Furutech GT40 USB DAC (24/96)/ headphone amp
Dec 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #17 of 32
^ Lol, my balanced phono amp alone costs twice as much as this thing!

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 32
Interesting product, I prefer vintage gear to be honest. If the phono is good who knows but at the moment I am eying a Fisher integrated...

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #20 of 32
Dec 18, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 32
I googled and I found a post in a forum that commented on the Futuretech regarding its sound, I assume at least the DAC that it sounded less digital than the CA Dagmagic and typically Futuretech. The poster wrote he thought of it as a keeper. 

Anyone on Head-Fi?

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #22 of 32
The photo of the ipad with audio software, is that Amarra? if so, which version? thxs

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #23 of 32
considering buying a GT 40, in this photo here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2701/4467133427_d410b795da_b.jpg

it must be from a pre-production model? as the final product only seems to intput via USB? I wish it could also accept optical as I'd like to connect the GT 40 to the Onkyo ND-S1 all digital out transport for ipod/iphone etc.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #24 of 32
The one in the phone does have optical in and out.

In fact it has coax and optical in and out.

Quote:
considering buying a GT 40, in this photo here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2701/4467133427_d410b795da_b.jpg

it must be from a pre-production model? as the final product only seems to intput via USB? I wish it could also accept optical as I'd like to connect the GT 40 to the Onkyo ND-S1 all digital out transport for ipod/iphone etc.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #25 of 32
Had the opportunity to listen to The Furutech GT40 last night. It was a pleasure. Cool piece of gear. May have the chance to bring it to the next meet.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #27 of 32
I gave in and ordered one, it showed up today. The headphone output is good, I'm driving it with a macbook pro and listening with Earsonic SM3's. I need better headphones, that will probably happen soon. Unfortunately the only thing I really have to compare it to is my iPhone 4, which loses detail and not nearly as quiet. 

I did a little listening to vinyl, the sound seemed more coherent than with my bottlehead seduction phono stage with tighter bass, but it also was clinical/sterile/whatever you want to call it and not very engaging. That was with my main 2-channel system though and not with the IEM's - the amp is a Red Wine Audio Sig 30, and I'm thinking that if I wanted to use the Furutech as a phono stage then I will probably need to get a tube amp.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll try recording some records to 24/96. This things is definitely a pretty cool little toy.

Gary

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #28 of 32
OMG. I just recorded a few seconds of Miles Davis to wav with this thing, granted it's a reference-quality disc (sound wise, not necessarily content wise) but I am absolutely blown away by this thing: 

http://www.pandathumbaudio.com/download/MilesDavisImport.wav

This is a Clearaudio Emotion and Adcom cart plugged directly into the Furutech and then run to my computer by usb, recorded with Audacity. 

gary

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #30 of 32
I ended up buying one, I'm still not quite ready to post any comments though. At first the thing sounded terrible, but I realized that apple "lossless" files played with iTunes was the primary culprit (this is really my first attempt at using my computer to feed my system and I have a lot to learn). Now I've re-ripped most of my CD's with XLD and I'm using Audirvana for playback so it's sounding much better. My system lacks dynamics now though and I'm not sure if the problem is the Furutech. It probably is (the amp is an upgraded Decware Zen and the speakers are Bastanis Prometheus so I'm afraid the Furutech will not be near the same level and ultimately will not stay in my system). Anyway I've just bought a used Audio-gd reference 19 mk3 so I will probably post some more thoughts once I have that to compare to.

As a headphone amp it sounds great though, and it does an impressive job ripping vinyl to high res. As a phono stage it's not bad, although not as good as my Bottlehead Seduction.

gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back