galaxy s5 vs sony z2 in audio capabilities?
May 16, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #62 of 76
I have not seen or heard the Sony Z2 yet.But I did see and hear the Samsung Galaxy S5.And the screen is very impressive. Especially at all viewing angles.No glare at all.Of course that was only indoors.

May 16, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #63 of 76
I have not seen or heard the Sony Z2 yet.But I did see and hear the Samsung Galaxy S5.And the screen is very impressive. Especially at all viewing angles.No glare at all.Of course that was only indoors.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-display-for-outdoor-use-comparison-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-vs-HTC-One-M8-vs-Apple-iPhone-5s-vs-Note-3-vs-the-rest_id55760

There are also finally some YouTube tests too.

May 17, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #65 of 76
You cant compare an s5 to an z2.

Build quality: S5: Plastic , cheap feeling. very 2012'ish. Z2: nice heavy glassy texture,

Screen: S5: to warm, everything is just to oversaturated and colorful. Z2: Nice and smooth pixels, neutral colors , with a little punch of backlight technology that sony has made for Z2.

Cameras are just nice, but the Z2 had an bigger lens that take more 'professional' pictures. the zoom and focus is also better.
IMO the s5 has a better front-facing that the s4. but for the main camera there is almost nothing change,

Design, when the S5 looks simply cheap and like a production of beats ( XD ) , on the other hand the Z2 looks very professional and mature..

IMO the z2 is a complete phone for 2013/14.
wish S5 was released in 2012, maybe than was it worth to look at it..

May 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #66 of 76
Sorry, I respect that, excuse me , im a noob on this forum.

Why does it have to be cheap crap this or that anyway. You like the Z2 better. Well then it is better for you. It's an amazing phone and it has some advantages that set it apart.
Build quality and what material you like to see/feel are not the same thing. And you do realize glass and aluminum are no less a cheap recyclable material than plastic right?
Amoled is way more than just "saturated". You think LCD is more dulled down in colors automatically or it takes over night to accomplish? It's settings and calibration. And Amoled has that too. And movie mode fixes a lot of that. Including calibration and temperature.

The main camera on the S5 is a pretty large improvement over the S4 and Note 3. It has phase detection 0.3 second auto focus. Live HDR is pretty sweet too. The Z2 is using the exact same sensor as Z1 basically. And if you have seen many reviews accept that it's more saturated the S5 delivers more crisp detail. And the front camera comparison of both is just no comparison. Though Z2 mostly wins in low light.

Design is preference. I could say that the Motorola Droid Razr XT912 makes all other phones look cheap. Samsung's design might not look the "best", but many are happy enough with it.
And it's a practical design. Poly Carbonate plastic is extremely durable and malleable. It holds less heat, takes falls well. The device is thinner, more ergonomically shaped, still has removable battery despite that and water resistance. And the soft touch material used feels very nice. Have you seen it or touched it?

And about the related area here. Audio. The Z2 has stereo speakers that for sure are better. However could be louder. And as far as audio output has been rated to be a lot quieter than average and not among the cleanest of output.

S5 is only good for 2012???? Why would you even say something so ridiculous???
Just because you like the Z2 does not mean you have to travel pages bashing to show. Only jealous and or butthurt trolls do that.

May 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #68 of 76
*Laughs* I'm reading this now on a Droid RAZR XT912, it is a sexy beast. I have an M8, haven't plugged the UM3X's in yet, I'm scared :frowning2:

May 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #70 of 76

Wrong. The Xperia Z2 has the better screen.

Explain to me, what exactly on teh S5 screen is better? The colors pop so nice?
The best display is the one, which has the best color accuracy, viewing angles, and color temperature.

The S5 Display has a perfect black, a nice minimum-brightness, and good viewing angles.
The Color temperature is too high (too blueish), the saturation is way too much (the colors are all NOT natural). Even the Cinema mode is too oversaturated.

Xperia Z2 has a better color temperatuer, more natural saturation.

If you are objectice, you can not possibly say, the S5 has the best Display on the market. Thats like saying basshead headphones are the best headphones on the market.
If you like poppy colors from amoleds fine. But dont say its the best Display, because its clearly not.

Check this: http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Screen-comparison-Galaxy-S5-vs-iPhone-5s-vs-One-M8-vs-Note-3-vs-Nexus-5-vs-G2_id3652
Just from the Panel.. The iPhone 5s has a much better Panel Quality compared to the Galaxy S5 (outisde of the resolution).
Better Color temperature, better calibration, better viewing angles

If you like the S5 display the most, thats just personal preference, and not objective fact.
Just exactly, as you like bassy headphones more than neutral/natural ones.

Put it this way, there are actual scientific tests that show the s5 having the best color accuracy. But don't mind that. Most people, believe the s5 has the best screen after comparing it with other top screens. Thus by popular opinion the S5 does have the best screen.
One last thing, you were the first to state that the z2 has the best screen. You said it as it was a fact, when it really was an opinion, a minority opinion.

Anyway I rmaa the s5 with ath-m50x load. Very good results. It has to be a good quality chip inside indeed.

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #71 of 76
I am not sure what people mean by 24/192 support. Please check Android API
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/media/AudioTrack.html#AudioTrack%28int,%20int,%20int,%20int,%20int,%20int%29
You will see that there is no ENCODING_PCM_24BIT bits constant. So unless you can clear specify how 24 bits can be achieved, I consider all such claims pure speculations.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #72 of 76
From what i understand, the 24/192 is rendered at a level above the standard permissions / settings offered by Android...

All relatively moot point in the grand scheme of things as the headphone out just isn't capable enough of delivering that kind of resolution (ignoring whether you believe in increased resolution benefits or not, that isn't the argument here) so by the time you've added an app like USBAPP and a suitable DAC then you're not using native Android functionality anyway :)

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #73 of 76
The Z2 only has 24-bit audio via USB audio, which is to say it can output 24-bit audio to an external DAC/amp without needing UAPP (it bypasses the Android audio stack in this scenario). It works because Sony have specifically set it up to be able to do this. Moot as to whether this is an advantage in practical terms really.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #74 of 76
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/media/AudioTrack.html#AudioTrack%28int,%20int,%20int,%20int,%20int,%20int%29
You will see that there is no
Code:
ENCODING_PCM_24BIT
bits constant. So unless you can clear specify how 24 bits can be achieved, I consider all such claims pure speculations.

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned below you, but I think the oems that use 24bit input it the coding themselves.

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #75 of 76
You will see that there is no ENCODING_PCM_24BIT bits constant. So unless you can clear specify how 24 bits can be achieved, I consider all such claims pure speculations.

I don't think you've understood the way it works. The Android APIs in your link are meant for playback on the phone itself, but no one is playing 24 bit audio on the phone/Android. Everyone is bypassing the phone's playback capability (and the Android APIs), and handing over the data to an external DAC which is doing the actual playback/decoding.

It is this bypass mechanism which has an upper limit of 24/192 (for eg cannot do 24/384). I believe that limit is due to bandwidth constraints of the USB Audio profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back