Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Dec 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #511 of 1,040
  That should work but typically that is what you do not want to do as you can lose fidelity by decreasing windows volume - to get the fullest/max resolution I have always been told to max windows volume and control loudness with device volume.

Exactly so
As soon as you plug the Fulla in the Windows volume goes to full on, this way you're not tampering with the signal path
The volume knob on the Fulla is not hard to turn !

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #512 of 1,040
  like make the treble to high or bright. 

I don't have any Grado's, so take my comment with that in mind. To my ear, the Fulla is just slightly warm - neutral with a touch of warmth. It's quite appealing. Also, if your headphone has an inherently lifted treble region, it's not going to remove that emphasis, and you may find it to be slightly grainy if compared to a higher end source. My $0.02.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #515 of 1,040
I first listen to the Fulla last night, off the top of my head (without doing a A-B comparison), I will say that the comment "neutral with a touch of warmth" sounds accurate. My only other 2 DACs and amps are the JDS C5D and O2 and ODAC, so i'm more used to a neutral sound signature. I did find the Fulla to be more warm.

Also the amp has get pretty warm in operation. Imagine gaming intensive on your iPhone, the temperature will be about the same, or maybe even slightly warmer for the Fulla. It definitely won't burn you, but it can give you a slight jump when you touch it.

And I find the Fulla a little too powerful for my Dita Answer. Taking the 0 volume point at 7 oclock, I only had to turn to 8 oclock and that will hit my normal-to-high volume point. I wish for a gain switch but also understand that to hit the price point, that may not be possible.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #516 of 1,040
  Has anyone had a chance to compare these to any of the following...AE D3, AQ Dragonfly (either version), Geek Out, iFi Nano, Dacmagic XS or Micro?

I'm awaiting my Fulla to arrive, can compare to the DF1.2 when it arrives if others have not posted their impressions.  Perhaps some prunes would hasten the delivery?

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #518 of 1,040
I wonder it compares to the Cambridge DacMagic XS? Does anyone has tested both before? From some reviews, DacMagic XS, which prefer DacMagic XS over the DragonFly

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #519 of 1,040
I wonder how does this compares to Cambridge DacMagic XS? Some reviews prefer DacMagic XS over the DragonFly DAC.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #522 of 1,040
[quote name="NZtechfreak" url="/t/737642/fulla-by-schiit-news-photos-th[I][/I]oughts-impressions-etc/510#post_11156346"]
I'm awaiting my Fulla to arrive, can compare to the DF1.2 when it arrives if others have not posted their impressions.  Perhaps some prunes would hasten the delivery?
[/quote]

Would definitely like to hear your thoughts on it compared with the new Dragonfly. Ha...subtle; required some thought!

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #524 of 1,040
Regarding the Dragonfly comparison: I've have a v1.2 for about 6 months now and spent the last 3 days listening to the Fulla exclusively (via JH16s) and then last night switched back to the Dragonfly v1.2. (I've tried A/B testing real-time and have found that practice ineffective unless there are glaring differences between products. With the Fulla and Dragonfly, there are more similarities than differences, so longer term A/B listening was more fitting.)

Here are my brief thoughts:

1. Highs: Dragonfly wins. At first when I started to use the Fulla, I thought the Fulla sounded better, but after the 2nd day, I started to notice some grittiness that I didn't recall hearing with the Dragonfly. When I switched back to the Dragonfly, this confirmed it for me. The grittiness was gone. Outside of that, the highs sound the same.
  2. Mids: Very close here, but to me the Dragonfly wins. As part of the mids assessment, I am taking into account instrument and voice separation. The Dragonfly edges out here as the vocals sound slightly more distinct, more present, more like they are on their own 'track' in the recording; it's just clearer on the Dragonfly.
  3. Lows: Tie. This is more of a personal preference item: The Fulla sounds more neutral with lows, while the Dragonfly has a seemingly greater emphasis. The Dragonfly has more punch and seemingly greater low frequency extension, but I believe that comes down to a personal preference. Maybe the Fulla is more 'reference flat,' and to some that's a good thing, but to me, I prefer that extra punch the Dragonfly serves up.
  4. Detail retrieval: Very close to a tie here, but Dragonfly wins to me. Dragonfly brings out some additional details in the tracks that get mixed up with the Fulla. Fulla sounds good here, but just a tad 'muddier' compared to the Dragonfly. 

For what it's worth, I'm keeping my Fulla in my collection as the price to performance ratio is excellent and I have use for it on the road.

Hope this quick review helps.

(Happy Holidays to all.)

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #525 of 1,040
  Hope this quick review helps.

(Happy Holidays to all.)

Thanks for the mini-review!  Did you find a winner when it came to power, and the ability to drive your headphones?  I ask because I get the impression the Fulla might have a little more juice when it comes to driving difficult / ineffecient headphones, especially at higher volumes.

Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back