Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Mar 14, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #826 of 1,040
  Well the Fulla has been out for a few months now and many folks have complained that some of the chassis edges/corners are just too sharp.
Has that been addressed in the recently shipped units?  Does anyone who has received a recent unit care to share their thoughts?
Thanks

Got mine and reviewed it a few weeks ago, still razor sharp edges.  It's just a comment, not a showstopper since you can easily take shell off and file the edges.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #828 of 1,040

... not a showstopper since you can easily take shell off and file the edges.

Seems like something Schiit should be doing. Maybe they could charge a few extra bucks to cover the cost and throw it in a tumbler or something?

If they give a Schiit about it
tongue.gif
  Personally, I just want them to release usb/otg version of it and make it sound as good as original FULLA!!!

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #829 of 1,040
I have held/transported the fulla in its cloth case every day now between work and home and have never once experienced any sort of discomfort or issue with its edges. I just don't get it at all.

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #830 of 1,040
  I have held/transported the fulla in its cloth case every day now between work and home and have never once experienced any sort of discomfort or issue with its edges. I just don't get it at all.

That's good to hear, maybe the issue is overblown.
So the edges on your unit aren't sharp or they are but are just in places where it doesn't matter?
Thanks!

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #831 of 1,040
That's good to hear, maybe the issue is overblown.
So the edges on your unit aren't sharp or they are but are just in places where it doesn't matter?
Thanks!

The edges on mine are rough but definitely not what I would call sharp. If you use a sufficient amount of force to press on the edge with your finger it might cause some pain but under normal circumstances it shouldn't be a problem. As pavement714 said, transporting the Fulla in the included cloth bag will eliminate the possibility of the unit scratching other devices.

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #832 of 1,040
The rough edges are no much of an issue than an 'potential' issue, I think. I put my Fulla against a nail file for 30 seconds and now the problem is solved, and I'll think a fine sand paper in the factory before the whole thing is put together is just as easy. Not a big deal either ways.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #834 of 1,040
  FYI, I got the Fulla to work without additional power with my Android tablet.

I have a Google/Samsung Nexus 10 tablet running Android 5.0.2.

I connected the Fulla directly with this micro-to-mini USB on-the-go cable:

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/86/micro-to-mini-usb-otg-cable/

I play music using the Tidal HiFi app. No special player app or USB tweaks used.

It sounds great with my HiFiMAN RE-400 in-ear monitors.  The volume knobs only needs about 20% of its travel to be plenty loud.

Specs on the RE-400:

Impedance: 32  OHM+/- 3.2
Sensitivity: 102dB/1mW
Rated power: 10mW
Maximum power: 30 mW

Hope this helps someone.

Greg

Just got JDS Labs OTG cable for FULLA, unfortunately it does NOT work with Galaxy S5 and Note 4 :frowning2:  Stock ROM, not rooted.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #835 of 1,040
  Anybody have an idea of which chord works to hook a sansa clip up to fulla. 

I've tried a Gino to no avail with usb power. 

"Gino Portable 3 in 1 Mini 5 Pin 3.5mm to USB MP3 MP4 Charge Cable"

The Fulla is a USB digital audio input device only, and the Clip does not have USB digit audio out.  The Clip's USB connection is only useful for transferring audio files via USB Mass storage mode, or charging..  So, you won't find a cable that will work to connect the clip to the fulla, That is unless RockBox has done something that I am unaware of..

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #836 of 1,040
I picked up a fulla a few weeks ago for my HD598's and for mobile laptop use with my RHA 750i's. My biggest qualm is that with my HD598's the audio can randomly get glitchy when the cable isn't in the perfect position. Also, turning the volume knob can cause a slight static sound, which isn't bad as the sound only happens while the knob is being turned, and I usually just keep it at one setting and change the volume on my actual PC.

Besides that it was a worthy pickup(for laptop use especially, as for some reason the sound output from my laptop is pure **** on its own.) It helps fill out the HD598's sound(especially on the lower end), so in my opinion it's a good purchase for even a pair of easy to drive headphones like those. I have a very old pair of VMODA LP2's and the sound quality hardly changes with those, but that's to be expected.

I'm going to be looking to pick up some HD650's,X1's/X2's,or HE400's/400i's in the future. Has anyone had experience with the fulla+one of those? Namely the HD650's.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #837 of 1,040
  I picked up a fulla a few weeks ago for my HD598's and for mobile laptop use with my RHA 750i's. My biggest qualm is that with my HD598's the audio can randomly get glitchy when the cable isn't in the perfect position. Also, turning the volume knob can cause a slight static sound, which isn't bad as the sound only happens while the knob is being turned, and I usually just keep it at one setting and change the volume on my actual PC.

Besides that it was a worthy pickup(for laptop use especially, as for some reason the sound output from my laptop is pure **** on its own.) It helps fill out the HD598's sound(especially on the lower end), so in my opinion it's a good purchase for even a pair of easy to drive headphones like those. I have a very old pair of VMODA LP2's and the sound quality hardly changes with those, but that's to be expected.

I'm going to be looking to pick up some HD650's,X1's/X2's,or HE400's/400i's in the future. Has anyone had experience with the fulla+one of those? Namely the HD650's.

I have used the HD 650s with the Fulla and it works well, I have noticed some of the same problems you mentioned but it seems to do a good job powering it when I have been traveling.  I used to own the Audioengine D1 which admittedly worked better but there is a price differential there to think about as well.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #838 of 1,040
I have had more than one amp that gets scratchy/static when the volume knob is turned - never when it is stationary but pretty much always when you turn it - does anybody know what causes that.

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #839 of 1,040

Which cable are you talking about, the USB cable or the Headphone cable.  If it's the USB cable, try another one and see if you have the same issue.  Some people found that the supplied one was a bit wonky.  If you still have a problem, then definitely contact Schiit about it.. There might be be issues with some of the connectors, and there is no reason you should be living with something like that, even if it is only an $80 device..    

I'll say the same thing about the volume control issue.  If there is scratchy static, then there is something wrong with the the pot and it should be replaced..  The scratchiness sometimes occurs after a long period of use,or if dirt gets under the wiper in the volume control..  Neither one of these things should be happening in a brand new device.  If you don't tell Schiit about it, then they don't know they have quality issues with the parts.  

Every company relies on user feedback to improve products.  If you dont tell them, it won't get better.  I'm not trying to bash Schiit.  I think they are doing some great things.  Building something like the Fulla at this price point is brilliant and they have to cut some corners, hopefully not very big ones..  

The whole thing about the sharp edges of the case also needs to be put to sleep.. People are blowing it out of proportion.   

C'mon people, grow up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back