Futuresonics Atrio M5
Aug 20, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #692 of 2,359
Cold
tongue.gif
and thankfully drawing to an end.

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #693 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear you. But WMAs seem to be a higher quality at 96kpbs than comparable MP3s. I encoded the same cuts in both 192 and 96 WMA, listened to them both, and I really could not tell the difference. On the other hand, with cuts I got from others at 128 MP3, cymbals do sounds lousy. So I understand. If a cut sounds bad, I re-rip it at a higher bitrate, but I only do it selectively. But for whatever reason, WMAs sound better at 92, 128 and 192k. I've tried over and over, thinking it couldn't be, but I'd rather have more files on my ZVM, so I use 96 as my standard.

I agree with you concerning MP3.

Have you done the same exercice = sound quality vs bit rate comparing WMA and Ogg at level 2?

Ogg level 2 corresponds to 96k , the same bitrate as WMA 96k.

let me know, I am curious.

regards,

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #694 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you concerning MP3.

Have you done the same exercice = sound quality vs bit rate comparing WMA and Ogg at level 2?

Ogg level 2 corresponds to 96k , the same bitrate as WMA 96k.

let me know, I am curious.

regards,

My Creative ZVM doesn't support Ogg, so I am stuck with MP3 or WMA. I just keep monkeying with bitrates to see if I can differentiate, and after tons of testing, I decided 96k was the sweet spot for my portable needs. Some are ripped at 128 WMA, some at 192, I tend to rip older recordings at higher bitrates, since they often need it. Guess I got off topic a little. Did I mention the M5s are in my view the best value in IEMs, by a landslide. Think I did.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #695 of 2,359
Oh, the pain of it all! My M5s are being held up in customs. That's the epitome of frustration right there. The only plus is that the gap between trying my M5s and receiving my Shure olives in the mail will grow smaller by a week or so.
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #696 of 2,359
There is a concern rooted out from Xin's forums that M doesn't benefit from amping.

I have starTed a thread here.

What do you all think?

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #698 of 2,359
what genre sounds the best with the m5? or do they sound excellent across-the-board (for all types of music)?

Personally, bass is nice but its not my main concern. I don't want too much bass, and for treble...prefer natural over sound that's way-enhanced (doesn't sound realistic).

There's lots of mention that these are the closest IEM's that have a can sound to them..So does this mean there's a tonne of bass or does the bass sound wider (larger soundstage..unlike most IEM's with their in-the-head/in-the-ear sound)?

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #699 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll jump in, until Tstarn06 returns...
wink.gif

M5: good sound across the whole spectrum, "dark" sounding, laid back, good soundstage, very good isolation (especially with Shure foamies for me)

X3: lack of bass, "bright" sounding, precise, not bad soundstage, good isolation

M5 remind me of the HD650 (to a certain extent) sound signature wise, X3 remind me of Ety ER-6.

dfkt...what do you mean by "dark" sounding, laid back?? Can you elaborate those 2 terms in simpler terms
etysmile.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #700 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Creative ZVM doesn't support Ogg, so I am stuck with MP3 or WMA. I just keep monkeying with bitrates to see if I can differentiate, and after tons of testing, I decided 96k was the sweet spot for my portable needs. Some are ripped at 128 WMA, some at 192, I tend to rip older recordings at higher bitrates, since they often need it. Guess I got off topic a little. Did I mention the M5s are in my view the best value in IEMs, by a landslide. Think I did.

You know what, before ogg I went with wma 96k( with Easy CD-DA Extractor)as being of a cd quality. Since Ogg, even at level 2, for same size, a bit more bass and definition.

Did I tell you that I believe MY Atrio M8 are the best I heard since a long time.
I received from FS the large foamies, but to my surprise their are only 10, meaning 5 pairs! and not 10 pairs per my faulty understanding.

Anyway, it's not grave.

The sound coming out of the M8 with those foamies is just something else.

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #701 of 2,359
Deep_splash: I meant the M5's treble doesn't hurt your ears, you can listen to them for a long time. They got bass, mids, and treble - everything is there, but the frequency spectrum seems to be tilted towards the lower frequencies (just like the Senn HD650).

