From W3 to UM3X back to W3.......?
May 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 91
Excellent point. And exactly the way I sort of feel about the W3s right now, though the aforementioned need to EQ the highs does bug me somewhat. Plus, maybe if you listen for 6-7 hours at a clip, then top-tier BA phones are not for you (or you need a pair of dynamics for those occasions). Not sure. But I really need to give a good A/B listen between the W3 and the UM3X to find out where I stand. Not sure if that will happen, of course, due to cost considerations. I have a decent new, relatively low-budget dynamic canal phone in my collection (Vsonic R02 Pro II), which I am burning in to review, so that base is covered, since I tried out the higher priced spread (IE8 and IE7), and found them to be not worth the price compared to the Westone 3.

May 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #32 of 91
Well, I certainly do not feel any need for any EQ whatsoever right now - Nothing shows deficiencies in music gear as classical music and I honestly do not feel any need to boost anything anywhere along the spectrum. Most definitely not the highs anyway- like i said before, triangles's attack-decay is simply sublime!
I would suggest to try different fitting options again, Tstarn
biggrin.gif
(I feel sick just from typing this - I was so fed up with this W3 fitting business!!!!!!!!!! )
Triflanges for me made the sound much too warm, congested with "rounded off" highs. Large grey complies are what I'm sticking with now- purrrrrrfect sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #33 of 91
I personally never had fatigue & SQ problems with the W3 with Classical, Jazz & Acoustic music, which amount to 75-80% of the music I listen to - 65% being Classical only - and in fact the W3's were brilliant with these genres.

The issues I had were more with most types of Rock music, specially the heavier and busier types, ie lots of things going on at once, and here's where often the low & high frequencies became an issue for me after more prolonged listening periods at higher volumes, though not necessarily 'loud'.

And so, here's where the UM3X is the winner (for me), as it delivers in every type of music I listen to. I also had the SE530 and felt highs were weak, specially with Classical music and less so with Jazz.

Today I listened to Art Lande & Mark Isham's album We Begin (ECM 1987) and particularly my favourite track there, Surface and Symbol; the piano, percussion, wind instruments and synthesizer were presented so right by the UM3X, specially the high frequencies; the 'simple' percussion on this near 11-minute piece can be very fatiguing with other IEM's at moderately high volume. With the UM3X all the details were there, not veiled/ recessed/ rolled off. This is a relatively quiet piece that has this fascinating build-up - probably repetitive & boring for some.

If I didn't know the UM3X, I'd definitely be getting the W3's again, that's for sure, and not the SE530's.

EDIT: Another perfect example of were I definitely prefer the UM3X's over the W3's is Peter Gabriel's Red Rain from his album So (1986) - Here the (low) bass and (busy )drumming in particular are brilliant and VERY demanding for a good IEM as there's lots going on the whole instrumentation of the song with added vocals. I can play this track loud and get no thumping feeling in my ears or 'shrill' highs, but I do get that deep punchy bass and clearly defined highs.

Supertramp's Crime of the Century from the same album from 1974 is just another great example where the UM3X excel. Here the piano, sax, electric guitar and some great drumming sound powerful, specially 2 and half mins into the song - stunning!

Nirvana's Rape Me form In Utero (1993) - NO way I could play this song loud with the W3.

New Order's Blue Monday from their Substance album (1987) - same as the Nirvana's song above - I can play this one LOUD and it's just...!

OK, enough of what now seems like me trying to convince people out there to get the UM3X - I'm just so pleased and impressed. Yes, the W3 is a great IEM, but the UM3X is more my cup of tea. If I keep adding all these comments, I reckon, is because I know how hard it is to make the right decision with countless posts and reviews - been there myself.

May 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #34 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And so, here's where the UM3X is the winner (for me), as it delivers in every type of music I listen to. I also had the SE530 and felt highs were weak, specially with Classical music and less so with Jazz.

Thank you very much for your little review! I am starting to get more convinced the UM3X (or Sennheisers IE8) is the deal for me. Is there anything negative about UM3X compared to W3 as you know?

May 17, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #35 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxxy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much for your little review! I am starting to get more convinced the UM3X (or Sennheisers IE8) is the deal for me. Is there anything negative about UM3X compared to W3 as you know?

The UM3X's only come with comply tips, NO level attenuator or 1/4" adapter is included, but they're also $20 cheaper. In my case I only wish they included the soft grey silicone tips as I don't need the other extra stuff.

Also I'm sure some (many?) will prefer the more polished and 'cool' look of the W3 and better finish - not me, I like it just as is as long as they are well made and long-lasting.

May 17, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I certainly do not feel any need for any EQ whatsoever right now - Nothing shows deficiencies in music gear as classical music and I honestly do not feel any need to boost anything anywhere along the spectrum. Most definitely not the highs anyway- like i said before, triangles's attack-decay is simply sublime!
I would suggest to try different fitting options again, Tstarn
biggrin.gif
(I feel sick just from typing this - I was so fed up with this W3 fitting business!!!!!!!!!! )
Triflanges for me made the sound much too warm, congested with "rounded off" highs. Large grey complies are what I'm sticking with now- purrrrrrfect sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't get me wrong, when i do EQ the highs (acoustic setting on my Touch, and some clicks on the highest three bands on my Clip and Sony), the W3s are excellent. And I have some large Complys on hand, but not the best for my sound taste (but not bad, no sibilance at all).

