FUN THREAD - Your dream audio setup
Apr 24, 2011 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

For me, my happiness isn't dependant on having stuff, and that includes audio gear - I find that thinking I have to have stuff in order to be happy is an ineffective way to live my life.

That said, there's nothing wrong with stuff, and it can be loads of fun to speculate what could be cool stuff to have, and it occurred to me that it could be fun to start a thread to answer the following question:

If you could have any audio setup that you wanted, what would it be?

Love, W.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 45
Really close to what I already have, but an 009 to keep company with my 007 would be nice. I suppose a super stat amp would be fun, but the improvement would be so marginal I might not be able to get excited about it. I have the best amps and speakers available to play music the way I want it played, and I am more than happy with my sources. Except for the new Stax, more money for equipment would gain me nothing.

Where the funds would come in handy would be buying more music. Show me how to buy a longer life to enjoy the music longer and you will really have my attention.

In the end, the problem with your question in my case is that swapping equipment around is not nearly as much fun as listening to great music. It takes time away from listening; I am a music lover much more than I am an audio equipment hobbyist. If it takes 50% of my time to gain 1% in sound quality, that is not time well spent for me personally. I should not have even posted this, sorry! I have been at this since the 1950s and I am so close to where I could ever want to be with this journey, I guess my opinion and experience is irrelevant to your thread.

In other words, the law of diminishing returns has rendered gear irrelevant for me. I hope you all get here someday!

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 45
     Quote:
Really close to what I already have, but an 009 to keep company with my 007 would be nice. I suppose a super stat amp would be fun, but the improvement would be so marginal I might not be able to get excited about it. I have the best amps and speakers available to play music the way I want it played, and I am more than happy with my sources. Except for the new Stax, more money for equipment would gain me nothing.

Where the funds would come in handy would be buying more music. Show me how to buy a longer life to enjoy the music longer and you will really have my attention.

In the end, the problem with your question in my case is that swapping equipment around is not nearly as much fun as listening to great music. It takes time away from listening; I am a music lover much more than I am an audio equipment hobbyist. If it takes 50% of my time to gain 1% in sound quality, that is not time well spent for me personally. I should not have even posted this, sorry! I have been at this since the 1950s and I am so close to where I could ever want to be with this journey, I guess my opinion and experience is irrelevant to your thread.

In other words, the law of diminishing returns has rendered gear irrelevant for me. I hope you all get here someday!

Thanks for your reply.

For me, listening to music is the important thing; that is absolutely first and foremost above listening to equipment, which can be fun and interesting to a point, but in the end hearing audio equipment matters little to me in comparison to hearing music.

When I have mixed and matched between audio equipment, I have tended to listen to the equipment more and to the music in a different way, noticing details previously unheard to me, and that is OK. But if you want to enjoy the experience of a piece of music, listening to the music with the equipment you have now is the best and only way to go about it now.  

I think it's OK to experiment with different audio equipment to get to know what different equipment sounds like if that's what you want to do; I guess that's the point of the equipment listening hobby. But if you want to listen to music, you just listen to the music with what you have. Your equipment may not be 'perfect' but it doesn't need to be for music to work its wonders. 

For me, essentially as long as my equipment doesn't get in the way of the music and I can hear the music clearly, then more often than not the music takes me to that wonderful place that only music can. I understand that I'm fundamentally OK without having the 'perfect' audio rig and also enjoy what I have. Having a 'top-tier' audio rig is a bonus, that I would gratefully accept though. :)

I wish you health and longevity to enjoy music through your rig!

P.S. I've heard that raw-foodism, exercise, and having a meaningful life all contribute towards longevity. But we never know what's gonna happen, so here's to enjoying life NOW. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 45
I've got a pretty high end setup right now that I'm happy with, haven't "upgraded" for several years now.
But a dream system would be something like:

TOTL Audio Note DAC
Smyth Realiser
Apex Pinnacle
Sony R10

Or the upcoming STAX flagship with a matching bank account draining amplifier.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 45
Windsor, I said I hope you all get here someday, but it appears you are here already. Interesting how wisdom can reduce the necessity of experience with some quests. I have met quite a few who enjoy listening to their equipment more than their music; I can only assume that music is not what it is all about for them. Not to be judgmental, but that is so foreign to me I can't comprehend it. To each his own!

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 45
The dream system for me as of today:
> Esoteric K-01
> BHSE or preferably or SS amp just as good and as well finished
> Stax SR-009
> Smyth Realizer
> Possibly a power conditioner if that was to make a difference for the better in my system

We're getting close to 35-40kUSD which is insane, good that I am just dreaming here :wink:

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 45
I've got a headphone setup I'm mostly happy with now, and don't feel a lot of impetus to upgrade any more - nothing I have is high-end top of the line but I've reached the point where the cost of diminishing returns to improve further is severe.

I'd rather work on making a good listening room with speakers to match, which isn't practical in my current living situation.

Restricting myself to headphones, I have a flagship that's an excellent all-rounder (the HE-6) - it does nothing perfectly but almost everything very well. With an unlimited budget, I would want to compliment it with some of the phones that are better than it at certain things: The HD800 handles acoustic space and instrument positioning surreally well, for example, albeit at the expense of a low-frequency presentation which doesn't matter as much for live acoustic performances. And I would also want to try legendary phones like the Orpheus, Stax O2, R10, Jecklin Float (don't laugh), and so on. And, of course, electronics to match.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 45
I think I have most of what I want in regards to my dream audio system. I keep on hearing from some audiophiles that my Cerwin Vegas are inferior to other speakers but I really do not agree. I would say that I am very satisfied for now and any new major changes would not yield a substantial improvement in sound. I certainly would not change my power amps, preamps, headphone amps, headphones and DVD/CD player. I might go for a better speaker cables, power cords and XLR Balanced cables; but this is not a necessity right now. I truly wish that Headfi would allow more space in the signature section to list all my pieces.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 45
Pretty much what I already have. The problem is that a bit of it is in boxes and hasn't been built yet. With any luck, I'll be able to knock it out this year.

Still, the HD-800 and Zana Deux make me awfully happy. I also use the Zana Deux as a preamp to a Conrad-Johnson MV52 driving ProAc Response 2.5 clones. I have better speakers needing to be built, but these are awfully good.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 45

Quote:
I would build a theatre, hire my favorite singers, bands, and orchestras and make them my slaves. After all, what audio gear is better than real life?

I'm with you. A properly sound treated room, with a stage and maybe some Focal Grand Utopia EM speakers... just in case something needed amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back