G&W T-2.6F Tube Amplifier
May 1, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #46 of 55
Anyone tried the G&W T-2.6F with a sony cd3000? I've been using them for years without headphone amp and thought they sounded good. Now i found this forum with alot of peoples talking about headphone amp and was curious about if they sounded much better than without headphone amp.

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #47 of 55
I bought a G&W T-2.6F amplifier...Not yet received but pretty soon...
No others users of this amplifier on the forum to review it?
confused.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #48 of 55
sorry about the slight OT..

Hornet600, since you seems to know a lot about chinese amps, do you know anything about mr yang's little dot 3? or perhaps you or your friends have already listened to it?

thanks

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #49 of 55
I received this amplifier two weeks ago...

GW1.jpg

GW2.jpg

GW3.jpg

GW4.jpg

Good impressions...All the details are present, smoothness, bass have good impact...I've replaced 6922EH tubes by Siemens ECC88 and the trebles are more present, the soundstage really wider and more precise...
Very happy, it's a good amplifier and it matches well with my HD600!

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #50 of 55
I can heartily recommend the G&W T-2.6F, as long as you replace the stock (not horrible, merely mediocre) Electro-Harmonix 6922EH tubes. I use this amp with Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 cans, and have experienced terrific results with JAN-Sylvania 7308 and Mullard E88CC NOS tubes. I can also attest that it handles AKG K701 extremely well.

I've documented my experiences in a series of blogposts:
http://www.tomergabel.com/Headphones...rtOfSound.aspx
http://www.tomergabel.com/Headphones...fSoundPt2.aspx
(part 3 upcoming)

Overall it's a terrific amp and a great value, IMO.

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #53 of 55
I saw your photos on Flickr by the way. They sure are easy to find I search "T-2.6F" with Google.

Looks like the amp is really not popular......

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #55 of 55
Just purchased a G&W T-2.6F 2nd hand. It came with Russian Electro Harmonix tubes. I immediately ordered a pair of used 1974 Reflektor tubes which should arrive from Ukraine in a week or two. My first impressions have been good using my Sennheiser HD650 and my AKG 701 - MUCH better than my G&W J1.

But I'm thinking that the T-2.6F deserves as good an opamp as I can get. I haven't looked inside it. What opamp does it use? I'm guessing a 5532 like the J1.

Has anyone rolled op amps on the T-2.6F? What good options are there apart from the Bursons and the Muses? How much better is the Burson v6 over the v5 over the v5i? And how does the sound compared to the Muses?

I've just desoldered the 5532 in the J1 and soldered in an 8-pin socket in its place (never done it before and pretty pleased with myself), so I could try a Muse 02 or a Burson V5i Dual in it (not enough height for a Burson v5 or v6). But considering how much better the T-2.6F sounds over the J1, maybe that's just wasting money, and I should spend all the money on a replacement op-amp for the T-2.6F. So, is there, instead, a cheap replacement for the 5532 which is hands down better for audio (obviously doesn't need to be in the same league and the Bursons)?

Cheers
Warren

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back