Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Oct 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #64 of 1,040
Funny how those without a DSD capable DAC justify not having one even though they've never heard one. I've heard albums that sound better on DSD. Real music lovers want the best versions regardless of the format.

Yes!!!

Does anybody want to buy my Beta and Laserdisc collections? :wink:

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #67 of 1,040
The closest to DSD support I have is the X5, so I haven't tried it out myself yet... I should look at some of the 192k albums however

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #68 of 1,040
Oct 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #69 of 1,040
The SACD cuts of MJ albums are heavily neutered. If the DSD downloads are based off that then I'm sorry for your loss of money
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not sure about that but hey! too busy listening and grooving :wink: 
L3000.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #71 of 1,040

Plenty of DSD tracks for sale. How many that don't have native DSD would like to hear what it sounds like?

I am not interested in DSD. I am not even interested in the lunatic climbing of the pcm sample-rate ladder, along with the non-technical marketing-only terms like High-Definition and High-resolution.

However, I am interested in music, and have already acquired 96K, and even 192K files. I need to be able to play them, because its the music that counts, whether it comes 24/192 or 180kb mp3. So I have to  think future proofing. I would certainly not buy a DAC that only did 44.1 (if there is such a thing), nor would I jump on the Hey, bigest bigger numbers bandwagon of the likes of ifi.

I wouldn't refuse a DAC because it handled DSD, but I also don't think I need to worry about it, in music-availability terms, possibly for my lifetime of, maybe another thirty years.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #72 of 1,040

I am not interested in DSD. I am not even interested in the lunatic climbing of the pcm sample-rate ladder, along with the non-technical marketing-only terms like High-Definition and High-resolution.

However, I am interested in music, and have already acquired 96K, and even 192K files. I need to be able to play them, because its the music that counts, whether it comes 24/192 or 180kb mp3. So I have to  think future proofing. I would certainly not buy a DAC that only did 44.1 (if there is such a thing), nor would I jump on the Hey, bigest bigger numbers bandwagon of the likes of ifi.

I wouldn't refuse a DAC because it handled DSD, but I also don't think I need to worry about it, in music-availability terms, possibly for my lifetime of, maybe another thirty years.

Just as a heads up, check into the info published at Xiph on the potential for distortion on 192k files, yea they say SUPER High Rez but the ultrasonics can create distortions 

here's the link 

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #73 of 1,040
Yes, thanks, I know about that one, and Monty's videos which are perfect primers on digital audio.

As a maths dunce I have to say a big thank you to Monty and to JJ Johnston for their ability to communicate something of their incredible knowledge without resorting to formulae. I'm still trying with the maths, but I have a looong way to go.

I just read the Schiit DSD stuff that someone was kind enough to quote in an earlier post.

Confession time: I used to suspect that Schiit was mostly hype, but have realised the error of my ways on that one: genuine guys with a genuine sense of humour, trying hard with genuine products. With a big blush, I take off my hat to them 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back