Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Mar 21, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #841 of 1,040

Unnecessary, grow up ...   
wink.gif

Ok, maybe...  
rolleyes.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #842 of 1,040
My Fulla has just started to completely crap itself. :frowning2:

extremely distorted sound in right channel, no sound at all in the left channel until about 3/4 volume, where it clears up and both channels sound perfect again. 

Have Contacted Fulla, awaiting response.

Have tried two computers (retina macbook pro, HP Z600) a bunch of USB ports, different cords, headphones, sources, apps, files, etc. Issue only really popped up today, it has been great up until this point.

My work around solution at the moment, is to max the Fulla so the left channel works and drop VOX volume way down, so as not to blow my ears up

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #843 of 1,040
I agree that people are making mountains out of just a little schiit. 
eek.gif
    Keep the volume no higher then you need. USB outputs are noisy.  I got a good cable and positioned the fulla away from the modems.  The music is clear and clean and really what more can you ask for $79 bucks.  
I am a fan but I've been one ever since I got the bifrost.  I look forward to hearing the mani.  Schiit is putting out quality at a low price point and their sense of humor about the industry is right on.  Read their descriptions of the cables they sell...  
o2smile.gif

jhv

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #844 of 1,040
  I agree that people are making mountains out of just a little schiit. 
eek.gif
    Keep the volume no higher then you need. USB outputs are noisy.  

Not necessarily.
  I got a good cable and positioned the fulla away from the modems.  The music is clear and clean and really what more can you ask for $79 bucks.  

Try a HiFiMeDIY at less than $30, and then decide what you can expect for $79.

I am a fan but I've been one ever since I got the bifrost.  I look forward to hearing the mani.  Schiit is putting out quality at a low price point and their sense of humor about the industry is right on.  Read their descriptions of the cables they sell...  
o2smile.gif

jhv

I'm a fan too, even though I'm not yet a customer, but, as you people in that corner of the world say, just sayin'. ...Is all. 
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #846 of 1,040
  So will this guy work with a phone when it is plugged in to the wall or a laptop? Given that the phone will not be powering it?

Thanks

Power and data are transferred via the same cable, what you are suggesting is not possible.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #847 of 1,040
  So will this guy work with a phone when it is plugged in to the wall or a laptop? Given that the phone will not be powering it?

Thanks

Power and data are transferred via the same cable, what you are suggesting is not possible.

I am able to get it to work by using a self-powered USB hub between my Xperia Z2 and Fulla.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #849 of 1,040

I am able to get it to work by using a self-powered USB hub between my Xperia Z2 and Fulla.

I don't think he was intending to use a powered hub.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #850 of 1,040
  Do you happen to have a link for that hub? Also, what sort of toll does it have on your phone's battery life?

I tried two self-powered USB hub, both work. Both will still drain the smartphone battery life somewhat. I never keep track of the time but the drainage is slow enough that you should get quite a few hours out of them, though it might depends on the smartphone as well.

41TebT3Pg4L.jpg

First is an Orico BH4-U3. You will need an 'microUSB to USB-B' cable in order to plug the smartphone to the USB hub and you can find one by search 'microUSB OTG printer cable'.

sku_243246_2.jpg

Second one is the generic 'micro USB hub'. You need to supply the USB power adapter yourself, which any smartphone power adapter should do.

You should be able to find both on eBay or DX.com

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #851 of 1,040
I have had my Fulla for a couple of days now and while I'm pleased with the sound, I'm not impressed by the whole package. My Volume pot is noisy as in with no music playing and I adjust the volume, I can here the pots wiper. Of course the metal edges, wile not cutting sharp are reminiscent of a DIY build not a commercial product. the volume knob is a little short and my finger tips catch the metal edges. Lastly the bag is useless. The Fulla is too tall for the drawstring to be of any use. I would have gladly paid 10 to 15 more to get a finished product. I own 6 pieces of Schiit gear and this is the first I was disappointed in.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #852 of 1,040
HiFiMeDIY 
beerchug.gif
 makes their own usb isolator which ( I'm just sayin) kinda supports what I said about usb being noisy.  Did'nt see a dac under $89 but I'd like hear their products!  Thank you for your very articulate post.

jhv

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #853 of 1,040
I have had my Fulla for a couple of days now and while I'm pleased with the sound, I'm not impressed by the whole package. My Volume pot is noisy as in with no music playing and I adjust the volume, I can here the pots wiper. Of course the metal edges, wile not cutting sharp are reminiscent of a DIY build not a commercial product. the volume knob is a little short and my finger tips catch the metal edges. Lastly the bag is useless. The Fulla is too tall for the drawstring to be of any use. I would have gladly paid 10 to 15 more to get a finished product. I own 6 pieces of Schiit gear and this is the first I was disappointed in.

