Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 25, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #301 of 2,359
Shigzeo's review has made my wait for my M5's all the more torturous.
frown.gif

Nice work.

May 25, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #302 of 2,359
for me, they are nothing short of heaven. also, it looks as if our definition of long-hair is different! cheers[/QUOTE]

Now I am curious as to what you consider long hair
k1000smile.gif

Ok never mind, just saw your pics and yeah are opinions are whey different. My hair goes well past the mid point on my back. Covers any IEM up so i was never worried about the cosmetics. I don't need my earrings to match my purse.

May 25, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #303 of 2,359
I had the Atrio M5s for about a month and I just recently lost them in the Dallas love field airport
frown.gif
So if someone found a pair please let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought a set of the Shure E500s from Frys on sale for 200 bucks. They are great but I got to tell you I miss the Atrio bass and natural sound stage. The e500s details are better than the Atrio but the Atrio has better bass and are just great for rock and the kind of music I like. I also found them easier to wear while running or going to the gym. I think they are a bargain for price/quality. In fact I'm going to put the E500s on ebay and I order another set of M5s....

May 25, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #305 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by call_ej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Atrio M5s for about a month and I just recently lost them in the Dallas love field airport
frown.gif
So if someone found a pair please let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought a set of the Shure E500s from Frys on sale for 200 bucks. They are great but I got to tell you I miss the Atrio bass and natural sound stage. The e500s details are better than the Atrio but the Atrio has better bass and are just great for rock and the kind of music I like. I also found them easier to wear while running or going to the gym. I think they are a bargain for price/quality. In fact I'm going to put the E500s on ebay and I order another set of M5s....

First off - that sucks about you losing your M5s! Sorry to hear!

Great price on the E500s - whoa! You reinforce a strong opinion of mine. I kind of got scoffed at when I told people I actually preferred my JBL 220 canalphones to the Shure E4s I used to have because they (the JBLs) were more musical. Obviously they didn't have near the detail but I'll take musicalness (hmm... a new word?) over detail 9 out of 10 times. I guess that's why I love the M5s. They offer a respectable amount of detail and they extend deep with nice controlled bass and reach high enough for me. Their wonderful musical signature is perfect for me and why I don't have a need to look further in regards to IEMs. I doubt I would enjoy the E500s as much as well.

I say, return those Shures and get thee another pair of M5s!!
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #306 of 2,359
GAH! I had a whole long post written up, and I just lost it. Ugh.

Well, suffice to say, Shigzeo's review is excellent (though I think he needs a new keyboard with a working shift key, heheh!). He pretty much sums up my opinion on the Atrio, and indeed the Future Sonics approach in general. Nice write-up, man!

Just one thing: Try Ray Samuels' Tomahawk with your IEMs. It's DEAD SILENT. Absolutely no hiss at all, which was a big problem with my EM3 when I had them hooked up to my H120. I'm not sure how the sound signature will be different (though the Tomahawk seems quite respectable to me), but it will probably do better to attenuate the hiss.

-Packgrog

NP: Opeth - Damnation (with my Tomahawk and Atrio m5)

May 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #307 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GAH! I had a whole long post written up, and I just lost it. Ugh.

Well, suffice to say, Shigzeo's review is excellent (though I think he needs a new keyboard with a working shift key, heheh!). He pretty much sums up my opinion on the Atrio, and indeed the Future Sonics approach in general. Nice write-up, man!

Just one thing: Try Ray Samuels' Tomahawk with your IEMs. It's DEAD SILENT. Absolutely no hiss at all, which was a big problem with my EM3 when I had them hooked up to my H120. I'm not sure how the sound signature will be different (though the Tomahawk seems quite respectable to me), but it will probably do better to attenuate the hiss.

