Galaxy Note 5 Audio Quality
Oct 28, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #31 of 55
Just thought I’d post that I’ve had my Note 5 now for a couple of weeks now and I am very happy with the sound quality. The thing that I am most impressed with is the clarity. Even with my “cheap” Sony XBA-10 earphones I notice a real difference compared to my Sony Z1. I would say that the sound quality is on par with the so called audiophile smartphones like the Meizu MX4 Pro and Xiaomi Mi Note. I don’t have those phones anymore to do a comparison, but I actually prefer the sound signature of the Note 5. The only thing I can't comment on is how good the Note 5 is at driving headphones, as I am using it with my Hidition NT-6 custom earphones.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #32 of 55
  So I've picked up a Note 5 as well, but for me it seems to have issues playing back VBR audio. Every so often (can be a few seconds to a few minutes), you can hear these sudden spikes, much like a scratched up CD skipping. I've tested out numerous playback apps, songs, a factory reset; I've even exchanged the phone for a new one thinking it might be an issue with the phone itself. No luck.
I'm pretty sure it's not the audio itself, since they play just fine on other devices, including a Galaxy S3, S5, and even an old Zune.

Can anyone else confirm? Carrier is Verizon by the way.
EDIT: So far I've only tested mp3 v0, I'll try converting to some other VBR formats to test out those as well.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Just got a Note 5 last week and I'm experiencing the same issues. Using either Google Play Music or the built-in Samsung app, I get all kinds of clicks, pops and other high-pitched nonsense that doesn't show up on my iPhone or on my computer. AAC and FLAC files play back with no issues. I've found that Poweramp will play the MP3s without any artifacts, but I have yet to find a reason as to why. I'm also on Verizon. Did you ever find a solution?

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #34 of 55
I tested yesterday and I am not experiencing any of this audio playback problems with my Note 5.  I have the SM-N920C model (the Gulf / Vietnam version).  So perhaps it is a carrier issue or restricted to the US model.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #36 of 55
what dac is used in the note 5 and does it support 192/24bit

and how does it compare to the lg v10 and sony z5 premium

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #38 of 55
I haven't the V10 (yet) or the Z5 Premium, but the Note 5 sounds really good. To my ears, it just falls short of the Vivo X5 Max but only by a very small amount. And the Note 5 is a much better phone in other areas to the X5 Max.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #39 of 55
can u please help in answering, does the note 5 output high res in 192/24 but playback or is playback down sampled

i really wish to know please tried to ask in xda but no answer

also if anyone can answer the below it would be great

1- if i install v4a will it still use the wolfson dac
2- if it plays back high res without down samling then thats great all u need is to add an amp if u need one for more demanding headphones

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #40 of 55
  I know exactly what you're talking about. Just got a Note 5 last week and I'm experiencing the same issues. Using either Google Play Music or the built-in Samsung app, I get all kinds of clicks, pops and other high-pitched nonsense that doesn't show up on my iPhone or on my computer. AAC and FLAC files play back with no issues. I've found that Poweramp will play the MP3s without any artifacts, but I have yet to find a reason as to why. I'm also on Verizon. Did you ever find a solution?

Oh thank God someone else is experiencing this (I don't mean this in a mean way). I've been asking and Googling like crazy and have yet to find anyone else experiencing the same thing.

So far I've only noticed it with Google Play Music, and ONLY with songs I have uploaded. Also, computer playback is fine. Any music that is from Google Play works fine. It seems to happen roughly 50% of the time. Pressing the previous track button usually replays the song fine. This week I was planning on putting all of my uploaded music on the phone directly to see if it helps.

So while I do really like the sound quality on the 5, I miss my 2 because it didn't do this.

EDIT: Seems the solution is to get PowerAMP, and just play my songs from my phone instead of uploading to GPM. Will just have to keep my All Access stuff separate from my own files. A downer, but I would rather do this than to get a new device.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #41 of 55
Having the exact same issue - Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Intermittent skips in audio playback (very similar to that CD skip sound). What I have noticed is that it only does this when listening with headphones/earbuds. Playback when connected via bluetooth to my receiver / car does not produce the same skip. Great phone otherwise, but rather annoying as I use it to listen to music with headphones at work daily.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #42 of 55
  Having the exact same issue - Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Intermittent skips in audio playback (very similar to that CD skip sound). What I have noticed is that it only does this when listening with headphones/earbuds. Playback when connected via bluetooth to my receiver / car does not produce the same skip. Great phone otherwise, but rather annoying as I use it to listen to music with headphones at work daily.

Try Poweramp. It's not free for the full version, and the UI is terrible, but I've had no issues with playback using it. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #44 of 55
  can u please help in answering, does the note 5 output high res in 192/24 but playback or is playback down sampled

i really wish to know please tried to ask in xda but no answer

also if anyone can answer the below it would be great

1- if i install v4a will it still use the wolfson dac
2- if it plays back high res without down samling then thats great all u need is to add an amp if u need one for more demanding headphones

Yes it does play high res. It uses a Wolfson DAC which is great. People still have the misconception that the V10 outperforms the Note 5 by far because Samsung used to use cheap DACs with their chips for older phones, not the case with the Note 5. The DAC performs pretty well, with decent headphones you'll get a great experience. I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing around with the Note 5 for some months and I've tried the V10. They both give different experiences with music, both are great. I have a pair of Fostex T20RP MK3 (Open-back) headphones since 2 weeks  ago.  Played some FLACS files using Neutron Player with 64-bit processing and some nice EQ and got amazing results. I have the AT&T variant which doesn't has root yet. So no V4A or Ac!d audio for me (yet) and I still love the sound quality of my Note 5. The Vivo X5 Max supposedly has better audio, but the Note 5 is just a superior phone in every other aspect. I'm sure that with the V4A driver or AC!D the audio quality and experience will go up to the roof.

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #45 of 55
I switched from the Note 5 to LG V10 and while I'm happy with my decision, I didn't find the V10 to be an upgrade in sound from the Note 5. It's more the case they have somewhat different sound signatures. They are both great phones, but a few people in the V10 thread are a bit over the top when talking about its audio capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back