So, I have the original M/M stack and am very pleased with the value I've gotten.

That said, I've watched the initial rollout of the Fulla and have to admit that I agree with the above quote -- so much so that I didn't buy the Fulla even though I wanted to.

I get being brand-loyal...and I do like my Schiit stack...but I don't blindly support a product just because I like the brand.

In addition, I'm also confused at many of the comments in this thread especially related to some 'applications' of this device. For instance, all the Rube Goldberg attempts to pair this thing up with a phone (i.e. powered USB, etc. discussed below) really don't make sense to me.

From my perspective, this unit competes with Transportable NOT Portable Dac/Amps.

Portable
Since, it doesn't have a battery (yeah, I know, 'we don't do batteries'), it's at a distinct disadvantage for truly portable applications compared to Dac/Amps like the Fiio E07K ($89) or the iBasso D-Zero MkII or several other portable solutions.

TBH, on paper and in the reviews, the iBasso appears to be a steal for a portable Dac/Amp. For $119 out the door, you get a Dual Dac/Amp combo with OTG, RCA, and USB cables, silicone strap, and a carrying pouch.

Contrast that with the Fulla. For $89 out the door, you get the Dac/Amp and a USB cable. Then, you have to buy the OTG cable and the Powered USB hub -- cobble it all together with the Fulla and, hopefully, you have audio from your phone! Very cool, if you have a portable wall outlet for the Powered USB Hub?!

Transportable
I did seriously consider the Fulla as an option to replace my Fiio E10 (i.e. throw it in my laptop bag). However, the rollout issues (handled admirably by Schiit) and the ongoing QC concerns that are periodically brought up made me go another direction. I looked at a variety of options including those below the Fulla's price (HiFiMeDIY), at the Fulla's price (Fiio E10K / E07K), and above the Fulla's price including Meridian Explorer, AQ Dragonfly, HRT, etc.

After reading reviews/threads/etc, I boiled it down to the E10K at $65 and the Meridian Explorer at $150. The design, build, and consistently good reviews of the Explorer convinced me to spend the extra $$. Very happy I did -- sounds fantastic!

But...to be honest, if budget was the primary concern, I'd still go with the E10K over the Fulla at this point. While some might argue the Fulla is a tad better sounding than the E10K, the additional functionality (line out, coax out, gain switch, and hardware bass boost ) would tip the scales for me. Besides, Fiio certainly upgraded the E10. The E10K has a new DAC, improved circuitry, and a better opamp (same as Fulla's) with buffering. Lastly, my E10 just plain worked from day one and still does...no issues. I expect the E10K would do the same.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #854 of 1,040
I'm debating on whether to buy this or the Fiio E10K, and aside from this thread, this review is the only comparison I've found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEFYlfKf8A

The review can be summed as up as the Fulla having clearly better sound but noticeably worse build and far fewer features, and that's the impression I've got from this thread. However, I don't have a clear picture of the overall durability (aside from the design) of the Fulla. I don't really care about carrying one of these around, but I'd like a dac/amp that's going to last. The people on this page are the only ones I've seen complain about the sound so far, but even aside from them, I'm not sure how the bass and gain switches on the E10k really add to it. I have virtually no experience with amps and dacs, so what do settings on the device itself do for the sound? Are these distinct from what can be changed from your computer's control panel? What do the bass and gain switches really add to the E10K if there's only 2 settings, on and off?

And if it helps, I use a pair of V-Moda M100's.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #855 of 1,040
I watched this YouTube review back in December when I already had the Fulla in my possession. I thought the review was a great, well balanced presentation of the box. But like all reviews, you'll have to read (or in this case view) between the lines. For example, he complains that his really large fingers cannot turn the dial. But then he uses his fingers to turn the dial
rolleyes.gif

From what I've read, there have been several people who complained about the build quality. I've been lucky so far, and truly enjoy the sound quality - no issues or complaints here. Did I mention love the sound! I've since moved my Sennheiser HD650 headphones onto better components, but they still sound musical to me when plugged into the Fulla. I suspect there are many others who are happy too, but are just enjoying it - not being as verbal
tongue.gif

The final thing you should keep in mind is their 1-year warranty. Get it, use it, send it back if something is wrong with it. I've heard the Schiit support is quite good. You shouldn't have any potentiometer sounds or other sonic issues. I'm very happy with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back