From Denon d1000 to D2000
Sep 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

amp2xpand

100+ Head-Fier
I've bought the denon d1000 about 2 years ago. I really enjoyed these a lot back then, but then i realized i liked the "open" sound better. As of today I'm mainly using the alessandros ms2 and beyer dt880. These 2 offer the clarity that i've always wanted, but sometimes can be ear piercing from their highs. then just recently i took out my d1000 to take a break from the the ms2 and dt880, and WOW! Even though they don't offer the detail and clarity of the ms2 and dt880, i really liked the "fullness" from the d2000 bass. When I put back on the ms2 and dt880, the clarity and resolution is a lot better, but the "fullness" is gone and it takes some time to get used to the sound again. 

I've thought about recabling the d1000, since i've heard from many head-fiers that it will improve the bass and clarity. But I've read that it still won't be able to compete with the d2000. 

So is the D2000 worth buying if i already have the D1000? Or is it just better to recable the d1000? Right now i'm hoping to get "fullness" from the bass, and hopefully better resolution and clarity from the d1000. As much as I like d1000's fullness, i think it can sound muddy sometimes. I'm hoping to get controlled bass and better clarity from the d2000. 

I'm mainly listening to rock, classic rock, electronica, and vocals. 

thanks for the help guys. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 21
I have both the Denon D1001 and the D2000

wife uses the 1001 where I use the D2000 but for me its a nice upgrade and even the wife notices the bass is not as boomy and loose is how she said it sounds compared to the 1001 

for me its all the way across the board nicer than the 1001 we have ? and very happy I got them
smily_headphones1.gif
I was looking at the dt880 and dt990 but never got a chance to hear them ? might try some day 
I did have for a short time the ATH-AD700

and hands down the Denon D2000 are nicer in every way for me and even for gaming I think the Denon beat the AT 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I mostly listen to Hawaiian music and Dancehall/reggae stuff 
the dancehall can get bass heavy but the D2000 is nice and reminds me of the Dancehalls when I lived in the caribbean and really brings the music to life more than the 1001 which is a bit speakery cheap boomy compared 

the Hawaiian stuff like Brudah IZ with the Uke and voice he has is much much clearer and when hearing a good Uke player in real life you can really hear the wood along with the pluck of the strings ! the D2000 I can hear the wood ! the 1001 I hear the pluck but the wood sound was missing ? 
also the voices are much cleaner and the fine details of things are just a bit easier to hear 

I dont get into the describing mids and such so much cause I like better to compare to other sets !

so I have a set of Grado 80s and the 1001 and the 2000 and my old fostex T series from my DJ days
smily_headphones1.gif

the D2000 are by far my favorite of my choices 
the D1001 to the D2000 to me is a nice solid jump up in sound cleaner all the way across and bass is much tighter and less boomy box sounding the vocals come out more and the rough voices of some of the dancehall singers is much more detailed !!!! and compared with the AD700 they were to bright and loud in a cheaper way ? hard to describe but its like listening to a really nice stereo louder than a cheaper one and the cheaper one hurts more even though its not as loud ! 

hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 21

[size=medium]
Thanks Honu for the feedback. thats what i was hoping the d2000 would be: better bass control and better clarity throughout the board. I hope the vocals would be better than the d1001's too, because i sometimes feel that the d1000s vocal is a little recessed. From your description of the vocals being more clear and detailed, making it easier to hear is exactly what i was aiming for. 

I also have the ad700, and i agree with you that its brighter than the denon sound. It is a very airy sounding headphone, with vocals sometimes sounding cheap. I use to like the ad700 a lot, the dt880 is very similar to them but just better in everyway. But i'm considering the d2000, because i wanted something different that offers better bass quantity and quality. 

I was just wondering how much better the d2000 is going to be over the d1000. I really like the d1001 for what it is, but i was want something more refined that fixes some of its faults. 
[/size]

Quote:
I just ordered d1100 from Amazon.com.  I've heard it's better than d1000, but I'm very curious to find out how it compares to d2000.

