Futuresonics Atrio M5
Apr 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #1,441 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewyzewun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I've lost my SE530s yesterday, and now I've read very good things about Atrio M5's, and even a few recommendations of them over the SE530s.

Too bad about your loss.

IMO, the Atrios are not-so-good versions of the SE530. The SE530 do everything better than the Atrios, except the really deep sub-bass. Everything else is better on the SE530 (mids, treble, punch, PRAT, soundstage, isolation, comfort), though both are very similar in their sound signature.

Now that I've had the SE530 for three weeks, I'm going to sell my Atrios for sure.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #1,442 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad about your loss.

IMO, the Atrios are not-so-good versions of the SE530. The SE530 do everything better than the Atrios, except the really deep sub-bass. Everything else is better on the SE530 (mids, treble, punch, PRAT, soundstage, isolation, comfort), though both are very similar in their sound signature.

Now that I've had the SE530 for three weeks, I'm going to sell my Atrios for sure.

It's a matter of opinion. If you look through this lengthy thread, you'll see many more people who've preferred (even ditched) their SE530s for the more gentle and mellower sound of the Atrio's. Because the Atrio comprises of a single dynamic driver, it doesn't have the sibilance (shrill highs) issues that balanced armatures (ie: SE530) have, while providing a deeper, more detailed and textured bass.

Again, it's a matter of opinion. I read through most of the posts in this thread, before finally making the choice to get the Atrios. I can tell you, it was the right choice (for me).

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #1,443 of 2,359
Sorry, my post above was worded too strong. By no means do I find the Atrios to be "bad" IEMs - actually, they're still my second favorite one. It's just that I find both the SE530 and the Atrio to be extremely similar sounding, even if one is a dynamic driver and the other one a triple armature.

The treble of the SE530 is also very similar to the Atrios, with just a slight bit more power to it, IMO. I read that many people find the SE530 to be lacking in treble, just as it's said about the Atrios. All other armature IEMs I know certainly have a lot of treble (q-Jays, ER-6, Super.Fi, ...), but the SE530 are really toned down (or recessed). I like 'em both... especially considering the price difference, the Atrio is a killer phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #1,445 of 2,359
hey cn11,
for how long have u burned in your atrio before use. because i heard it sounds totally different after 70 some hours. and how is it compared to denon c700
is denon in the same league with atrio. or which has better detail clarity.
thanks....

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #1,446 of 2,359
I recently got my 3rd. pair (lost 2
mad.gif
) I was listening to some Billy Joel and Elton John and man is the sound FANTASTIC! If someone is not happy with theirs i'll take them off your hand for a reasonable price. Need a backup just in case.
redface.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #1,447 of 2,359
I was about set to sell my Atrio M5s (really close). I was just really annoyed with the biflanges (which I have decided are just aweful!!!) and the memory wire. Then I decided to do some minor surgery on the Atrios. I elminated the memory wire and tried of pair of my comply tips (that I have for my UM2) with the M5s. The sound is much better with the complys. I should say that I can actually hear music which was not always possible with the biflanges because they created some weird seal, sealing off the music from my head, at random times!! The fit is much better now because I like wearing them hanging down and the memory wire was making them stick out more. Anyway, I probably just killed their resale value but I am much happier with them now. Now I just need to order some Shure olives since everyone seems to agree that this is the way to go. Any thoughts about what size olives to get? I have small ears but probably the mediums will give a better seal. [I prefer the short complys to the regular complys if that is any help].

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #1,448 of 2,359
Has anyone else had a problem with the rubber end of the body splitting at the molding seam? I just noticed mine has split open ~3mm where the memory cable exits.

I've been extremely cautious with these phones and I always keep them in their case. I think the case might have actually caused the damage though, since it's a bit of a tight fit. I guess I'll carry them in my pocket from now on
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #1,449 of 2,359
I went with the Shure olives as well. I got mediums, but my ears aren't particularly small. They soften up a fair bit after some use though. You could probably squeeze them repeatedly between your fingers to break them in a bit if you find them a little on the large side.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #1,450 of 2,359
Hi there - new member here. I'm looking for recommendations for good in-ear monitors to listen to my electric bass when I travel and chill out in the hotel room or in an airport waiting room. I use a fretless Steinberger bass with a Korg ToneWorks PX4B amplifier (quarter inch jack output). I've also been carrying full-size phones to hear sound but would like to downsize to in-ear monitors for less bulk and weight.

