Full-size headphone suggestion for electronic and metal
Feb 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Mutarotation

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I've been coming to this site for a long time, but for some reason this is my first post.
It is now time for me to call on the collective knowledge and experience of this forum to help me take the new step in my musical life!
After having used IEMs for a long time, I think it's time for me to invest in a good pair of full-size headphones. If you know a really good amp for the suggested phone, then by all means tell me as well.
I mainly listen to electronic music (Minimal techno, house, drum & base and dubstep) and metal ( New wave of american heavy metal (chimaira and mastodon) and industrial) Odd mix I know :wink:.
Your help would be sincerely appreciated.

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 31
Thanks!

I haven't got an amp that could drive a full-size headphone as well as I would like, so phone + amp advises would be welcome. I do own a Cambridge DAC-Magic to use as a source. A complete budget would be 1100 USD for amp + phone.

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 31
open or closed? thats a huge factor in sound. If you love metal and have a good budget i say get some Grados (rs-2 or rs-1) but for the amp im not sure ive always used portable amp/DAC's so i couldnt help you too much there.

grados wont have that thump for electronic but they are a metal DREAM when it comes to vocals and guitar, the music is very warm though with the woodies.

Im currently using Ultrasone HD-750's for electronic/closed headphones and they are a bass lovers dream with much better mid and high end than my old beyer 770's did.

For overall Electronic and metal i would go for a high end Ultrasone. I hear Denon's are great also but ive never auditioned a pair.

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 31
I've heard good things about the Ultrasone, so I guess I have a little homework to do. The headphones are to be used at home, where it is quiet, so I can use both open and closed cans.

The Ultrasone 750 sits "on the ear" right?

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihility /img/forum/go_quote.gif
open or closed? thats a huge factor in sound. If you love metal and have a good budget i say get some Grados (rs-2 or rs-1) but for the amp im not sure ive always used portable amp/DAC's so i couldnt help you too much there.

grados wont have that thump for electronic but they are a metal DREAM when it comes to vocals and guitar, the music is very warm though with the woodies.

Im currently using Ultrasone HD-750's for electronic/closed headphones and they are a bass lovers dream with much better mid and high end than my old beyer 770's did.

For overall Electronic and metal i would go for a high end Ultrasone. I hear Denon's are great also but ive never auditioned a pair.

Granted they won't have that "thump", they will sound bubbly, clear and fast, which is a plus if you prefer those attributes.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 31
750 surrounds the ear.

Grados will punch very hard so there is some leeway there...

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 31
I would reccommend the denon d5000 or d7000. Its a headphone with excellent bass that doesnt creep to much into the midrange, and has plenty of energy in the high end. I was really digging some KORN and Diisturbed the other night with the d5000 the bass is incredible! Grado is good for metal, but my sr125 doesnt deliver much in the bass department. I would try a higher end grado, the only factor for me is the general discomfort of having the driver on the ear.

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 31
It won't get too many recommendations here, but read up on the Sony MDR-SA5000. It's a good fit for electronica and metal - fast, clean and the lows are great. Pair one with a good desktop solid state amp and you'd be happy. The Gilmore Lite, M^3, Eddie Current EC/SS, or maybe even a custom Beta22 if you could swing that. All of those will punch hard down low, which is something a lot of tube amps struggle with.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It won't get too many recommendations here, but read up on the Sony MDR-SA5000. It's a good fit for electronica and metal - fast, clean and the lows are great. Pair one with a good desktop solid state amp and you'd be happy. The Gilmore Lite, M^3, Eddie Current EC/SS, or maybe even a custom Beta22 if you could swing that. All of those will punch hard down low, which is something a lot of tube amps struggle with.

I always wonder. Do you actually listen to electronica/metal? Cause I find that absolutely utterly painful to listen to with SA5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back