I've never heard of the d1100. i thought that you were referring to the d1001. but when i looked up the d1100, they look different than the d1001. Are they a new model? i havent been able to find much information on them. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:

I've thought about recabling the d1000, since i've heard from many head-fiers that it will improve the bass and clarity. But I've read that it still won't be able to compete with the d2000. 

I'm mainly listening to rock, classic rock, electronica, and vocals.   
thanks for the help guys. 

I wouldn't worry about recabling. Get the D2000, and then send it to Lawton Audio for the mod.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
I assume you have a good amp/source for driving them. 
Check this

yes, if i get the d2000, i'll be driving them with an amp. The amp that i'm currently using is the little dot mkIII tube amp. I'm not sure if this amp is going to be a good with the d2000. The little dot mkIII is a warm sounding amp, and when paired with the warm sounding d2000, i wonder if its going to have good synergy. Also, i'm also wondering if its going to drive the low impedance d2000. The little dot mkiii is recommended to be used with 32-600 ohms; i hope it'll have enough current to drive the 25ohm d2000 adequately. Do you guys have any experience with the d2000 combined with the little dot mkiii tube amp? 

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 21
The only thing holding me back from buying the d2000 is if they offer enough clarity, detail, and resolution. I want something that sounds "full" with good bass, yet still keep decent clarity. My d1001 is not too bad, but even though it sounds "full", the bass is loose and flabby. The mids and highs are sometimes sounds too recessed from the bass. If the d2000 were to fix these faults, i'll definitely get them. but for now, i'm hoping for other's experience to help me make a decision. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
The mids and highs are sometimes sounds too recessed from the bass. If the d2000 were to fix these faults, i'll definitely get them. but for now, i'm hoping for other's experience to help me make a decision. 

I dont know if its cause the bass is more controlled and tighter that the mids and highs seem to fall in line better ? or they just do ? the later is my thought though they just are nicer ? 

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:

I dont know if its cause the bass is more controlled and tighter that the mids and highs seem to fall in line better ? or they just do ? the later is my thought though they just are nicer ? 

I think you could be right. The tighter bass probably doesn't overpower the mids and highs like the d1000 do. To respond to your earlier post about comparing mids and highs; I don't have actual graphs to represent what i'm hearing, but the only reference i have to compare headphones are other headphones that i've heard before. Since you probably havent heard the d880 or ms2, we can probably compare the d2000 to sr80, ad700, and d1000. 

If you are comparing the d2000 to the d1000, and there was absolutely no bass. Would the mids and highs of the d2000 be significantly/noticeably better than the d1000? I'm hoping that the d2000 is actually better in that area, rather than just having tighter bass. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
    Quote:
I've never heard of the d1100. i thought that you were referring to the d1001. but when i looked up the d1100, they look different than the d1001. Are they a new model? i havent been able to find much information on them. 

Yup, d1100 is the new model.  On the paper, it seems to share identical driver as to the 100th year anniversary model, which has wooden housing and goes for $499.  I was very intrigued of this fact that I decided to give it a try.  I believe d1100 has 50mm driver which Denon claims to be the biggest among the comparable ranges.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Yup, d1100 is the new model.  On the paper, it seems to share identical driver as to the 100th year anniversary model, which has wooden housing and goes for $499.  I was very intrigued of this fact that I decided to give it a try.  I believe d1100 has 50mm driver which Denon claims to be the biggest among the comparable ranges.

I'm really curious how these sound too. Have you listened to the d2000 yet? If you have, will you describe the differences that you hear once you get the d1100? 

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:

I think you could be right. The tighter bass probably doesn't overpower the mids and highs like the d1000 do. To respond to your earlier post about comparing mids and highs; I don't have actual graphs to represent what i'm hearing, but the only reference i have to compare headphones are other headphones that i've heard before. Since you probably havent heard the d880 or ms2, we can probably compare the d2000 to sr80, ad700, and d1000. 

