From Classical to Metal
Aug 29, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #61 of 68
Hmmmm. I love classical but couldn't really get into metal. Maybe I should give it another try, as some of you view the two genres as being compatible.

After all, opposites are complimentary.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The other seems to value loudness, vulgarity, coarseness, ugliness...

I'm sorry mbhaub, I don't mean to quote you again. But this is a question to the other metal-heads in this thread; chosen quote being taken here out of context with respect to the rest of the post:

When did the above referenced adjectives attain negative connotations in Metal?

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Personally, I can't see why others do it. So-called "classical" music has a totally different aesthetic value. One favors beauty, balance, proportion, harmony. The other seems to value loudness, vulgarity, coarseness, ugliness. Classical demands high technical skills and years of training to master an instrument. Metal seems to require only the basic skills, a loud amplifier, and the ability to shout rather than sing. Can you tell I loathe metal?
So why the transition? For many musicians, they play to make a living. And let's face it, there's more money in other arenas than classical in today's American "culture". I know many players who take gigs playing country western. A trained violinist can outplay most fiddlers any day. Some do it because they find it fun. This is especially true of drummers. In music written too much before 1900, percussionists don't have a lot to do in symphony concerts, so rock/pop/jazz/metal/country provide an outlet.
Personally, I could never do it. I value my hearing too much to play in any group that requires electonic amplification to be heard. And I have never figured out how any can really enjoy metal. It is so ugly and barbaric. Why not bring some beauty into the world?

I'm late to the part on this one. But whatever.

In regards to the above quote, what metal has he been listening to? I'll give you the loudness, but I'm not sure about the other three. Granted, some of the metal I listen to is laced with vulgarity and could be characterized as coarse or ugly, but I think that's by design. I can't imagine Slayer writing 15 minute Dream Theater-esque epics.

The notion that heavy metal requires little skill is total crap. You must not be hearing the right bands. Listen to Iron Maiden or Dream Theater. Those guys can play. And they're not the only ones.

As far as classical music goes...I love it. Granted, I don't go out of my way to listen to classical but really do like it. I can understand the appeal of metal to classical guys and classical to metal guys. It's not something that I can really explain with words. It's just something you have to experience I guess.

If none of what I've posted makes sense, please keep in mind that I've only been awake for 2 hours and I don't drink coffee.

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

So why the transition? For many musicians, they play to make a living. And let's face it, there's more money in other arenas than classical

Yeah, Thats be my guess. Tolkien probably had to ghost-write romance novels to pay the bills too.
Quote:

And I have never figured out how any can really enjoy metal. It is so ugly and barbaric. Why not bring some beauty into the world?

:looks at CD of Xenakis' Pleides on shelf, quickly looks away:

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #68 of 68
I'm no musician so I'll try to explain in a simplistic manner. Although it is cliche, Bach toccata & fugue seems like metal to me. I could include that in a playlist with several metal tracks and it wouldn't seem out of place for me. Same can be said for many other classical works by Stravinsky, Berlioz, St. Saens, Holst, etc. If these two musical styles could be played together in a playlist and not seem wildly out of place, I think it is not difficult to be aware of the similarities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back