IMO, they sound good with almost any kind of music. If you like some more wordy explanations, here's my review: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-m8-review.php

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #702 of 2,359
what genre sounds the best with the m5? or do they sound excellent across-the-board (for all types of music)?

Personally, bass is nice but its not my main concern. I don't want too much bass, and for treble...prefer natural over sound that's way-enhanced (doesn't sound realistic).

I wouldn't say it's too much bass, and I don't find it unnatural or out of proportion -- the highs and details are definitely there. The bass is refined ("polite" and clean, not "rude" or bloated/muddy). For people who like music with a lot of bass (much of today's recordings are bass-heavy or saturated at maximum volume, or both), these overcome the issue of being perceived as bass-shy (a lot of people new to IEMs have complaints about that, with different brands/models). Like Caribou, I use the foamies and am very happy with them (they need to be replaced periodically, but after two weeks I'm still using my original pair -- your mileage may vary).

I haven't listened to any classical, opera, chamber music, symphonic soundtracks, or traditional jazz and vocals with the M5s yet (I'll have to check out the "1812 Overture" ... these things convey drums very well, so cannons could be really impressive). But so far, rock, indie, down-tempo electronica, world music, funk, traditional R&B, Motown, British Invasion, alt country, etc. go well with the Future Sonics, for me. Live recordings (that are well recorded) sound quite good, too. One poster has said they don't go well with trance -- maybe it's a "speed" thing, I don't know about that ... it could just be the listener's preference.

There's lots of mention that these are the closest IEM's that have a can sound to them..So does this mean there's a tonne of bass or does the bass sound wider (larger soundstage..unlike most IEM's with their in-the-head/in-the-ear sound)?

As mine burn in more, I've noticed that they do sound more like headphones (without the heat or clamping factor) compared to my other in-ears. There is less of a "trapped-in-the-head" feeling. I actually kind of like the "in-the-head" sound, sometimes, but with the M5s, I sense the separation of instruments and the beginnings of a "halo" of sound around my head (not a huge soundstage, but one that's starting to break through the limitations of in-ears in that regard).

For me, they're not perfect, but simply excellent is pretty good!

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #703 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by deep_splash /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can give you a hint of what happens with them.

I listen to some classic on Decca and on Living Stereo. These are considered good to very good recordings.

With the music encoded Ogg level 8, using Cowon D2 with the Eq set at Classic and MP on at sound level 25 of 50.

Using the M8 with the FS foamies.

From the left to the riight I discerned clearly the different instruments being played and their relative position. Also from the front to the back I can (sometimes) discerned the positions of the instruments on the differents rows the orchestra is set up. I think this is the description of soundstage. It is sometimes very impressive to discerne this!

Before with others IEMs, (X3, EP630,Bose) the sound was more like one big unity and sometimes some distinction was present and attracting attention.

regards,

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #704 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can give you a hint of what happens with them.

I listen to some classic on Decca and on Living Stereo. These are considered good to very good recordings.

With the music encoded Ogg level 8, using Cowon D2 with the Eq set at Classic and MP on at sound level 25 of 50.

Using the M8 with the FS foamies.

From the left to the riight I discerned clearly the different instruments being played and their relative position. Also from the front to the back I can (sometimes) discerned the positions of the instruments on the differents rows the orchestra is set up. I think this is the description of soundstage. It is sometimes very impressive to discerne this!

Before with others IEMs, (X3, EP630,Bose) the sound was more like one big unity and sometimes some distinction was present and attracting attention.

regards,

that's impressive for an IEM..and you have good ears! This is looking good. I think it'll be my next pair of IEM's once I save enough money. Going back to school...so maybe a couple months later would be best.

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #705 of 2,359
Quote:

They got bass, mids, and treble - everything is there, but the frequency spectrum seems to be tilted towards the lower frequencies (just like the Senn HD650).

That is my problem with M5! But all the IEMs have such skewed frequency response towards bass. I think Ety 4Rs have it other way round. The high end IEMs using dedicated drivers for each register such as UE Triple.10, Westone UM2/3 and Shure E500/SE530 may have better performance across the spectrum. But I have not got any experience in them. May be my next IEM adventure!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back