Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Dec 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #571 of 1,040
  Where in the volume knob's range does it happen(use the numbers on a clock face as reference..)?  

Low cost volume controls often have a channel imbalance at the low end of their range, but I doubt that you'd be listening there with the DT770s. 

Your first email should be back to Schiit to discuss it with them.  

Have you tried turning the volume control though its range several times? This might dislodge whatever is getting in the way of the wiper on the left channel.  Does it die out completely?

Yeap. Tried everything short of opening the unit up.

Its not a channel imbalance thing. Might be a short inside the unit. Occurs between 8 and 10 o'clock.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #573 of 1,040
  Would this work/match with Hifiman HE-400's? Because I can't find someone who has this setup. I'm from the Netherlands so I have to buy them from a local supplier ( Sonority Audio ).

It probably will.  The HE-400's are pretty easy to drive.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #575 of 1,040
  I just ran into this problem with a Fulla Schiit unit I just received. 

I don't really want to send this back as I'm based in SG and shipping costs are quite expensive. If anyone has the same problem or a solution please let me know.

Here's the problem:
There's a zone on the volume knob that when I turn the volume to, the left ear signal goes 'dead'. By 'dead' I mean the volume dies out. The right ear works perfectly fine. The annoying part is the 'dead zone' is right where I usually listen to!

The problem is not with the headphones (DT770 80ohm) that I'm using because once the volume knob turns past the 'dead zone' the music comes back again with the jack staying perfectly still.

I might post a video if my explanation is unclear.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm here in the Philippines and bought a Fulla a day after it was released (and before the oscillator defect was discovered). The volume pot in my unit is obviously defective as there's just three zones that are completely free of noise/crackles/pops and have sound in both channels. Somewhere around 11% (too quiet), 50% (too loud) and 97% (great for blowing out eardrums). Using it with Grado headphones (SR80e and SR352is).

I emailed Laura on Dec. 21 about the issue. She got back to me on Dec. 23 to confirm my unit's serial number and the replacement unit was shipped to my forwarder that very same day (and has been stuck there ever since due to the holiday break, bad timing on my part). The good news is that I don't have to send the defective unit back to Schiit as the shipping cost will not be worth it as per Laura's email. I was only instructed to destroy the defective unit to put it out of circulation which is what I'm gonna do once the replacement unit is here and is confirmed to be in perfect working condition.

I guess the best thing to do is to email Laura and see what she says. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #576 of 1,040
  How is the sound signature of the Fulla?

It's slightly warm and really fun.

Compared to the FiiO E10K, it's slightly better in all respects (SQ-wise) except for the lows. Build quality is better on the E10K though. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #577 of 1,040

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm here in the Philippines and bought a Fulla a day after it was released (and before the oscillator defect was discovered). The volume pot in my unit is obviously defective as there's just three zones that are completely free of noise/crackles/pops and have sound in both channels. Somewhere around 11% (too quiet), 50% (too loud) and 97% (great for blowing out eardrums). Using it with Grado headphones (SR80e and SR352is).

I emailed Laura on Dec. 21 about the issue. She got back to me on Dec. 23 to confirm my unit's serial number and the replacement unit was shipped to my forwarder that very same day (and has been stuck there ever since due to the holiday break, bad timing on my part). The good news is that I don't have to send the defective unit back to Schiit as the shipping cost will not be worth it as per Laura's email. I was only instructed to destroy the defective unit to put it out of circulation which is what I'm gonna do once the replacement unit is here and is confirmed to be in perfect working condition.

I guess the best thing to do is to email Laura and see what she says. 

Thanks. Sent them an email. I have the crackling problem as well. Its more like 'dead zone' - 'crackle zone' - 'music coming through but too loud zone'

For anyone with this issue, here's a quick video I made illustrating my problem. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #578 of 1,040
Anyone who has the Schiit Fulla, can you please comment on how it performs with the fidelio X1? I'm looking at buying a dac/amp for the X1 (the FLACs I have sound too low directly from my laptop) but Im really lost.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #580 of 1,040

In what way are the E10K lows better? More presence/punch, less bloating, deeper...?

All of the above, and that's with the E10K's bass boost function in the off position. But overall, the Fulla's SQ is superior, at least to my ears.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #581 of 1,040

All of the above, and that's with the E10K's bass boost function in the off position. But overall, the Fulla's SQ is superior, at least to my ears.

Alright, thanks. Just two more questions:

1- The difference between the E10K and Fulla in the highs/mids is as accentuated as in the bass region?
2- Value wise, E10K for 75$ ot Fulla for 97$? Considering build quality, sound, etc

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #582 of 1,040

Alright, thanks. Just two more questions:

1- The difference between the E10K and Fulla in the highs/mids is as accentuated as in the bass region?
2- Value wise, E10K for 75$ ot Fulla for 97$? Considering build quality, sound, etc

1. Yup. For mids and highs, the Fulla wins. Soundstage and imaging are also better on the Fulla.

2. IMHO, for SQ alone, the Fulla is well worth the asking price + international shipping costs. I just hope the quality control's been kicked up a notch since the oscillator issue, and probably the volume pot problems as well, have been reported/discovered.

The E10K is noticeably better built and has more features (bass boost, optical/line out, gain switch). But after using the Fulla exclusively for more than a week and switching back to the E10K for just a few songs, the difference in overall sound quality is glaring. I was thinking of using my E10K at work but am now seriously considering another Fulla for that purpose. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #583 of 1,040
The Fulla stomps the e10k in SQ. Its not even close. Its ridiculous at MSRP.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #584 of 1,040

1. Yup. For mids and highs, the Fulla wins. Soundstage and imaging are also better on the Fulla.

2. IMHO, for SQ alone, the Fulla is well worth the asking price + international shipping costs. I just hope the quality control's been kicked up a notch since the oscillator issue, and probably the volume pot problems as well, have been reported/discovered.

The E10K is noticeably better built and has more features (bass boost, optical/line out, gain switch). But after using the Fulla exclusively for more than a week and switching back to the E10K for just a few songs, the difference in overall sound quality is glaring. I was thinking of using my E10K at work but am now seriously considering another Fulla for that purpose. 

I don't need anything besides the headphone out, perhaps the bass boost might come in handy, but the only use I would give the amp/dac would be with headphones and a laptop. 

The Fulla stomps the e10k in SQ. Its not even close. Its ridiculous at MSRP.

I guess from your answers that my choice is not really... a choice. I'll see if I can get a Fulla in the near future.

Thanks you both for you help 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back