Futuresonics Atrio M5
Aug 21, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #706 of 2,359
i don't remember who it was who asked about where on the pecking order the m5 are, but i love them more than um2 and e500 both of which cost more than 2x the price. they fatigue less than hd600 but still sound very good. nothing is overly exaggerrated and nothing seems out of place. they are detailed but not too much (what i hated about um2/e500/er4s) which fatigued me immediately.

on big phones like dt880, i love details, but something just millimetres from my eardrums, i prefer something more laid back and these are enough to not cause me pain. best iem in my exceedingly humble opinion.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #708 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmjays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll clain the dumbest question in the thread. Can I wear this IEM normally, instead of having the cable over my ear?

Not a dumb question at all....Yes , you can wear them down as well. You have a choice.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #709 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a dumb question at all....Yes , you can wear them down as well. You have a choice.

Thats awesome. I was pretty set on getting a pair of M5's or M8's. However, those new q-JAYS have me second guessing. They look nice and will probably be cheaper pretty quick.

I guess there is no real comparison between the two right now. Anyone know when the q-JAYS come out (if its not already out)?

And if anyone could compare the M5's to the q-JAYS that would be super duper!

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #710 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmjays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats awesome. I was pretty set on getting a pair of M5's or M8's. However, those new q-JAYS have me second guessing. They look nice and will probably be cheaper pretty quick.

I guess there is no real comparison between the two right now. Anyone know when the q-JAYS come out (if its not already out)?

And if anyone could compare the M5's to the q-JAYS that would be super duper!

Yeah, that's one I'd like to read on too. I requested a while back in the q-JAYS prototype impressions thread, but they didn't have access to any Atrio's. I doubt the q-JAYS could do any better in the bass though, and I'm a self-admitted basshead!

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #712 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, I'm not a basshead at all, but somehow I love the Atrios. The q-JAYS really have my curiosity piqued...

I suppose I'm a basshead that demands it to be right though. No point in listening to something that drowns out the rest of the frequency range, which the Atrio doesn't do at all. Strong but accurate bass grounds the music and gives it a palpability... I think that music sounds anemic without it. It's the first quality I look for in a decent IEM, and until the Atrio nothing did what I wanted. It seems that the Super.Fi 5 EB is too exaggerated, and nothing shy of the Shure E500 series would come close to these. So far I'm pretty content. I'd be interested in hearing the Westone 3 if it ever comes out too..... That'd be a good shootout- the Atrio, q-JAY, and Westone 3, perhaps with the E500 thrown in for good company.

basshead.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #713 of 2,359
My Cowon iAudio 7 and M5's came in a couple days ago... and they sound awesome! I'm very happy with both. The iAudio 7 came in first and made my 1st gen v-moda vibes sound a lot better than they did on my laptop or pocket pc. Then the M5's arrived and they are amazing - the largest difference between them and the vibes are the low end. The bass on the M5 really is as great as everyone says it is. I don't think it's overbearing at all (but I also love bass, have a 12" JL in my car.)

I'd highly recommend the iAudio 7 / M5 combination to everyone.
280smile.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #714 of 2,359
I've consumed the mountain of info on the Atrios. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Atrios or the Denon AH-C700. I've read some posts that suggest that the mids on the Atrios may be recessed. That is a concern for me, as I want the best vocal reproduction. I wonder if someone could elaborate on that? My decision is made more difficult, because the Denons are less intrusive (a good thing). I'm not a big fan of deep penetrating IEMs, but I will make that concession in the interest of better SQ.

Thanks All!

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #715 of 2,359
The mids sound good, maybe very slightly recessed compared to some other IEMs. But to me it's not noticeable, and vocals (in R&B and trance) are clear. I don't know anything about the Denon's.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #717 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've consumed the mountain of info on the Atrios. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Atrios or the Denon AH-C700. I've read some posts that suggest that the mids on the Atrios may be recessed. That is a concern for me, as I want the best vocal reproduction. I wonder if someone could elaborate on that? My decision is made more difficult, because the Denons are less intrusive (a good thing). I'm not a big fan of deep penetrating IEMs, but I will make that concession in the interest of better SQ.

Thanks All!

Completely unscientific, of course. I don't know what the problem is (in fact, recessed mids sounds more like a gum disease to me), cause when Carmen McRae belts out "I Won't Last a Day Without You" from her Ms. Magic CD, it sounds like pure heaven to me. Maybe vocals on other cuts might suffer in some way, but I'm not sophisticated enough to notice it, I guess. It's all good for me with the M5s. Not sure that helps.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #719 of 2,359
Hey guys,

I think I may have a defective pair where the output of the right side is intermittent. If I jiggle the cable where it connects to the Y-connector, the output goes in and out. I bought my pair from road-dog on eBay, do you know if it would be possible for me to get a replacement pair?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back