Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Dec 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #316 of 1,040
If you're using DirectSound (primary sound driver in foobar) then yeah, that's all there is to it.

Personally I'd recommend using 24 bit over 16 bit though. "Converting" from 16 to 24 bit doesn't change any of the actual data (it's just an extra 8 bits of padding along with the original data sample), and if the Fulla behaves like the Modi, noise floor is noticeably lower in 24 bit mode.

Alright, thanks for the info

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #317 of 1,040
  I don't have the fulla, but I have a Surface RT, and with a simple USB 2.0 hub i could power a 2TB Seagate external Hard-drive and another flash drive. I was also able to view them both at the same time and transfer files from one to the other directly. I'm hoping this means i'll be able to play files from my Hard drive to the fulla with the USB hub. I've read that the RT has audio out through USB capabilities and another user said that he would test it when his arrives. 

AKGunkie,

My (defective) Fulla arrived yesterday and I have tested it with my PC, Laptop, Surface Pro and Surface RT. My unit is suffering from the incorrectly implemented 48x oscillator, so I will need to revisit my tests when my new unit arrives. Here is what I found.

PC/Laptop - works without issue.
Surface Pro - works without issue.
Surface RT - NEEDS a POWERED USB hub. It will not initialize without a powered hub. I believe the RT's USB port is limited in power (as are many other low power devices) and apparently the Fulla draws too much power for it to operate properly. With a hub it works perfectly, though as another poster indicated, the USB hub introduced a ton of noise. Granted the hub I had was most likely a USB 1.0 version and was about 10 or more years old (score 1 for the junk drawer of remanded electronics). A modern, quality USB hub should be better at reducing the noise.

So, if as you indicated you are going to use it with a USB hub with a external drive, flash drive and the Fulla, as long as it has its own power supply, you should be just fine.

Hope this helps. When I receive my replacement unit I will give you an update whether it works without the hub or if it is still required. My hunch is that it will still need a hub to work with the RT, but I have been wrong many, many times before. Just ask my wife.

-Tim

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #318 of 1,040

AKGunkie,

My (defective) Fulla arrived yesterday and I have tested it with my PC, Laptop, Surface Pro and Surface RT. My unit is suffering from the incorrectly implemented 48x oscillator, so I will need to revisit my tests when my new unit arrives. Here is what I found.

PC/Laptop - works without issue.
Surface Pro - works without issue.
Surface RT - NEEDS a POWERED USB hub. It will not initialize without a powered hub. I believe the RT's USB port is limited in power (as are many other low power devices) and apparently the Fulla draws too much power for it to operate properly. With a hub it works perfectly, though as another poster indicated, the USB hub introduced a ton of noise. Granted the hub I had was most likely a USB 1.0 version and was about 10 or more years old (score 1 for the junk drawer of remanded electronics). A modern, quality USB hub should be better at reducing the noise.

So, if as you indicated you are going to use it with a USB hub with a external drive, flash drive and the Fulla, as long as it has its own power supply, you should be just fine.

Hope this helps. When I receive my replacement unit I will give you an update whether it works without the hub or if it is still required. My hunch is that it will still need a hub to work with the RT, but I have been wrong many, many times before. Just ask my wife.

-Tim

Darn,  the hub I have is actually a non-powered hub. I wonder what the power draw on the fulla is, I can power a 2TB external portable Seagate no problem.  I mostly want the fulla for when I'm at my girlfriends when ill have my laptop, so ill probably get one regardless. I'll try to look into what the RT can do and what my Hard drive draws. Maybe the oscillator is affecting the current or voltage draw.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #319 of 1,040
Can someone with the fulla comment on the sound say on the 16/44.1 cd tracks? no one seemed to have offered impressions but a few words. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #320 of 1,040

Darn,  the hub I have is actually a non-powered hub. I wonder what the power draw on the fulla is, I can power a 2TB external portable Seagate no problem.  I mostly want the fulla for when I'm at my girlfriends when ill have my laptop, so ill probably get one regardless. I'll try to look into what the RT can do and what my Hard drive draws. Maybe the oscillator is affecting the current or voltage draw.

I would agree that the oscillator could be causing some issues, but as it works with everything else, I am less than hopeful. But like I said, I have been wrong before.

Finding specs on USB power from hardware manufactures is difficult at best and Microsoft is especially good at dumping down the specs. Don't get me wrong, I love my surface's but some of MS's decisions are baffling to say the least.

Good luck and I will report back when I have my new Fulla.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #321 of 1,040

I would agree that the oscillator could be causing some issues, but as it works with everything else, I am less than hopeful. But like I said, I have been wrong before.

