Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Oct 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #77 of 1,040
Yep, I'm with you in a DAC being my next upgrade. I'm currently using a Stoner Acoustic UD110v2 and like it a bit, but I really should think about where I want to go next.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #78 of 1,040
Audio and build quality of Schiit products is outstanding.  

Agreed...very high value. The Fulla couldn't have come at a better time for me. Every week I wander into my local Magnolia store during a lunch break hoping the Dragonfly will be put on sale for $99...no such luck! Was close to pulling the trigger and then the Fulla announcement came. I'm a happy camper -- betting the sound will be as good or better and I'll save $70

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #79 of 1,040
Where can i buy and download DSD music? Honest question.

Blue Coast Records for more acoustic/folk music. They tend to either record/mix/master in native DSD, or they record to analogue tape and mix/master to DSD128. If you send them an e-mail, Cookie Marenco, the producer/engineer, will likely respond back to you with any questions regarding DSD.
http://bluecoastrecords.com/
^ they have DSD tracks you can download for free after making an account

Native DSD for more jazz/classical/choir music. They get direct DSD masters from other record labels before converting to PCM or distribution through CDs/SACDs. I've sent them a few e-mails regarding DSD and I've been talking to their mastering engineer.
https://www.nativedsd.com/
^ they have a DSD album you can download for free after making an account

For the record, I can reliably hear a difference between DSD128 (native recording and mastered format) and a down-mixed DSD64 with an ABX test, but between DSD64 and 24/176.4, they sound identical.

Most DACs nowadays already do signal processing similar to DSD with multi-bit delta-sigma modulators, so the two formats aren't all that different to the DAC. In fact DSD requires less steps in a DAC to get the analog waveform back
http://dsd-guide.com/sites/default/files/white-papers/DSD%20-%20the%20new%20addiction%20-%20v2.pdf

But anyway, let's just listen to the music. I've found native DSD masters to sound just as enjoyable as native PCM ones, and if you have a DAC that can playback both, then that's great! I respect Schiit's business model and it's a perfectly fine philosophy to make products that cater to the bulk majority of users.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoQATPxP1bI[/video]

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #80 of 1,040
If it had a line out I might get one to hold me over till the Yggdrasil is released. (using PC soundcard line out at the moment). Reason?  Low cost and furthermore it would still be of use to me as a portable unit for after the Yggdrasil.  A modi would go in a drawer somewhere and a bifrost uber would require that I put together another moderately priced stereo rig so it has a home.  I don't care about DSD and 99% of my music is 16/44 or 24/96.  I understand that someday I'll get the headphone bug and the fullah might go in a drawer anyway but I need something to get me started.      

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #82 of 1,040

just bought Thriller! ...thanks for the link.

listening on my lcd2 via dx90 ...and WOW!

The SACD cuts of MJ albums are heavily neutered. If the DSD downloads are based off that then I'm sorry for your loss of money
smily_headphones1.gif

I think neutered might be a bit strong, but this album is one I really like to compare different 'masterings' on. I think this one is the best, although somewhat hard to find. 

Japan 1st pressing catalog #35·8P-11

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #83 of 1,040
Personally I'm against SACD rips being sold and I would agree with Schiit's view of DSD in this case. More often than not, the SACD audio is created from PCM masters. I see no point in the SACD and DSD recordings in this format since it's just a marketing tool in this case. If a PCM studio master of an album released on SACD were sold, I would buy that version over the DSD version.

Native DSD and Blue Coast Records distribute true DSD masters either from DSD recordings, or from analogue tape recordings, and those are the really only places I've purchased DSD albums from. All other music I buy is PCM.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #84 of 1,040
Food for thought on DSD, the DAC in the Schiit Fulla is already capable of DSD playback. If they don't include DSD playback, they are just being short-sighted, and a bit dickish.

Datasheet for the AK4396 DAC

I'm not an electrical engineer, so maybe someone more qualified can explain this to me, but it appears that there is on-chip DSD, so why not use it?

Personally, I want the Schiit either way. I've put it on Christmas list, and don't care about the $40 shipping cost to the UK. It is still less than the iFi Nano iDSD over here in the UK, which I also plann on buying. The way I see it, there aren't a whole lot of £80-100 dac/amps out there that are likely to sound as good as the Fulla. If they include DSD playback, that will be icing on the cake for me.

