared them. That's gotta be worth something.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 78
Does it even matter? The DT880 is in a different price range, much harder to drive and has a more analytical sound. Someone considering the AD700 wouldn't have considered the DT880, and vice verse.

And Foe-hammer, I will like to know how you came to the conclusion that fraseyboy's opinion is in the minority, because there has been numerous people in head-fi who thinks that the DT880's soundstage isn't as precise as the AD700 or K701. I myself think that the DT880's soundstage is very unconventional and imprecise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back