Finding specs on USB power from hardware manufactures is difficult at best and Microsoft is especially good at dumping down the specs. Don't get me wrong, I love my surface's but some of MS's decisions are baffling to say the least.

Good luck and I will report back when I have my new Fulla.

Yeah, i couldn't find anything on it. I'm doubtful but hoping for the best. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #322 of 1,040

Enjoying the Schiit out of this Fulla. I'm testing this for a fellow Head-Fier, and although it is defective, I am enjoying how it's making music out of my LCD-3s using 16/44.1 files. I've had the LCD-3s since last Monday, but since my Bottlehead Crack cracks at the sight of the LCD-3s, I haven't used it at all until today. The LCD-3s are being manhandled by this little monster. Obviously it isn't the last word in detail, the lowest octave or imaging, but it surely sings. The tone is spot on with this little bugger, and once you plug it into its cousin from another mother, the Wyrd, the schiit just hits the fan and splatters all over the walls. Now, I am not saying this mini mite could solve all your audio woes, however, it will cause you none (well, aside from staticky noise at the wrong sample rates, lol). 

I'm impressed with the power this thing has, and to think I was second guessing whether a Bottlehead S.E.X could drive the LCD-3s earlier this week. Hopefully, I can convince the owner of the Fulla to RMA it and keep it, but, regardless, I'll be getting one for myself.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #324 of 1,040
Yeah, if the S.E.X doesn't do a satisfactory job, it really needs to be ashamed of itself especially after what this little pen drive has been up to this night. I doubt it won't do the business though.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #325 of 1,040
So, this or the Fiio E17? Will be used for Mad Dogs and Miracles.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #326 of 1,040
When announced I really thought this was just what I needed but actually what I need is something like this that can be plugged into a phone or tablet and work 'on-the-go'. I respect the schiit guys and will probably grab one of these eventually (when the kinks are worked out) as a dac/amp combo for $79 with a real potentiometer is a great deal. For now with the "features" this offers I think the Modi-Magni would work better for me and another fiio or cmoy for on the go stuff. 

It is the 10th and so far the fulla is not back 'in stock' on the Schiit website perhaps the hold will be lifted by the end of day. One of these may work well for my daughter at college and would fit in a X-mas stocking quite nicely.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #327 of 1,040
Dec 10th was probably their best estimate based on input from component and fabrication vendors. A few unscrupulous vendors have been known to drop a done deal and sell already sold components to someone else at a higher price, last minute. Of course this practice (of only a few) can really hurt small companies such as Schiit.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #328 of 1,040
Received Fulla and want to love it, but...first, it's got the glitch.  If I were still listening to a lot of laptop electronic music, it would be perfect.  But I'm not.  On my 16/44.1 stuff, it sounds pretty nice with my CT-500 Pros.  There's a little noise and some pot-scratch, but once the volume is set it's very nice.

My second problem, which I've also sent to Schiit, is that Fulla doesn't work without a powered USB hub on my 2009 MBP running Mavericks.  HOWEVER, it will run without a powered USB hub on my office laptop, a 2012 MBP running Yosemite.  Assuming there aren't any huge hardware differences between the two MBPs (which may be a bad assumption), could it really be the OS that's jacking with power port management?  

Anyone else with the Fulla and a MBP, what OS are you running and are you having to use a powered hub to get Fulla working?  

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #329 of 1,040
 ...a 2012 MBP running Yosemite.  Assuming there aren't any huge hardware differences between the two MBPs (which may be a bad assumption), could it really be the OS that's jacking with power port management?  

Yes - the newer MBPs have higher-power USB ports, specifically due to the higher power demands of iOS devices. I'm not sure where the cutover happened, and I don't think it's all software, there were some hardware changes too.

MIGHT be worth an updated on your 2009 MBP to Yosemite, unless you've a specific reason not to.

On an overarching note... I just picked up my first "real" pair of headphones (Got in on the Massdrop AKG K7XX deal) and am looking forwards to getting something like this to power them, as currently I've no amp at all. Really curious to see if this wins out over something like the Audioengine D1+ or the FiiO E10k - or is even in the same category.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #330 of 1,040
Quick update:

There were far fewer Fullas with the correct oscillator than we expected, and rework is also more difficult.

Swap-outs of bad Fullas will begin tomorrow. If yours has a problem, and you have not contacted laura@schiit.com, please do so and we will get you taken care of as soon as practicable, with a replacement Fulla and a prepaid shipper for sending the other one back.

However, ordering will remain closed until we can have enough stock to get ahead of the problem.

Sorry for the bad news. 

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back