I have a pair of $100 Sony ear buds but they are a bit boomy bass-wise. I hear that's a problem with many in-ear buds/monitors. I'm looking for a flatter, true bass tone.

Is the Atrio the ticket? Or should I check out something else? Seems like most of you are using Atrio for listening to pop music on an iPod, which is a different application from my main goal. Advice from any of you bass players would be welcome. Thanks a bunch!

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #1,451 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there - new member here. I'm looking for recommendations for good in-ear monitors to listen to my electric bass when I travel and chill out in the hotel room or in an airport waiting room. I use a fretless Steinberger bass with a Korg ToneWorks PX4B amplifier (quarter inch jack output). I've also been carrying full-size phones to hear sound but would like to downsize to in-ear monitors for less bulk and weight.

I have a pair of $100 Sony ear buds but they are a bit boomy bass-wise. I hear that's a problem with many in-ear buds/monitors. I'm looking for a flatter, true bass tone.

Is the Atrio the ticket? Or should I check out something else? Seems like most of you are using Atrio for listening to pop music on an iPod, which is a different application from my main goal. Advice from any of you bass players would be welcome. Thanks a bunch!

A lot of monitor/recording engineers use the Atrio's for monitoring purposes as it has such a "true bass tone" to put it in your words, so Atrio's will probably suit your needs.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #1,452 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to agree with the other reply to this. The Atrio would be superb for bass monitoring. The sound signature has a more "live" feel. If you can afford to go for the high end, go for Future Sonics "Ear Monitors" brand custom IEMs. Their intended sound signature across the board will be more friendly to bass sound than most other IEMs. Even listening to what I am now (Madder Mortem - Ten Times Defeat), it almost seems like I can "feel" the bass impact. It's not flabby or buzzy, but there's definite depth and impact to it that I've found missing in most other IEMs or even many full sized headphones, which tend to sound a bit too analytical to me.

As I've stated in this thread a couple of times, I have at least one producer friend who prefers the sound of the older model, the EM3, to his Sennheiser HD600, and the Atrio bests the old EM3 in every regard (particularly soundstage and high frequency response). The main reason for his preference: more realistic bass response. The only other IEM I've tried that has come close to the bass feel of the Atrio is the Shure E500, but I found those to be harsh and bright on the high end, and are more than twice as expensive.

So yes, unless you can afford the "Ear Monitors" custom product, the Atrio is probably the next best thing, ESPECIALLY for a bassist. Just be sure to let them burn in for about 100 hours before you judge! They change a lot during that time!

Cheers, and welcome to Head-Fi! As they say here: sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #1,453 of 2,359
As a fellow Steinberger player I have to agree - the Atrios have the best bass of the lot.
wink.gif

I also have the SE530 which are fine, bass-wise, but the Atrios are better. The Super.Fi 5 EB aren't even worth mentioning, their bass is gigantic indeed, but boomy and kinda one-note.

(FWIW, I'm using my Steinberger with a Bass Pod XT.)

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #1,454 of 2,359
I appreciate the comments! If I were to order the custom-fit upgrade to Atrio, would there be a discernable difference between Atrio and the more expensive Ear Monitors? Based on the price, you have to wonder if the Ear Monitors are more than twice as good. Apparently Future Sonics can't keep the Atrio in stock. What's up with that?

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #1,455 of 2,359
"Based on the price, you have to wonder if the Ear Monitors are more than twice as good."

Well, the Head-Fi law of diminishing returns applies in this sort of situation. For twice the price, you might get an improvement of 50%, 25%, 10%, or whatever.

"Apparently Future Sonics can't keep the Atrio in stock. What's up with that?"

Maybe they were never intended for general consumer consumption ... I don't know. Maybe it's just because they aren't cost-efficient to make, but the ones that have been manufactured have gotten bought up because the word of mouth has been so (justifiably) good ... I'm a pessimist, so I'm starting to have kind of a "Rio Karma" feeling about these ... but I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back