Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 15, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #256 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zacorias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my M5s arrived today and i've been listening to them for about an hour now. All I have to say is that I've never actually listened to music.... until now!
icon10.gif

Oh yeah these headphones get alot better after burn in. I thought my burn in process was pretty much done but everyday I listen to them they keeping getting better. These headphones are amazing. The music feels so natural and relaxed. Nothing is ever forced.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #257 of 2,359
Well after feeling rather annoyed at not being able to get them to fit comfrotably, so I went through every combination of tip and inserting them and I finally got something I can wear and not feel like something is trying to split my head using my ear canals. I use the medium dual on my left ear and the large on my right. I was always finding that if I could get a nice fit in the right ear then the left felt painful and if I could get the left to feel good I had to shove the right in very deep.

So back to listening pleasure
smily_headphones1.gif

Steve

May 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #258 of 2,359
I had to do they same thing there for awhile as well. All IEM's I have owned i had to use to different sizes to get a comfy fit. I currently use the large and it works fine. Also, I found that if I open my mouth a bit they go in perfectly and seal up nice when I close it. That's good you don't have to return it. I was thinking the same thing when I was having problems with the fit but when I put my Sennheiser CX300's on I could not stand the sound compared to the M5's and I didn't want to lose that.

May 21, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #259 of 2,359
Could anyone compare the M5 to the V-Moda Vibes?

Well, I have the Vibes (first edition - I read that they might sound better than newer Vibe batches), the Super.Fi 5 EB, the CX300 - and also know the Super.Fi Pro and Ety ER-6 quite well. Out of those, I definitely like the Vibes the most. CX300 and SF EB sound almost the same to me, SF Pro are a bit better and more detailed - and I absolutely hate the dull analytic ER-6's sound character.

So is anyone in here with similar sound preferences that could give a statement about Vibes vs. M5? Thanks!

May 21, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #260 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone compare the M5 to the V-Moda Vibes?

Well, I have the Vibes (first edition - I read that they might sound better than newer Vibe batches), the Super.Fi 5 EB, the CX300 - and also know the Super.Fi Pro and Ety ER-6 quite well. Out of those, I definitely like the Vibes the most. CX300 and SF EB sound almost the same to me, SF Pro are a bit better and more detailed - and I absolutely hate the dull analytic ER-6's sound character.

So is anyone in here with similar sound preferences that could give a statement about Vibes vs. M5? Thanks!

Not even close, in my opinion. I just finished listening to an hour of the M5s, and the Vibes can't come close to my ears. Of course, I had written off the M5s (for the Mylarone X3s), but in an A/B environment, I realized the M5s actually are a tad richer, smoother. It was all about the tips. I tried a set of Comply tips, and the M5s came alive for me. I had tried the flanges (hated them) and a pair of the Shure black foamies (small), but they seemed a lousy fit. The regular sized Complys did the trick.

I had Vibes, and they were okay, but not on the same level as the M5s. Of course, there is the price difference, but it's smaller than the sound gap.

May 21, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #261 of 2,359
In regards to Vibes vs M5 (done from memory in regard to the Vibes):

We are comparing apples to oranges here but so be it. Off the bat, the M5s offer much more isolation than the Vibes. Certainly no surprise there since the Vibes are a ported canalphone. I remember my Vibes being very comfortable to wear but so are my M5s - no real winner there in my book.

As for the sound quality - well, the Vibes are just not in the same league here. The Vibes have an emphasis on bass which isn't bad but a bit uncontrolled. Their mids are elevated which helps give the Vibes a warm signature. Highs are rolled off which normally doesn't bother me and I didn't have any real issues with them keeping in mind their price point.

The M5's bass is much more controlled and reaches far deeper than the Vibes are capable of. The mids are more balanced and not elevated. Some feel they are recessed - I tend to disagree but this really comes down to personal preferences. The M5s certainly reach higher than the Vibes but are still rolled off.

In a nutshell - the M5s offer a much broader sound than the Vibes. They have a similar sense of fun factor but in a more detailed and richer package. An interesting difference - the Vibes have a certain air to them due to their ported design. It gives them an almost open sound and decent soundstage. The M5s offer a larger soundstage but don't have that sense of air due to their terrific isolation. This may bother some who are used to canalphones such as the Vibes or JBL 220s but not me.

