From W3 to UM3X back to W3.......?
May 16, 2009 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

kloan

1000+ Head-Fier
Who here has gone from the W3 to the UM3X only to go back to W3, or at least thinking of it?

I'm wondering what are the most noticeable differences between the two, and why one would be chosen over the other?

What kind of music do you listen to on either one that makes you prefer it over the other?

May 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 91
I heard that Um3x get better mid range and bass, and w3 get better clarity. Im thinkin of change w3 to um3x but i think w3 get better looking><

May 16, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 91
I put in an order for UM3X, and I have the W3 right now, so I am potentially someone who will go the path you described.

But we'll see.
wink.gif

May 16, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 91
Ah...I knew it would happen
regular_smile .gif

UM3X will certainly be seen as boring to some. W3 is more "wow" and exciting but UM3X is undisputably smoother and more accurate. Different strokes for different folks.

In my case I found W3 bass hump too distracting and the treble was fatiguing on my ears. UM3X fixed both of those things. I listen to different types of jazz, acoustic, vocal and jazz fusion.

May 16, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah...I knew it would happen
regular_smile .gif

UM3X will certainly be seen as boring to some. W3 is more "wow" and exciting but UM3X is undisputably smoother and more accurate. Different strokes for different folks.

In my case I found W3 bass hump too distracting and the treble was fatiguing on my ears. UM3X fixed both of those things. I listen to different types of jazz, acoustic, vocal and jazz fusion.

haah, if this happen, it won't suprise any one change back to W3.

Seems to me ,W3 and UM3X is different

May 16, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 91
I can't help but feel somewhat curious as to how the W3 sound now. While the UM3X does have exceptional sound for some of the music I listen to, as I discovered last night some music tends to sound to mid-centric. I fiddled with iTunes EQ and tuned it to how I think the W3 sound, and I must say I preferred it to un-EQ'd.

If the W3 do indeed have more wow factor, I wonder if I might be happier with them. If it weren't for the forward mids with the UM3X, I might think otherwise. I'd also like a bit more bass in some tracks.

Ultimately, I'd like to know if the W3 has more or less sparkly treble than the Triple.Fi, since I found theirs to be a bit too much.

May 16, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 91
I dont think they will be forward at all; I just think you are used to the more U shaped response curve and thats what you think music is supposed to sound like. use a better EQ like the Rockbox one to change to W3 if you like. should be pretty easy. itunes EQ sux. true though going from what I remember you like as far as your music, perhaps an accurate IEM isnt your thing and the U is more U

May 16, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't help but feel somewhat curious as to how the W3 sound now. While the UM3X does have exceptional sound for some of the music I listen to, as I discovered last night some music tends to sound to mid-centric. I fiddled with iTunes EQ and tuned it to how I think the W3 sound, and I must say I preferred it to un-EQ'd.

If the W3 do indeed have more wow factor, I wonder if I might be happier with them. If it weren't for the forward mids with the UM3X, I might think otherwise. I'd also like a bit more bass in some tracks.

Ultimately, I'd like to know if the W3 has more or less sparkly treble than the Triple.Fi, since I found theirs to be a bit too much.

There is only one way to find out, Kloan. Go get it
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think they will be forward at all; I just think you are used to the more U shaped response curve and thats what you think music is supposed to sound like. use a better EQ like the Rockbox one to change to W3 if you like. should be pretty easy. itunes EQ sux. true though going from what I remember you like as far as your music, perhaps an accurate IEM isnt your thing and the U is more U

You're probably right. I do tend to like the U shape, but not as prounounced as the Triple.Fi.

My curiosity has once again got the better of me. I just bought Ath's W3, so I'll know soon enough which one I prefer. I'm kinda hoping it's the UM3X, since I stand to lose more selling them having bought them new. They're also the least fatiguing IEMs I've ever heard.

May 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 91
W3 is much more sparkly than TFPro. TFPro sounds much closer to UM3X.

W3 is much more dynamic than both. Bigger bass, spikier treble but it comes with some unwanted characteristics I described above. It's a trade-off.

May 16, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 91
I think maybe I'm one of the only UM3X/W3 owners who's not enjoying the UM3X as much the W3. That's not to say I don't like the UM3X, I do. There's nothing I can actually pinpoint as 'wrong' about them, I'm just not getting the same fun factor from them that I do with the W3. But I'm going to carry on listening for a week or two in the hope that they might grow on me. Sometimes it takes me longer than normal to adjust to a different sound signature.

Spyro - I loved the TF10 to bits. But the UM3X don't really sound similar to me. Different ears and all that
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 91
I have a similar experience with you soozieq, I find the UM3X and Triple.Fi to be two different beasts. I'd say overall they remind me of the E500 if anything.

One thing I'm curious about, since you have the W3 and had the Triple.Fi, did you at any point with any music find the treble with the Triple.Fi too sharp or peaky? Not quite sibilant, but almost?

If what Spyro says is true about the W3 having peakier treble than Triple.Fi, I won't like the W3 at all.

And yes, with some music, the mids are definitely forward with the UM3X.. there's no doubt in my mind. Some of my music even sounds lo-fi.

May 17, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 91
I only have the W3s right now, and with the modded tri-flanges, I never find the treble peaky or harsh. In fact, I've had to resort to some EQing on the high end. But when I do, they really sound fantastic across all genres. I am also curious about the UM3X, but Soozieq's post has me wondering. I would love to have both, and pick one. But can only afford one.

May 17, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 91
soozieq should definitely have more time to adjust to the more natural signature of UM3X
before any fair judgment can be made, not to mention the trying new tips, positions, mojos, etc. a new IEM demands, albeit it has similar size and casing compared to the UM2.
And if it's any indication, the high praises for natural sound ES3X plays should give one
"hope".
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back