My main problem is with my Zune, which has no EQ, and is my main large capacity players.

I may end up with the UM3X, who knows?

May 17, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #37 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxxy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I have read, the UM3X and the IE8s are totally different IEMs. I sold my IE8s for the W3s, because I want great isolation with my IEMs, and I also like the W3 sound much more.

May 17, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #38 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..... Plus, maybe if you listen for 6-7 hours at a clip, then top-tier BA phones are not for you......

Intriguing. This notion of listening. Does anybody actually actively listen to music for 6-7 hours at a stretch ( listening as in for pleasure, not monitoring/studio work/playing etc )? If so, wow, in fact double wow....Not sure I could or would do that - a 2 mebbe up to 4 hour active listening session would be about my limit. Then I'd have to go do something else (& a cup of tea would be high on the list!) in part so I could absorb & let what I'd heard resonate.

I have read posts where people say they listen to music all day, but I'm trying here not to confuse listening with music playing as background while we do other things...sort of aural wallpaper (not my cuppa tea at all -I tend to like to give full attention to music, probably why I'd find it difficult maintaining such marathon sessions.)

Apologies for the thread-jack. And the slightly obsessive underlying 'tea' theme -must mean I need a brew, lol. Butting out.

May 17, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #39 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree! They are more balanced and not fun sounding as W3.
So westone is quite correctly recommend it for musicians and W3 for personel listening.

It makes me wonder what musicians use for personal listening when they're off stage and don't need to analyse the music.

kloan-
No I didn't find the TF10 treble sibilant, but I did find it very pronounced. So as the volume went up (which it always did with the TF10!), it would get quite tiring. I like the W3 treble more, it's not as pronounced but it sounds more natural to me.

May 17, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #40 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Intriguing. This notion of listening. Does anybody actually actively listen to music for 6-7 hours at a stretch ( listening as in for pleasure, not monitoring/studio work/playing etc )? If so, wow, in fact double wow....Not sure I could or would do that - a 2 mebbe up to 4 hour active listening session would be about my limit. Then I'd have to go do something else (& a cup of tea would be high on the list!) in part so I could absorb & let what I'd heard resonate.

I have read posts where people say they listen to music all day, but I'm trying here not to confuse listening with music playing as background while we do other things...sort of aural wallpaper (not my cuppa tea at all -I tend to like to give full attention to music, probably why I'd find it difficult maintaining such marathon sessions.)

Apologies for the thread-jack. And the slightly obsessive underlying 'tea' theme -must mean I need a brew, lol. Butting out.

I meant if you listen all day, like at work, maybe a dynamic phone would prevent listening fatigue, if the listening is more along the lines of background music. I work at home, so my daylong listening typically is through some vintage KLH speakers and my Class D amp, so no chance for fatigue. In my case, my 1-2 45-minute daily dog walks are my prime listening sessions, mixed in with some 1-2 hour sessions late at night after the family hits the sack. So I agree, and I guess I meant use, not listen.

May 18, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #41 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It makes me wonder what musicians use for personal listening when they're off stage and don't need to analyse the music.

kloan-
No I didn't find the TF10 treble sibilant, but I did find it very pronounced. So as the volume went up (which it always did with the TF10!), it would get quite tiring. I like the W3 treble more, it's not as pronounced but it sounds more natural to me.

Ok, good. That's what I was wondering. I didn't find the treble sibilant, but it always felt like it was on the verge, in otherwords it would get tiring after a while (and some sensitive recordings were too much). So it's nice to read the W3 is more pleasant.

I should know soon when I get mine... the UM3X are certainly growing on me. I had a great listening session before going to sleep last night, listening ONLY to lossless recordings on my iPod Touch v2. There was no hiss (unlike quite audible hiss with lower bitrate music), and it sounded very good all around.

May 18, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, good. That's what I was wondering. I didn't find the treble sibilant, but it always felt like it was on the verge, in otherwords it would get tiring after a while (and some sensitive recordings were too much). So it's nice to read the W3 is more pleasant.

I should know soon when I get mine... the UM3X are certainly growing on me. I had a great listening session before going to sleep last night, listening ONLY to lossless recordings on my iPod Touch v2. There was no hiss (unlike quite audible hiss with lower bitrate music), and it sounded very good all around.

I'd really like to hear what you think of the W3 now that the UM3X is growing on you. Maybe you'll find the 'wow' is too much after the balance of the UM3X. I'm kind of addicted to the wow
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, good. That's what I was wondering. I didn't find the treble sibilant, but it always felt like it was on the verge...

That was my take on Triple.Fi's with the stock cable, the Null Audio cable reined them in/smoothed them out a bit. They still retain the same quality but I don't find them bordering on sibilance or as fatiguing.

May 18, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #44 of 91
I noticed that as well with the cable, and if the bass wasn't reduced I probably would have enjoyed them more... I am a bit of a basshead still.

May 18, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #45 of 91
I've noticed that they do seem to lack a bit of punch compared to stock but not dramatically. Of course I don't believe the cable I have is quite the same as current production Null Audio cables so there may be some variance there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back