Full-size headphone suggestion for electronic and metal
Feb 24, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always wonder. Do you actually listen to electronica/metal? Cause I find that absolutely utterly painful to listen to with SA5000.

Just because you find the SA5000 too bright doesn't mean that everyone will find the SA5000 too bright. Treble issues are easy to solve anyway by pairing with the correct amp.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you find the SA5000 too bright doesn't mean that everyone will find the SA5000 too bright. Treble issues are easy to solve anyway by pairing with the correct amp.

That's interesting. Because I don't recall him saying anything about everyone else finding the SA5000 too bright.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

True. But I paid attention over time to some people who followed such recommendations and got SA5000. Without going into details, majority of them do not own SA5000 anymore.

Also I am questioning the idea that people who DO listen to metal will really recommend SA5000 - I suspect its those people who do not listen to all that much metal who make that recommendation. Did you catch that part?

< Let's not get into the argument about amps. >

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Also I am questioning the idea that people who DO listen to metal will really recommend SA5000 - I suspect its those people who do not listen to all that much metal who make that recommendation. Did you catch that part?

< Let's not get into the argument about amps. >

Well, metal is all about speed, and the SA5000 is one of the fastest headphones out there, outside of electrostats. Of course, there's question marks about whether it has too little bass, but it's down to personal preference.

There's some who likes to listen to metal on the K701 too.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Or HD650
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, where are the Sennheiser fanboys?

LD Mk3 + HD650 sound so good to my ears I've stopped looking for new headphones. Yes, even with metal.

(Well not true exactly, I'd like to hear a closed version of the HD650 and the closest I've come to is the SE530, but I'd appreciate a full-sized closed version of the HD650 =P)

Maybe when I listen to a Grado RS-1 (but if the Denon highs are any indication, i won't like it)

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

I always wonder. Do you actually listen to electronica/metal? Cause I find that absolutely utterly painful to listen to with SA5000.

More electronica than metal, and I prefer older metal. Also, I usually run them off of tubes. With really bright recordings, you're right, they can be tough to listen to. But if you keep the volume low, the deep bass makes up for it. But you do have a point there.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or HD650
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, where are the Sennheiser fanboys?

LD Mk3 + HD650 sound so good to my ears I've stopped looking for new headphones. Yes, even with metal.

(Well not true exactly, I'd like to hear a closed version of the HD650 and the closest I've come to is the SE530, but I'd appreciate a full-sized closed version of the HD650 =P)

Maybe when I listen to a Grado RS-1 (but if the Denon highs are any indication, i won't like it)

Hi I'm iGig and I listen to metal on HD650
Some people say it's wrong and it may be politically incorrect but I can't stop myself!
650 + SS amp + well mastered metal = total bliss for me

Like you, I'm also looking for a full sized closed HD650, my house is noisy I really need this.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #23 of 31
A lot of suggestions, keep them coming!

It's interesting to hear how differently people regard the strengths and weaknesses of headphones. Guess I have to find somewhere in Denmark where can audition some of them after I've read a little bit more

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Well, metal is all about speed, and the SA5000 is one of the fastest headphones out there, outside of electrostats. Of course, there's question marks about whether it has too little bass, but it's down to personal preference.

Since when is metal about speed? Isis anyone?

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

I listen to electronica/metal almost exclusively and love them on my AD900s. Not everyone agrees with my preferences.

Are you going to ask if I even listen to electronica/metal also?

Not everyone enjoys music in the same manner as you do. Give your opinion, your suggestion, be done with it. Why even bother criticizing how someone enjoys their music? It's not a definitive science, a subjective hobby...

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to electronica/metal almost exclusively and love them on my AD900s. Not everyone agrees with my preferences.

Are you going to ask if I even listen to electronica/metal also?

Not everyone enjoys music in the same manner as you do. Give your opinion, your suggestion, be done with it. Why even bother criticizing how someone enjoys their music? It's not a definitive science, a subjective hobby...

Because I find that majority of people on head-fi do not have the credentials to make such a statement. Just because AD900 is the best thing you heard with metal doesn't mean it IS the best thing with metal now, does it?

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #28 of 31
Beyer DT880

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Because I find that majority of people on head-fi do not have the credentials to make such a statement. Just because AD900 is the best thing you heard with metal doesn't mean it IS the best thing with metal now, does it?

Right, so what credentials do you have in that case? A degree in "I'm the only person that's correct in the internet!", M I RITE? This is a forum, where we share our opinions and our experiences. No one claims that their experience is the holy truth, but if you have nothing to share with us why are you posting in this topic?

Isis is but a small subset of metal. Naturally, there's no such thing in the world as a headphone that can do all metal subgenres well, the Grados do badly for some of those atmospheric metal too. Any respectable music genre is certain to incorporate an endless amount of styles and diversity. But if you are listening to Megadeth, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Atheist, Death, Immortal, etc etc than speed is certainly of upmost importance, the best metal headphones are the ones that's the fastest.

Of course speed isn't the only factor for metal headphones, a certain amount of bass slam is necessary too. Why do you share with us your opinion as to what makes a good metal headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back