Futuresonics Atrio M5
Jul 25, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #571 of 2,359
Just ordered my M5s! I think they are exactly what I'm looking for. I want to burn them in for as long as I can without listening to them (10-100 hours seems to be suggested on here). What is the best way to burn them in? Just set it on random play from my collection or a loop of pink noise?

Just out of interest, how and why does the driver response change during this burn in period? Is there any measurable difference in their response pre and post burn in? I've often thought that part of the change people talk about is actually their own perceptions as they get accustomed to a headphone? What do you think?

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #572 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can only go by my experience. When I first got mine, I too found the X3 sound better, but after some pink noise burn-in, and longer use, I can say there is no comparison between the M5 and the X3.

Well I let them burn in on random music for maybe 20hours, and no significant difference on the balance issue.

I tried with different tips, and theres maybe one point where they sound more balanced (ie the bass emphasis drops with a less complete seal), and the frequencies seem more balanced. I have to hold physically hold the M5s at a certain angle for this to happen. Maybe I have odd earcanal shapes
blink.gif

The X3s achieve this for me with insertion time < 1second.

I think this sound sig just isn't for me overall, my face cans are the k501s at the moment, and they're rather bass shy. Shall be putting these up on the FS forums shortly for anyone in Australia
icon10.gif

Thanks for the help guys!

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #573 of 2,359
I have a feeling you don't get the seal right. It took me about 2 weeks before I finally got it. You know when it's right when you dont feel them inside your ear and the bass isn't overwelming and still good isolation.
I do it like this (with the rubbers). I hold my ear up with my other hand en put them in, but not too far just enough so don't fall out. Then I don't pull my ear anymore and press on the atrio's from the bottom up my ear till the seal is right, but don't push too far. Just the moment you are isolated and not further.
But you might be right, they miss highs to me too. Even the 555's, cx300 and px100 are more brighter and energetic.

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #574 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenBrouwer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling you don't get the seal right. It took me about 2 weeks before I finally got it. You know when it's right when you dont feel them inside your ear and the bass isn't overwelming and still good isolation.

I believe I reached this point, it seemed alright too, until I switched to the X3s n ksc75s. The M5s just don't give the same kind of emotion that other cans do (with the music I listen to). It does wonders for cellos and other bassy instruments, but is relatively quite veiled for others (I've been testing them on various Vivaldi tracks, and largely acoustic music).

I can see why you guys like these, but I think i'll be looking elsewhere for that elusive portable ideal sound
etysmile.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #575 of 2,359
The M5's grow on you if you are the type that listens for extended periods of time. One of their strengths is that they do not induce listener fatigue.

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #576 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by simonm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've often thought that part of the change people talk about is actually their own perceptions as they get accustomed to a headphone? What do you think?

I bet this is the case for much more than 50% of the times where people say "burn in"

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #577 of 2,359
Although I'm usually skeptical of burn-in claims, there's no doubt in my mind that the sound sig of the Atrios changed quite a bit afterwards. I say this because I didn't spend much time listening to the Atrios during that process -- I was using my Shures instead, and after an extended test of the Atrios, started switching back and forth so that I had a reference. It's not foolproof, but I do think that you can do a decent job of comparing when you're switching back and forth.

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #578 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M5's grow on you if you are the type that listens for extended periods of time. One of their strengths is that they do not induce listener fatigue.

Agree, as usual. Spent 6 hours on the beach today, listening to the M5s. No fatigue, none. Using the large FS foamies now (moved from Shure Olives) and you don't even know they are there, plus with no EQ, fatigue is not an issue.

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #579 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by yobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sure hope you're right about that. I just received mine today. The bass is rather heavy for me at the moment, enough that it's washing out the rest of the frequencies. Everything other than the bass seems... muddy :S.

I've found myself getting accustomed to the sound after a few hours, but switching back to my crossroad X3s, I suddenly hear a whole heap of 'airyness' in the presentation.

Amping the M5s does not sufficiently change the colouration of sound at the moment, and not too keen on EQing the bass away or increasing other frequencies (largely due to the nano 2g i'm using having a relatively bad EQ).

Cello's are something special with the M5s though
etysmile.gif
. Pachabel Canon D is getting extra airtime hehe.

Will changing the tips fix this up for me?

blink.gif
canon has a horrid cello part...

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #580 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif

Hehehe that may be true, though I barely even noticed it before
tongue.gif
. Cello Suite was the other song of choice
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #581 of 2,359
Just got my Shure tips in yesterday... they're fantastic! Extremely comfortable, terrific isolation, and they really do wonders for the sound. I was using the FS foamies before, and was already sufficiently impressed, but the impact and texture of the bass got another wonderful bump from the switch to the Shures, without getting at all overpowering or muddy. Leonard Cohen's voice all of a sudden sounds very close to what I imagine it would be like listening to God talk to me about a Tower of Song...

Jul 26, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #582 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif

As a former cellist and having played Pachelbel's Canon in D for weddings and such, I whole-heartedly agree.
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #583 of 2,359
If you haven't heard it yet, seek out a recording of Rob Paravonian's bit on Canon in D. It never fails to make me or anyone who I've played it for smile and laugh, and it's all about his obsession with Canon in D after a traumatic experience playing it as a cellist.

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #584 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't heard it yet, seek out a recording of Rob Paravonian's bit on Canon in D. It never fails to make me or anyone who I've played it for smile and laugh, and it's all about his obsession with Canon in D after a traumatic experience playing it as a cellist.

Yep, seen it. Here's a link to a recording of it on YouTube.

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #585 of 2,359
I was about to comment on Future Sonics fantastic customer service, but things have gone horribly wrong. Things started out excellent. They responded to my support request email in less than 12 hours with instructions on how to ship them back, and even told me to "Give a holler" if I had any problems. I sent them out, and they sent notification and a tracking number on my replacement pair the very same day they received my old pair. All's good right? Wrong. They have shipped it out to the wrong address.
eek.gif
The city and street associated with the tracking number are correct, but they put the wrong apt. letter on it! Apt. 2 instead of Apt. Q. How can you mix those two up! I found out about this a little before 7PM yesterday, and still haven't received any replies to my emails. Guess they must be closed for the weekend. Hope I still get them.
frown.gif

So here's some advice for those of you who might have to get your pair replaced. Write BIG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back