I had the opportunity to compare DSD vs. 24/192 PCM vs. redbook in a 20 minute listening session using Ayre acoustics DSD vs. PCM tracks on an AK240 and there was an audible difference. The sounds were richer, felt more natural, and had a sense of presence that is hard to define. While defining it verbally escapes me, I've wanted to get that sound back ever since.

Schiit is entitled to their schiity opinion of DSD, but they should also listen to their customers. They've in the past made tongue-in-cheek 'fully buzzword compliant' marketing statements, I hope they keep this release fully buzzword compliant. I want my DSD.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #85 of 1,040
The Fulla does not offer DSD support.  It seems like there should be better places to discuss DSD than on this thread. Again, this thread is about the Fulla which does not support DSD.  I'm sure there are many things the Fulla doesn't do and this is not the place to discuss any of those things.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #86 of 1,040
Discussion on the DAC chip architecture for the Fulla, which in this case appears to have a DSD data interface, is appropriate.

Hell, go look at the Audeze prototype Z thread and read where the discussion has gone there.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #87 of 1,040
The audio wizards at Schiit Audio have said they are pretty much done with dsd tech. If the Loki does not scratch your dsd itch look to other companies to fulfill your need for a dead medium.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #88 of 1,040
  Food for thought on DSD, the DAC in the Schiit Fulla is already capable of DSD playback. If they don't include DSD playback, they are just being short-sighted, and a bit dickish.

Datasheet for the AK4396 DAC

I'm not an electrical engineer, so maybe someone more qualified can explain this to me, but it appears that there is on-chip DSD, so why not use it?

Personally, I want the Schiit either way. I've put it on Christmas list, and don't care about the $40 shipping cost to the UK. It is still less than the iFi Nano iDSD over here in the UK, which I also plann on buying. The way I see it, there aren't a whole lot of £80-100 dac/amps out there that are likely to sound as good as the Fulla. If they include DSD playback, that will be icing on the cake for me.

I had the opportunity to compare DSD vs. 24/192 PCM vs. redbook in a 20 minute listening session using Ayre acoustics DSD vs. PCM tracks on an AK240 and there was an audible difference. The sounds were richer, felt more natural, and had a sense of presence that is hard to define. While defining it verbally escapes me, I've wanted to get that sound back ever since.

Schiit is entitled to their schiity opinion of DSD, but they should also listen to their customers. They've in the past made tongue-in-cheek 'fully buzzword compliant' marketing statements, I hope they keep this release fully buzzword compliant. I want my DSD.

Simple answer is don't buy it.  Why get hung up about it.  There are other DACs to choose from.  I personally like Schiit's stance on this one.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #89 of 1,040

Sony is infinitely more dickish for hiding all the master tape to DSD transfers which they surely have stashed away in some kind of vault or bunker somewhere 
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #90 of 1,040

The Fulla does not offer DSD support.

Please provide your source on this. As I don't see an industry tag next to your name, I have to presume you have spoken to the Schiit guys, or are just making stuff up. Schiit has not released the tech specs of the Fulla yet. Maybe you listened to it at RMAF, if so, please correct me. It doesn't help the discussion if people come in with unsupported claims. I've posted the spec sheet for the DAC chip in the Fulla and it has DSD capability, whether it is implemented, I don't know, but my opinion that it should be is valid.

Simple answer is don't buy it.  Why get hung up about it.  There are other DACs to choose from.  I personally like Schiit's stance on this one.

I've already said I want it, even if it doesn't have DSD. Your "simple answer" disregards what I said, which means it isn't much of an answer at all. I'm not "hung up on it." Schiit visits these forums, maybe they'll see my arguments. For me the Fulla would be a bridge until I can get the iFi Nano/Micro iDSD; I would probably keep using it for travel and other portability needs after getting one of the aforementioned. I'd need to win the lottery to get the AK240. Donations to me getting an AK240 would be really nice. :)

I think this will be a great piece of kit that will get a lot of people on the fence on high-rez audio into the game, and I applaud Schiit for creating the Fulla. I'm still going to hold out hope that they use all the DAC's capabilities rather than neuter part of the chip. Even if the chip will only do DSD to PCM (don't know, not an engineer), allowing that conversion would allow people with DSD files to still use the chip to listen to these files and get a similar, though potentially slightly degraded audio experience.

Did anyone at RMAF get a listen to this? If so did you try DSD files? I'll wait to declare it doesn't have a feature until the creators of the Fulla, or someone who has attempted to listen to DSD through the Fulla lets me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back