frying pan - fi
Jul 3, 2008 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
My mom has assigned me to look for a top quality frying pan as the chinese ones she bought are are damaged by the heat. She said an important quality shes looking for is the NON-STICKY part becauses shes had a hard time cleaning the previous pans.

Any suggestions? is calphalon a good brand? whats the difference btw cast iron and stainless steel and stainless steel coated with copper and gold and the tonnes of other metallic elements out there?

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 41
Teflon pans are cheap garbage, get a decent solid steel pan with a thick base - those are the best. You won't find anything else in a professional kitchen. And they don't stick either - if you know how to cook.
wink.gif

I'm in Europe, and we have brands like WMF or Fissler... don't know if they're available over at your place. Good pans cost about 100 Euros... but they're worth it, since they last forever compared to the Teflon junk that lasts a few months before the coating dissolves.

I have these pans, made from German Cromargan 18/10 stainless steel: WMF

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 41
Jul 3, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 41
As with amplifiers and toasters, go vintage. Track down a cast iron Griswold skillet, find out how to condition it, do that, and you'll have a non-stick skillet that will last you a lifetime. They come in several sizes. Don't get WagnerWare, they don't measure up. The teflon on most modern skillets is toxic, BTW, but most people don't know it yet.
cool.gif

Laz

Jul 3, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As with amplifiers and toasters, go vintage. Track down a cast iron Griswold skillet, find out how to condition it, do that, and you'll have a non-stick skillet that will last you a lifetime. They come in several sizes. Don't get WagnerWare, they don't measure up. The teflon on most modern skillets is toxic, BTW, but most people don't know it yet.
cool.gif

Laz

condition iron with peanut oil, rub on with rag & bake at high heat. Do this numerous times till it looks all black, Lazarus is right, will last a life time
smily_headphones1.gif
... and as dfkt said, if you know how to cook, nothing will stick ... btw, we also have the ss all-clad pans as well, these are great.

Jul 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 41
Laz is right. Go with cast iron and learn to season and care for it. You do not want a non-stick pan. The coatings are bad for you. As for baked on food, I've never encountered anything that did not come off with an overnight soak in soap and water.

Jul 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 41
I regard any review by the magazine called Cook's Illustrated as the gospel. Seek out a review on non-stick pans by this publisher at your local public library. Also, look at reviews by Consumer reports.

Depending on how the pan will be used, I cannot fault a Calphalon non-stick pan as I use two of them with good results. If you want to spend more money, professional chefs use stainless steel pans. Search the Interent for reviews of higher end (i.e.very, very expensive) pans.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 41
For non stick pan, I think your best bet will be Scanpan, not too expensive but durable.

As far as I know all non stick will eventually go anyway, they are not built to last forever so no point in spending a small fortune for it.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #12 of 41
Yes, if your Mom cooks for 16 hours on 20,000 BTU burners for hundreds of people and has a score cheap labor in the back scrubbing her pots by all means get a very expensive set of pans.

If she wants something cheap with a good non-stick coating that can be washed in 10 seconds with just water check out the Analon stuff. I've had my $50 pan for over a year with no issues. Maybe it's giving me cancer. I don't know yet.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 41
We had these in culinary school. I liked them so much I bought a few for the house. Different frying pans are used for different applications. Cast Iron has its place, and this pan is certainly a good start to a collection. The All-Clad copper core pans are great. The heat on the all-clad is amazingly even from the lowest temp all the way up to sear.

And per the manufacturers site, the copper core line can be used with metal, wood, and nylon utensils. They can also be cleaned in the dishwasher. You don't need the brigade of "cheap labor" mentioned in the previous posts to get these pans clean. Expensive... but excellent.

Amazon.com: All-Clad Copper Core 12-Inch Fry Pan: Kitchen & Dining

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I regard any review by the magazine called Cook's Illustrated as the gospel. Seek out a review on non-stick pans by this publisher at your local public library.

Cook's Illustrated is an excellent source of information for all things food-related (well, as long as it's not TOO exotic). All recipes were tried and varied upon several dozen to over a hundred times before being suggested to its readers.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 41
Just trust me, get this one.

It's a large, rather hefty aluminum pan with a non-stick surface. NSF approved, silicon handles, riveted to the pan. Good balance, and relatively inexpensive. This is the stuff pros use in restaurants, demonstration kitches, catering gigs, etc.

Accept that non-stick pans are not "lifers" like a good stainless All Clad set, and that the surface wears out after a few years. This silverstone product is the real deal, I own a few pieces, and make sure to get the one with the blue / black handle.

Since it's heavy, it'll hold heat consistently and won't scorch, but you can turn it up pretty high to do a fast sear or a quick stir fry. The handle is grippy and stays cool.

Good luck and report back on your findings / purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back