If you are comparing the d2000 to the d1000, and there was absolutely no bass. Would the mids and highs of the d2000 be significantly/noticeably better than the d1000? I'm hoping that the d2000 is actually better in that area, rather than just having tighter bass. 

if you go to song #8 
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/facing-future/id6920356
White Sandy beach of Hawaii

listened to this back and forth a ton no amp straight out of the Mac Pro ? 

while the sound is very very close the D2000 have a much more open feel like the instruments have more breathing room if you will ? its not right between the ears sound of the 1001 
of course some of this is the headphones size and earpads etc.. but that is part of the sound
smily_headphones1.gif
so what I hear is a bit more wood sound and while very close its a more pleasent sound and a bit less speakery sounding ? 
so significant ? not sure yes and no ? I think yes my wife would say no ? I say that open feel is the improvement and makes it not as in my head as around me I can really forget I am wearing headphones on some things its so much more open feeling to me ? 

the pickup off the strings has a bit more feel to it rather than a sound ? again small difference but its noticeable to me and if I was blind folded and the same ear pads somehow could be on I could pick out the D2000 and I would like that bit more open sound 

track #12 in that album this is where I can really hear the difference the 1001 are still good but its so much more open with the D2000
and the dynamic range if you will of the drums allows then to sound much more like each type of drum ? 
not as compressed and small again ? but along with that much tighter and not nearly as sloppy ? 

when I was looking asking in another thread about what to get ? part of my thing is I loved the Denon but wanted a bit less bass ? now that I have them I have had the D2000 about 2 weeks and about 4 - 8 hours or more each day on them but maybe what I wanted was more controlled bass ! 
the AD700 as you know has less bass ! and I found that I did not like that along with the highs being a bit bright at times almost harsh when trying to hear it loud
smily_headphones1.gif
so was not as comfortable to listen to extended times without being tired 

I can have the D2000 on for hours straight no problem the 1001 I noticed I have to have a bit lower volume level or the boomy gets a bit tiring 

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/til-shiloh-expanded/id416424

song #5

to me sounds tons better on the D2000 but here is a case where you hear more bass but its so much controlled its not like the 1001 where its trying to get the lower sound and just cant and it cant be again as dynamic with other instruments so again sounds much smaller which to me totally changes the sound 

the more I did some back and forth with a few songs trying to think of how to describe it to you the more I think the mids and highs sound about the same but they are better placed with larger stage if you will ? not sure the cool headphone term for that
smily_headphones1.gif

while the bass being so much better to me can really change the feel of a song ! such as the last example ? 

now again I am looking for it and trying to hear it so again its not like on a scale of 1-10 its not a 5 to 10 its more a 8-9 in difference if that makes sense 

but after having them I would not want to go back and wont ever listen to the grado again ? 

I can say since I am more into home theater and speakers my NAD and PSB stuff is good enough stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

the sound out of my setup is kinda the same before playing with placeement of the speakers and sub but once dialed in the bass really became controlled and the rest really opened up echo bounces and such were controlled and so while the sound might be about the same its a totally better sound if that makes sense ? 
to me this is the best way to describe my 1000 compared to the D2000 
its like the 1001 the speakers were set in the room and the sub but never dialed it in and placed the speakers and worked on the correct crossover point for the sub and sub placement and speaker placement but once I did that
smily_headphones1.gif
the sound was like WOW OK this is more what I was hoping for ? 

again hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 21
Thanks Honu, your description of the d2000 has been very helpful. You've definitely convinced me to try out the d2000. I currently really enjoy my d1000, but they arent perfect and has its faults. Another fault besides the uncontrolled bass, is the congested sound. If the d2000 has more air, I would definitely prefer that over the d1000. When I hear headphones with more air, it sounds much more natural and easier to listen to. In my experience, headphones that lack air and are congested, also loses clarity and detail. 

Ever since i've heard about your experience with Hawaiin music, i went out and bought IZ, facing future. it really is a good album that shows off the potential of headphones. I can really hear the details of the strings and quality of the vocals. 

As of now, i'm set on buying the d2000. i just have to wait until amazon has a good deal. just a few days ago, i saw them for $189, and today they are back up to $220. $30 is not too much, but I'm hoping that the price will go back down in a few days. 

Hey Honu, if your headphones sounds this spectacular right now, i wonder how much better it will get once it fully burns in. Some people noted that they sound better after 100 hours. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back