FUN THREAD - Your dream audio setup
May 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #32 of 45
Balanced Audio VK-D5 SE Wilson Benesch Full Circle Cary Audio Design SLP-98L F1 EAR USA 834P Lamm Industries ML-2 Avantgarde Duo Omega Crystal Cable MicroConnect Crystal Cable Micro Grand Prix Audio Monaco Modular rack & amp stands Shunyata Hydra 6 AC filter

When you see the all out system expense, this is just nice and simple. OR.........................................................................................

May 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #33 of 45
If I had the right room and was to build a dream system it would be on the modest side of dream systems lol. Just a couple of Klipshorns and a WA5, a good turntable/phono stage and DAC, add in a few headphones and nice NOS tubes and I would be all set. I like to drool at the McIntosh components from time to time as well as the more esoteric speakers and huge dollar turntables but I just wouldn't go there personally so there you have it.

May 7, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #34 of 45
Meridian DSP8000 active speaker, MF M1 DAC and headphone amp and Grado PS1000

And somewhere to listen to it all...

Maison d’etre Properties

Our fully soundproofed Garden Studio should satisfy the most discerning recording artist. With the option of a ‘room within a room’, even serious drummers will be alone in their element during sessions. The Studio is insulated throughout (floor, walls, vaulted ceiling. It has double outer and inner skins using special acoustic boards from leading UK manufacturers of acoustic insulation. The doors and windows are custom made with special acoustic double glazing. Recording in a Maison d’etre Studio located in central London, just yards from the Old Kent Road will be almost like a professional Studio, but at a fraction of the cost.
  1. Fully soundproofed
  2. Vaulted Ceiling
  3. Double outer and inner skins
  4. Polymeric acoustic sandwich to floor, walls and ceiling
  5. Custom windows and doors; electrical outlets and distribution board installed without compromising the acoustic seals
  6. Acoustic seals to door and windows.

May 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #35 of 45
forgot the bathroom

May 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #36 of 45

Quote:
Quote:

You could use a projector with an acoustically invisible screen and put the center speaker behind it like they do in cinemas.

I like the idea, but is "acoustically invisible" material actually possible? I think for cinemas it's close enough, but would think to a more critical ear, it would be tough to have a good image and not filter the sound at all. Maybe it is possible and I just don't know about it, but it seems like it would lack on one end or the other???

May 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #38 of 45
My dream setup:

Teres Audio Certus Direct Drive Turntable
Graham Phantom Arm 
Lyra Titan cartridge

Audio Research Reference 5 Preamp
Manley Lab Steelhead Phono amp
Audio Research VTM 200 mono blocks

Vandersteen 5A loudspeaker

Free standing listening room designed by Rives
Eames Lounge chair 

Oh wait, that is my system. Haven't yet heard anything better

May 17, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #39 of 45

Quote:
I like the idea, but is "acoustically invisible" material actually possible? I think for cinemas it's close enough, but would think to a more critical ear, it would be tough to have a good image and not filter the sound at all. Maybe it is possible and I just don't know about it, but it seems like it would lack on one end or the other???

Your probably right there.  I've seen several "almost" acoustically invisible projector screens used in very high end home cinemas on the net but I have no idea how well this method actually works in practice.

Personally I like home cinemas that only have two front speakers rather than three. At least this way you can use the two front speakers to create a "phantom" center channel so that the sound appears to come from the screen rather than above or below the screen like it does when you physically place a center channel speaker above or below the screen.

May 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #41 of 45

Quote:
Whatever this psycho-killer has and his amazing listening room. I got the pics from the Korean movie, "Man of Vendetta." The guy got his gear by killing audiophiles he met on forums.

Lol that chair is all wrong, a big puffy high back like that is going to be reflection city. Uh, you're also gonna stick to it in that condition.

May 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #42 of 45
well i will be honest. "things" bring me great happiness. i know that is very shallow. whatever works,right? that being said, my family(both human and animals) are the most important in my life. now, i am completley content with my audio gear and do not intend to purchase anything else for some time. unless some huge upgrade landed on my doorstep. i have a knack at getting stuff for pennies on the dollar. as i did with all my audio gear(used). i really prefer to spend my money on live shows. since getting a live show in your home everyday is a little impossible no matter who you are. i will say even the best gear is no match for a good live show.

May 24, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #43 of 45
I want a Koetsu cartridge in every stone & wood available. Heck why don't we go for two of each, just to be on the safe side.
I want a Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable. Heck - make that two, to setup more arm/cartridge combinations. Since it's a dream I could go for the Statement, but perhaps that's a bit too gaudy.
I'd want to have at least the following tonearms: an Ikeda in chrome finish, a Dynavector 507 Mk II, and a Fidelity Research 64s or 66s (in mint condition). Maybe a Graham Phantom II, too.
Much as I love my Kensingtons, I'd want bigger Tannoys - Canterburys or the new Kingdoms.
Love my Rogue tube gear, but at this point of the dream it'd be time to look at VAC's statement pieces.

May 24, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #44 of 45
thats weird. i just posted a few days ago about my unhappiness with the statement. it does not have a dustcover. the horror.
prog rock man, the ps1000 are your dream headphones? i love them too. they seem to have gone unloved around here now. what happened to zanth? i wonder if he still feels the same way.

May 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #45 of 45
Answer for main question is easy

NAGRA Transport

NAGRA DAC

Rudistore RPX 300

Sony MDR-R10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back