I liked the Vibes. I bought them early on before they started to catch fire and I was impressed by what they had to offer. But if SQ is what you are looking for, in comparison to the M5s - well... there is no comparison really. The M5s simply smoke the Vibes.

May 21, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #262 of 2,359
My cousin recently returned from her travels to Asia, she brought back for me a pair of JBL 220 from Tokyo Geek Town.
I was expecting these to sound pretty good due to the reviews on here, but however in my ears they sound very standard. I'm not going to write a full A/B comparison as I'm not really experienced for that but I do know that the atrio M5's are way ahead of these in all respects.
After coming back to the M5's after the JBL 220 it made really appreciate how good the M5's sound.
I'm going to keep these JBL's to listen to when im dozing off at night as they offer a bit more calmer sound and also for when I do activities such as snowboarding.

May 21, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #263 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by mho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My cousin recently returned from her travels to Asia, she brought back for me a pair of JBL 220 from Tokyo Geek Town.
I was expecting these to sound pretty good due to the reviews on here, but however in my ears they sound very standard. I'm not going to write a full A/B comparison as I'm not really experienced for that but I do know that the atrio M5's are way ahead of these in all respects.
After coming back to the M5's after the JBL 220 it made really appreciate how good the M5's sound.
I'm going to keep these JBL's to listen to when im dozing off at night as they offer a bit more calmer sound and also for when I do activities such as snowboarding.

Totally agree. I really like my 220s and use them when walking the dog so I can still hear environmental noise - such as a car coming from behind. But like the Vibes, they are not in the same league as the M5s. Of course they are not meant to be either and is not a fair comparison.

May 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #264 of 2,359
yes that's true, it would be like comparing football teams in different leagues. One which is good for a lower league will no doubt be nothing compared to a team in the top flight league.

May 21, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #265 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by mho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes that's true, it would be like comparing football teams in different leagues. One which is good for a lower league will no doubt be nothing compared to a team in the top flight league.

Good analogy!

May 21, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #266 of 2,359
....feel sorry for my wallet.
Think of getting a pair of cans, will something like Senn HD595 or Alessandro MS-1 match the SQ of the M5's?
Don't really want to spend too much on the cans.

May 22, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #267 of 2,359
It really depends on what you're after, mho. The sound style of open phones like the HD595 is going to be pretty different, so it's difficult to compare. Don't know anything about the MS-1.

*whimper* Meanwhile, my Atrio started shorting out in the right earpiece. What is it with me and crappy luck lately? *sigh* Thankfully, however, Future Sonics responded right away, and they will be replacing them for me. I have to send the shorted ones back to them. They really do take care of their customers.

On the other bright side, I thankfully still have the EM3, which I'd given/loaned to my wife. I can tell right away that the soundstage is more compressed, and the highs are a more rolled-off than the Atrio. They still sound superb, though, and I'd forgotten how much I love the sound signature of the EM3. The lows and mids on the EM3 are so warm and inviting. Lovely and lush. I've kind of missed these. The Atrio is definitely better, but the EM3 is still wonderful. So glad I still have them. It'll make the wait for a replacement Atrio more bearable.

May 22, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #268 of 2,359
Well now, this is interesting...

Laxx (fellow Head-Fier and my co-worker) brought in his pair of E500's today and let me try them out. I must say, they ARE amazing. And well they should be for their price.

But my opinion of them is the opposite of his. Whereas he finds the E500 too warm, I find them a bit bright and sterile compared to my Atrio. The soundstage on both is amazing, but I'm not finding the E500 all that enjoyable. At least not with Rock. Everything is kind of harsh to my ears. And this is with my large Future Sonics foams (his black Shure foams are too small for my ears).

I have to say, I do prefer the sound of the Atrio, but I can see why people love the E500. The E500 is just too bright for me, I'm afraid. Too bad, too, 'cause they're gorgeous IEMs.

So yeah, I'd say they're fairly comparable in the soundstage department, with the Atrio revealing more bass while the E500 reveals more treble.

Now I have to give Laxx some hell for thinking these have too much bass. What? :p

May 22, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #269 of 2,359
i have found myself probably tiring of iems that use the armature driver. it is fun, detailed and precise, but too much. even the um2 as much as it is beautiful is somewhat too clinical to me after listening to big headphones where i can actually feel some of the softness of the giant diaphram vibrating. even smaller dynamics like the atrio m5 i prefer for similar reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back