Futuresonics Atrio M5
Apr 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #1,457 of 2,359
The places I've looked are out or expecting new stock within a "few days." Artificial scarcity tends to keep the price of a commodity high. Based on this board's posts, the scarcity seems prolonged so I would guess the manufacturer is deliberately crimping production to keep prices high. At least that's one way Adam Smith might explain it.

May 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #1,459 of 2,359
How would custom tips with the M5 compare to their ear monitors line???

After the 8th purchase of different tips (finally get a good seal, but having to keep tweaking it to stay sealed), I'm kind of annoyed.

May 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #1,461 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apparently, the $150 custom tips for the Atrios arent worth it, atleast thats what i´ve heard,

everything points to the shure olives being the best tips for the atrios,

I've gotten the best luck with the Olives, but keep having to put them back in is really annoying (they don't come completely out, just enough to lose the seal). I've used all 3 sizes available.

May 1, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #1,462 of 2,359
But what about the m5 vs. their custom line?

May 1, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #1,463 of 2,359
I owned the M5s and had some FS custom sleeves (soft silicone, from my FS EM3s) and the M5s fit those sleeves, which cost me $185 in all ($135 for the sleeves and $50 for the audiologist). Not worth it, trust me. The sleeves completely ruined the Atrio sound, took the bass out of it, made them sound thin. Ugh. Now, this is an older sleeve, but I doubt the newer ones are any different.

If you are going to spend that much on anything custom, sell your M5s and get a pair of Freqs.

May 1, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #1,464 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotten the best luck with the Olives, but keep having to put them back in is really annoying (they don't come completely out, just enough to lose the seal). I've used all 3 sizes available.

Have you tried the Olives reversed?

May 1, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #1,465 of 2,359
im saving for the custom line - after experiencing their wonder with dynammics, i wont go to customs balanced armatures. but there are fewer reviews about them and i have only one worry: will the customs have the same weakness of plasticky booms?

May 1, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #1,466 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the Olives reversed?

Yes. Very uncomfortable.

May 1, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #1,467 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Atrios go very well with the Cowon D2. This one's a bit on the bright sounding side, which is a no-no for Etymotics or the q-Jays, but perfect for the Atrios, IMO. The D2's ridiculously strong 74mW amp helps quite a bit as well (hell, it almost drives my HD650).

You wouldn't even have to do without the bells & whistles, the D2 got 'em all...
wink.gif

The D2 + Atrios is what I use 90% of the time... definitely my favorite rig.

Whoaa, pretty old stuff I'm digging out here, but why have a search function if no one uses it
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna buy the Cowon D2 soon, and I need some good IEMs for that. So after reading stuff for a day I now have to decide between Q-Jays and Atrios M5 (as many many MANY people).
I read that the Q-Jays have more detail than the Atrios and the Atrios more bass and more sound dampening.
Since details sound better to me than more bass I almost decided on the Q-Jays...
Would you really recommend the Atrios in the case of the D2 depending on its sound? Less Bass is already a drawback, but less bass from the player AND the earphones, I think that could really be too little.

I currently have some old Sony mdr-ex71, I think I can expect some improvement in sound quality?^^

May 1, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #1,468 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im saving for the custom line - after experiencing their wonder with dynammics, i wont go to customs balanced armatures. but there are fewer reviews about them and i have only one worry: will the customs have the same weakness of plasticky booms?

I'm actually in the same boat as you! I've heard great things about their custom line but there's apparently an ambient feature that I'm not to keen on. I tried e-mailing them asking if there was a non-ambient feature available (similar to what UE offer) but I never got a reply, Maybe you would have better luck.

By the way ambient means that they leak sound for those who don't know.

May 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #1,469 of 2,359
Hello Guys! I'm a newbie here and I just want to ask for advice and suggestions.
I've been recently been hooked with IEMs. Currently I'm using a CX400 with my iPod Nano 3G and I'm still happy with it but I'm considering an upgrade. A friend of mine recommended Futuresonics Atrio M5 so I'm considering on getting one maybe 3 weeks from now.

Is the M5 still a good purchase now? My budget is just right for this by the way. How do you compare M5 with CX400? Do they have small or big difference?

Thanks in advance!

May 1, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #1,470 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoaa, pretty old stuff I'm digging out here, but why have a search function if no one uses it
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna buy the Cowon D2 soon, and I need some good IEMs for that. So after reading stuff for a day I now have to decide between Q-Jays and Atrios M5 (as many many MANY people).
I read that the Q-Jays have more detail than the Atrios and the Atrios more bass and more sound dampening.
Since details sound better to me than more bass I almost decided on the Q-Jays...
Would you really recommend the Atrios in the case of the D2 depending on its sound? Less Bass is already a drawback, but less bass from the player AND the earphones, I think that could really be too little.

I currently have some old Sony mdr-ex71, I think I can expect some improvement in sound quality?^^

I have both the Atrio M5 and the the D2, and I have never, EVER, felt a need for more bass. I listen to metal and trance, and the Atrios really take of themselves in the bass department. In fact, many people have suggested in the past that I use the D2 without any EQ settings and just Mach3Bass and BBE, which I've found works wonderfully and allows you experience the sound signature that Future Sonics intended for this IEM. I eventually added an amp (Predator) to my portable setup, and it just gets better and better.

I use the Atrio's every day, and yet I'm still awestruck by the deep bass tone and wide soundstage that this IEM provides. It's even harder to understand how a relatively inexpensive pair of IEMs can rival Shure's top IEM, the SE530. Regardless I had owned both, and sold the SE530s since I found myself reaching for the Atrio's far more often. Its mellowness in the high range makes a far more relaxing and enjoyable listening experience, thanks to its dynamic driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back