Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 11, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #226 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I don't run into too many people who love metal, give me a short list of the bands you listen to, metal or not. I like to find out what other lovers of metal listen to.

For me: Opeth, Grip Inc, Dimmu Borgir, The Project Hate, Vomitory, Meshuggah, Hollenthon, Exodus, Enslaved, Bloodbath, Dew Scented, Led Zeppelin, Old Mans Child, Crisis, Finntroll, Megadeth, The Tea Party, Thyrfing, Naglfar, Mercyful Fate, Luca Turilli (and Rhapsody), Annihilator, - to name only a few of the 6,000+ songs and 400+ CD's still to rip.

With the style of music I like, finding an IEM that fits the bill has been wonderful!!

Well Your Pretty much matches mine. The bands I would add are as follows. Emperor (Anthems to the Welkins and Dusk and Prometheus the discipline of fire and demise), Ihsahn, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Riverside, Grief of Emerald, Necrophagist, Vampire Mooose, Immortal, Katatonia, Melachesh, Suffacation, In Flames (early), At the Gates

Thats the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Some much more. I got About 10,000 songs on my Ipod and I would say that about 75% is some sort of metal and the majority is black metal. I got a pretty good collection of underground hip-hop as well (at least from a metalheads perspective) if your interested.

Morningrise is my favorite album by Opeth. It lacks the flow of the other albums but it is mastefully done. BWP is what drew me into the swedish scene. And probably there most technical album. Beside the recording quality of Ghost Reveries its my least favorite. Guitars are simple for Opeth. The structure and the feel for the album I love. And to say that an album of this quality is my least favorite says alot about this band.

May 11, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #227 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have been AB testing the ER4P and Atrio M5 for 15 minutes, using a two-pronged plug from my Creative Vision M headphone jack (no amp, EQ off and no bass boost, which the CVM offers). And I have to say, I like them both, even though they are very different. I have no real technical knowledge, I just like quality sound, and it seems to me the Etys and the M5s are different animals, but who says you have to favor the beauty of a tiger over the grace of a Cheetah? So I can deliver any technical reasons why I feel they are both keepers. I do find the Etys easier to insert (using the Comply short foamies, which are a great match with the ER4Ps), but I am waiting on a set of the new Shure black foamies for the M5s. I also will try out a pair of the Comply tips on the M5s as well. Makes sense they will work.

So my admittedly limited technical expertise aside, I find both products worth keeping. That may seem odd, and maybe long-term one will win out over the other. But for now, I can't part with either. Though I have to say, the longer I hear that amazingly tight, bold bass line on Black Cow by Steely Dan rumbling as I type, the M5s are really starting to grow on me. When I switch over to the Etys, the Steely Dan clarity is apparent, but the base seems so far away (without the boost turned on). Hmmm. Could be a portent of things to come.

Anyway, that's my humble comparison. Not much of a decision, I suppose. But I really do like the M5s, and can't wait for those new tips to arrive.

Oh, did I mention I also ordered a pair of Crossroads MylarOne X3s as well (on their way)? Have to see how they stack up. If not much different than the M5s, then one of them will have to go. Or not. Doh!

This place is gonna make me nuts.

Really want to hear from you. Dont you think you got away with that!
cool.gif

May 11, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #228 of 2,359
Received my M5's this morning from handheldaudio.
Straight out of the box and using my Cowan D2 with flac files these sound awesome. Now got them burning in as i type.
Cant compare them to anything in the higher price range but compared to my Im716, V-moda vibes and er6i's, I think that these will sound far better.

Love the feeling of the bass but it doesnt seem to sacrifice the mids and highs to do this.

Will post again later with more impressions after a bit of burn in and after listening to various artists.

May 11, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #229 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by McCol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my M5's this morning from handheldaudio.
Straight out of the box and using my Cowan D2 with flac files these sound awesome. Now got them burning in as i type.
Cant compare them to anything in the higher price range but compared to my Im716, V-moda vibes and er6i's, I think that these will sound far better.

Love the feeling of the bass but it doesnt seem to sacrifice the mids and highs to do this.

Will post again later with more impressions after a bit of burn in and after listening to various artists.

can you tell me if they hiss? please plug them in, listen to the machine without any music playing and/or with low volumes. i find that my 27 ohm um2 hiss at anything and my d2 no less. please tell me your findings

May 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #230 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you tell me if they hiss? please plug them in, listen to the machine without any music playing and/or with low volumes. i find that my 27 ohm um2 hiss at anything and my d2 no less. please tell me your findings

I assume you mean hiss between tracks? or in the background?

To be honest i cant hear any hiss on any the tracks i've been trying this afternoon or between tracks.

I tried to let these burn in for a while but had a little listen at some Wedding Present and Malcolm Middleton. The detail and soundstage from these phones really amazes me, you can really feel the bass but it is not overpowering or muddy.

