GAME music: Soundcard or external DAC?
Aug 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Anunnaki

New Head-Fier
The actual music tracks within games, like World of Warcraft, Skyrim, etc.

Do normal DAC/amps used for music work the same with music within videogames? Or do soundcards improve sound quality for that?

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
The actual music tracks within games, like World of Warcraft, Skyrim, etc.

Do normal DAC/amps used for music work the same with music within videogames? Or do sound cards improve sound quality for that?

If your gaming, your going to be using an audio processor, built in audio or add-on sound card.
So I think it's just easier to use the DAC on an add-on sound card.
You can use the S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output on most new sound cards to send gaming audio to an external DAC, bypassing the DAC on the sound card.
You can also output digital audio thru a motherboard's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output.
Built-in (on-board) audio may or may not support as many features as you would get with an add-on sound card.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
If your gaming, your going to be using an audio processor, built in audio or add-on sound card.
You can use the S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output on most new sound cards to send gaming audio to an external DAC, bypassing the DAC on the sound card.
You can also output digital audio thru a motherboard's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output.
Built-in (on-board) audio may or may not support as many features as you would get with an add-on sound card.

So something like a Xonar Essence STX, and.. which external DAC would you prefer? I have HD 598's.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, by the way.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

So something like a Xonar Essence STX, and.. which external DAC would you prefer? I have HD 598's.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Once you have the Essence STX, you really have no need for anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back