Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 12, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #242 of 2,359
Well i've had a fairly quiet night at work so was able to test my M5 with my supermini3 with the D2.
To be honest i dont think the amp did anything for the earphones, it felt like they lost some of the sondstage presence when i used the amp. I dont know if this is to do with the D2 not having a separate line out or not, dont know enough about these things. Every other DAP I've owned recently has seen an improvement with the amp albeit with different phones.

My workmate who doesnt really listen to music with a portable device had a go(using my clean flange sleeves!) and he felt the M5's were far better without the amp.

Anyway i am loving these IEM's and will continue to burn in over the next few days.

May 12, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #243 of 2,359
Regarding the size for the black shure tips, I used small flanges and small foams so ordered small black shure foamies, they fit very well.
I think further back in this thread Warrior made size comparisons of the med and large supplied foams to the med and large shure foams.

I love my M5's amp'd by a Go Vibe 6. Never use it unamp'd no more. However the player's SQ was not that great and it has a dedicated lineout, so the difference was quite noticeable. Maybe the D2 already has really good SQ so does not benefit much from the amping.

May 12, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #244 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by mho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the size for the black shure tips, I used small flanges and small foams so ordered small black shure foamies, they fit very well.
I think further back in this thread Warrior made size comparisons of the med and large supplied foams to the med and large shure foams.

I love my M5's amp'd by a Go Vibe 6. Never use it unamp'd no more. However the player's SQ was not that great and it has a dedicated lineout, so the difference was quite noticeable. Maybe the D2 already has really good SQ so does not benefit much from the amping.

Think your probably right about the D2. Over at the iaudiophile forums a few dont like the SQ of the D2 but for me it is one of the best i have heard. I'm going to give it another go when the phones are burned in a bit more.

May 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #245 of 2,359
well McCol - I did end up buying a pair - let us see if my d2 and your d2 are similar. hiss just kills me but i love the player overall. i have not tried amping it though with my meizu, i prefer it amped. interesting as their internal amplifier must be the major change between the two as they have similar dac.

one thing i do not like about the d2 is that the hiss changes with volume whilst no ipod i have heard does this - it is background completely. the d2 tends to get louder with every 5 increments of volume or so and then quieter again toward the last 1 or 2 of those 5 increments.

i hope the atrio makes my d2 the machine that everyone who hates ipods thinks it is, otherwise - i'm getting an ipod!

May 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #246 of 2,359
Shigzeo - I've still got an ipod nano(2nd gen) and i much prefer the sound from the D2 especially with M5. Tried the M5 with ipod today and although it sounds excellent for me it still isnt as good as the D2.

As for the hiss on the D2 i've yet to hear this but have read elsewhere about people experiencing this. Could it be your encoded music files?

May 12, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #247 of 2,359
no, it is the machine. i have lesser quality files on my md player which has an amp that for iems is bulletproof. no hiss at all. the d2 has a 37mw or 74mw amp - however you look at it. i will admit, i like how it handles the sound, very sweet - but just not for sensitive sounds... that is fine though, i will just have to use my supermicro all the time...
frown.gif

May 14, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #248 of 2,359
Well I tried the Shure black foamies (Medium) over the weekend and have come to the conclusion that while I love the sound the M5 gives I just can't take the pain they create in my ears. It just seems the pressure from the foam expanding gives me a headache in about 20 minutes. So looks like I'll be flogging these with a pack of the Black Foamies shortly.

I'll stick to the Yuin PK1 and the T1 amp as the sound while not quite as good is still superb.

Steve

May 14, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #249 of 2,359
I don't like the foamies either. I can't get a proper seal half the time and have to mess with them for a little bit before I do. I found that the large double flange tips work very well for me. Nice tight seal, and can't even tell I have them in. But I am wondering if anyone has tried to cut one of the tips off of the flange. I am thinking about giving this a try. It might be moot though cause I do get a great seal from the large.

May 15, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #252 of 2,359
after you found out which is right and left and can mold the bottom half of the earphones to curve it to give a more custom fit too.
I usually tell from the direction its pointing in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back