May 11, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #231 of 2,359
Quote:

think you will find that it is not really the headphones that hiss, but it is due to the source not being able to cope so well with the low impedence.

read Packgrogs comments above about his iRiver DAP

May 11, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #232 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibling Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think you will find that it is not really the headphones that hiss, but it is due to the source not being able to cope so well with the low impedence.

read Packgrogs comments above about his iRiver DAP

right, so i stated it strangely! the cowon is rated as 16 ohms and still hisses with my um2 which are 27 ohm. my minidisk player is the only one to not exhibit any hiss at all. my usb transit also only exhibits a little bit, very tiny and not annoying but the cowon d2 has made me upset quite a few times - nothing like an iriver or a shuffle, but... bad.

the hiss does not dwell inbetween tracks, but rather throughout.

May 11, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #233 of 2,359
I have noticed a slight hiss while no music is playing. Not a problem. When music is playing I don't here anything. Unlike my CX300's where you could here a hiss when the music slowed down. Some of my tracks will have a low hiss on it but I think this is because of the compression of my files. When i converted over to my Ipod from my Creative I converted all my files to ACC format. Could be wrong though.

May 11, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #234 of 2,359
Quote:

right, so i stated it strangely! the cowon is rated as 16 ohms and still hisses with my um2 which are 27 ohm. my minidisk player is the only one to not exhibit any hiss at all. my usb transit also only exhibits a little bit, very tiny and not annoying but the cowon d2 has made me upset quite a few times - nothing like an iriver or a shuffle, but... bad.

the hiss does not dwell inbetween tracks, but rather throughout.

to be fair I've only ever really heard packgrog knock the iriver H100 series so much for this!...and I thought the new cown daps were supposed to be superior in sq....

I think I said before I can hear a slight hiss when no music is playing with my H140, but I have to listen pretty carefully to really notice. I certainly cannot hear any hiss at all whilst listening to music, my m5's are sounding pretty good now I've burnt them in with 12hours pink noise.....
etysmile.gif

May 11, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #235 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibling Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to be fair I've only ever really heard packgrog knock the iriver H100 series so much for this!...and I thought the new cown daps were supposed to be superior in sq....

I think I said before I can hear a slight hiss when no music is playing with my H140, but I have to listen pretty carefully to really notice. I certainly cannot hear any hiss at all whilst listening to music, my m5's are sounding pretty good now I've burnt them in with 12hours pink noise.....
etysmile.gif

cheers sibling - hiss or no hiss with my portables, i picked them up from the roaddie - maybe ill be hearing them next week. something about lower-fi iems is a good idea - or lower price. the er4s - naturally no hiss at all from pretty much any source but egads... my nice um2 - bye bye

May 11, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #236 of 2,359
Keep in mind that hiss should go away with a good headphone amp (ie: the Tomahawk is dead silent, and so is my Cowon A2). I don't remember the terms for what causes and prevents the hiss, but it's only an issue with very sensitive earphones. My Beyerdynamics DT250-80 exhibit no hiss at all with the H120, for example. But then, since I bought the Tomahawk, I haven't noticed hiss at all...
wink.gif

May 11, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #237 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really want to hear from you. Dont you think you got away with that!
cool.gif

? Want to hear from me? You mean, about the X3s? Not here yet, but I am liking the M5s more and more each day.

May 11, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #238 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that hiss should go away with a good headphone amp (ie: the Tomahawk is dead silent, and so is my Cowon A2). I don't remember the terms for what causes and prevents the hiss, but it's only an issue with very sensitive earphones. My Beyerdynamics DT250-80 exhibit no hiss at all with the H120, for example. But then, since I bought the Tomahawk, I haven't noticed hiss at all...
wink.gif

yes, but i do not want to have to carry an amp when say i am out and about. when i have my bag etc fine, but i do not like to go about town with a bag just for an audio setup - i do have some morals. i am only talking about iems... none of my full size headphones exhibit any hiss with anything... wait, my ksc75 do with the 2g shuffle... and the iriver triangle one

May 11, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #239 of 2,359
being playing around a bit more with my new purchase and for now at least I've settled on using the larger foam tips.....am interested in some black shure ones though so if anyone can tell me what fits and suggest somewhere decent to get some that would be appreciated.

I'd also confer with what others have said about sound feeling outside you head - the stereo width feels very wide indeed!

...back to the hiss.....my H140 has a line out as well as headphone socket. various iriver forums have always lead me to believe that output from each is the same but the M5's have highlighted that is not the case.

If I tweak eq, the line out stays pretty much flat, which I guess is what you would expect. In addition I can hear slight hiss (when everyting quiet) from the headphone socket, but If I plug the M5's into the line out socket I don't hear any hiss at all

...this would also make sense with what packgrog said, 'cos I assume when using his headphone amp he uses line out, and when not puts his headphones in the actual headphone socket?

May 12, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #240 of 2,359
I'm finding the same as Sibling Chris on the foams, find the large one's suit me best. Will probably order some of the new Shure black foams but not sure which size to go for.

I'm at work now on the night shift and have bought the D2 and the M5's with me. I've also bought my xin supermini 3 to try with the above 2. Not sure how it will sound as the D2 doesnt have a dedicated line out. will this make a difference compared to players that have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back