-Packgrog

NP: Opeth - Damnation (with my Tomahawk and Atrio m5)

thanks for the tip with the tomahawk. i have heard others say that it is the best for iem, but it is rather large. the battery life must be great and build looks excellent, but the supermicro iv has the best of both worlds. it produces so little noise with the um2 that it is perfect for listening and it makes my dt880 shine. i used to own a heed but as i have been given notice that myself is shipping out to a small town with small flat very far from here where i would rather my bicycle than my big hifi (med-fi) setup, i had to make choices.

my shift key will eventually work, yes, sorry about that. hmmm, i should make decision now to use it. my job at work is to help exchange students and i do mails all day as well as drawing up huge spreadsheets and other disasters - i want some liberality in my posts - you know... no shift key.

i won't make the ontario head-fi meet so i won't hear the tomahawk, but i would never want to buy one without hearing first. as a um2 owner, i am sure it produces some noise and i am very sensitive to noise and have been a vocal complainer of sources that others found to be noise-free. anyway, i want to check one out... very much.

May 26, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #308 of 2,359
bit of a question about the sound of these things. i'm comparing them to my grado sr80s and i kind of miss the bright highs from the grados. will these come eventually in the burn in???

May 26, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #309 of 2,359
actually is a source issue ....

i was comparing my mobile setup
zune --> pimeta --> atrio m5s
vs
alien dac --> SOHA --> grado sr80s

alien dav --> pimeta --> m5s is a good combo ... just wish i could find my 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor for the SOHA ... grrrrrrr

May 27, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #310 of 2,359
after a long day of not using the atrio, i rode the tube home and put on trance again. i suppose that it is quite an opinion i had before that they did not work too well on the genre. it could be that i was used to detailed as in a razor cutting music into deep yet precise gorges that fascinated me - but today, even trance the holy grail was tamed by the atrio m5. certainly, it was more graceful than i am used to - less hard, treble edges coated in a slight film - yet it was beautiful.

i get the feeling over and over that i am listening to the music rather than the iem - a feeling i have not had since using full size headphones. surely, this extremely under-hyped phone is worth $ even if you pay 199$ for it and i stand by my assesment that it sounds better (for those of you not looking for typical iem sound) than any iem and lands into the realm of true headphones.

wonderful

May 27, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #311 of 2,359
I know it's been asked 3 or so times in this thread, but I haven't seen a real comparison between the M5 and the sf5pro. Anyone wanna bite? Thanks

May 28, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #312 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by matrixxhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it's been asked 3 or so times in this thread, but I haven't seen a real comparison between the M5 and the sf5pro. Anyone wanna bite? Thanks

Have a look to the excellent review of the M5 by tbonner1 :
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239901
"I would place the M5’s better than the UE Super.fi 5 Pro’s in terms of neutrality as the M5’s have bass that just sounds right. They are closer to the Shure E500/SE530 in terms of balance."

May 28, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #313 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_resolu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a look to the excellent review of the M5 by tbonner1 :
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239901
"I would place the M5’s better than the UE Super.fi 5 Pro’s in terms of neutrality as the M5’s have bass that just sounds right. They are closer to the Shure E500/SE530 in terms of balance."

Thanks, seems like I'll have a tough decision then...

May 28, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #314 of 2,359
that is an excellent review. today, i found that the medium flanges work best and i am getting good seal as well as isolation with them whereas at first i think i had trouble as i was used to my um2.

hands down though, better than um2 and much nicer to listen to than the e500 - as author said, there is no sibilance. i got tired of listening after about 5 or 6 hours, perhaps more where was with e500 and um2/er42 etcs, it was very close.

in my review i noted that they sound was a little resonating vibrations through plastic - in my opinion, this is much better than the resonation through metal or cold ice that i always got even with 'warm' iems such as um2.

my girlfriend heard them too and immediately thought of her hd600. she now wants a pair. it looks to be an expensive september birthday quarter!

May 31, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #315 of 2,359
Oh my god.

The Atrio paired up with a (battery powered) Monica 2 DAC is a match made in heaven. Guitars, especially acoustic, sound absolutely wonderful. Bass is deep but not flabby. Details are clear but not harsh. Incredible.

I want to weep. This is marvellous.

-Packgrog

NP: Opeth - Blackwater Park

Users who are viewing this thread

Back