Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Jun 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #901 of 1,216
I like that brown and white colour contrast. I will admit if the MG7 had a much better build quality then I would of kept it. If it had a detachable cable then I would of loved it. I just knew my pair wouldn't last long after the warranty expired, so I acted on it early.

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #903 of 1,216
Quote:
Do these loop over the ear or not? I'm unsure how to get the best fit.

You can wear them either way, I wear them down but over the ears works good to and has less microphonics.

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #904 of 1,216
Okay. I only ask because I cannot get them to sit properly hanging down and I know on other 'phones if you flip them upside down it really screws up the sound. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #905 of 1,216
So I figured I should give some impressions:

I'm using these with the double-flanged medium tips, inverted over the ear. I've used a few in-ear buds over the years, the only "good" ones being the Shure SE115's, the Klipsch S4's, and the Etymotic HF3's, and there's just no contest. It's not just that the MG7's have excellent low-end. A lot of buds have good bass. Hell V-Moda Bass Freq (if y'all remember those things) could move air. What makes these so incredible is that even as they rattle my eardrums down to 20Hz, there's no loss in clarity in the mids or highs.

Now, I'll say that the isolation isn't the best I've heard (that'd be the Etymotics) nor are the trebles crystalline (again, Etymotic), but unless you're using these while sitting on an airport runway the former point is irrelevant, and the slightly muted trebles mean that you can listen to your music at a nice hefty volume for longer without it starting to wear on the ear.

Whenever I get headphones, I have basically three things I check on:

1) The aforementioned low extension. With this, I use Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level". Not a great song, but incredibly low bass.
2) Ambiance and soundstage. For here, it's an orchestral arrangement of the FF7 soundtrack. Shaddap.
3) Ability to keep distinct sounds even when the music is incredibly busy and fast. In this case, I used Vital Remains' "Icons of Evil".

In each case, the MG7's performed beautifully. The lows were genuinely rattling, I could hear the valves opening and closing on the woodwinds of the orchestra, and no matter how frenetic the guitars and double bass were, everything felt separate. That's an important distinction. It wasn't just that I could hear everything, but the instruments with these genuinely sound separate, like you can actually hear them as individual elements as opposed to a single unit of sound.

If there's any complaint I have, it's that the fit is VERY dicey on these things. On more than one occasion, I yawned and managed to slightly shift one earpiece enough to make the sound get blocked entirely. Not a huge deal, a quick tap fixed it, but these aren't headphones I'll be using in the gym (aside from the fact that I don't want to break really nice phones). I'll still be taking the Skullcandies to the gym.

TL;DR? I have a pair of earbuds that are good enough that I no longer feel like I'm cheating myself by not listening to music in my car. There may be better products out there for the price (I couldn't say without trying them all), but despite having paid less than $100 by purchasing them from another H-F'er, I would ABSOLUTELY have paid full. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #907 of 1,216
Right now an Asus Zenbook with a Fiio E6 amp, listening to music via MOG at 320kbps. Apparently the Zenbook's audio is by [size=small]Bang & Olufsen's ICEpower, whatever that means. But it's damn good for a laptop.[/size]

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #909 of 1,216
Quote:

If there's any complaint I have, it's that the fit is VERY dicey on these things. On more than one occasion, I yawned and managed to slightly shift one earpiece enough to make the sound get blocked entirely. Not a huge deal, a quick tap fixed it, but these aren't headphones I'll be using in the gym (aside from the fact that I don't want to break really nice phones). I'll still be taking the Skullcandies to the gym.

If you really love them and are willing to take the plunge, a pair of custom SofterWear sleeves will help you get the fit right all the time, with no chance of them shifting. I too experienced the same fit issues with the silicone sleeves, but I'm now using the custom sleeves and I never worry that I'm not listening to them the right way.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #910 of 1,216
For those who are loving their Atrio and want to go to the next level--there's the incredible 20% Off sale on the MG6Pro going until July 15th--just use the code RealSpeakers at futuresonics.com

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #911 of 1,216
for thouse who dont want to spend a fortune on the mg6pro then you can get the custume sleve witch is amzing and totaly worth it, i think you can use a coupon called "Go Custom" and get 20% off. but its still a dream to own those mg6 pros 
frown.gif

comfert is ok you can sleep with it but after a 4 hours + it becomes a bit painfull

sound
the most drematic diffrence is the sound stage i used comply tips and you cant even compare on how good they sound. the lows dont really change at all the mids are mucth more clear the highs are more extended only a littel

Note the build quilty of the atrios especialy the bottem rubber part is crap (complety fell off), the rest of the headphone is all good

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #912 of 1,216
Ordered my MG7s yesterday.  :)  Can't wait for them to come in!  I've been travelling (nervously) with my HD 650s for a while now, and just thought it was time to get something to travel with.  The MG7s seemed like most of what I want.  If I like them enough, I'll probably get the custom molds for them.  That will make them at least come close to comparing to the comfort of the 650s... a little... heh...

Anyway, can't wait for them to come in!

Brandon

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #913 of 1,216
After a little more time with these, I really can't speak highly enough for them. I'm probably going to pick up an e11 amp, and down the right the softerwear sleeves (though honestly I'm able to listen for 6-8 hours at a clip with the double flanges no problem).

Having these has me listening to more hip hop just because I love how cleanly they reproduce low frequencies. I've never had 'phones handle low duties this well. It's surreal.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #914 of 1,216
Quote:
After a little more time with these, I really can't speak highly enough for them. I'm probably going to pick up an e11 amp, and down the right the softerwear sleeves (though honestly I'm able to listen for 6-8 hours at a clip with the double flanges no problem).

Having these has me listening to more hip hop just because I love how cleanly they reproduce low frequencies. I've never had 'phones handle low duties this well. It's surreal.

i have both e11 amp and the coustome sleves they really make these shine in almost any genera 

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #915 of 1,216
Quote:

I"m not a bass head by any means, but these have really allowed me to appreciate some of my more bass heavy music. Especially when I use my ZO2 amp...the bass is really solid. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back