From Classical to Metal
Jul 28, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #46 of 68
Although I'm kinda late into the discussion (curse you three hour disc check!), I'd like to say that I think that some classical musicians move from their first field to metal because its a new medium not unlike classical in which to bring emotion into things. With classical music, I listen and I feel joy, sorrow, anger, love, etc. When people listen to stereotypical metal (names of bands I won't mention out of respect for people's personal music preferences) they hear only anger, or hatred, or angst. But what the classical converts must see is the facets of metal that can be just as complex as any classical symphony. Right now, for example, I'm listening to Comatose Vigil, and I'm feeling a cacophony of emotions. Granted, most of them are depressing. But isn't the point of music to emphasize certain emotions and accent certain moods? To take us to the depths of depression or the heights of bliss? To make us feel unbearable love or uncontrollable hatred? Should music not make us feel each painful, wonderful detail of our very human existence and help us value being alive? I don't know about you, but if I don't get some sort of emotion from the music I'm listening to, its not worth it. For me, that means Pop music in most cases, and maybe the classical musicians to which the OP was referring see it that way too; they feel the emotional connection to the music in Classical music and in Metal as well. I for one think its amazing when a person can evoke such feeling from both genres.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #47 of 68
I don't know that he has ever played "classical" music professionally, but I do know that guitarist Victor Smolski of Rage is classically trained and the son of a composer. Beyond that I'm not aware of any other metal musicians with as close a direct tie to the classical music world, but on the other hand I don't spend a lot of time paying attention to the bios of musicians, save the ones I really, really enjoy.

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #49 of 68
Very interesting and thoughtful post, Nacher. Makes me feel even more ignorant! I particularly agree with what you say about instrumentation defining a genre. Some modern "classical" composers have been experimenting with unusual instrumentation, but I think that if your instruments include synthesizers and tape recorders (for example), you're really talking about a different genre from classical. I mean, if you have electric guitar, bass and drum kit, then whatever you do you'll end up with something in the area of "rock", whereas if you have a saxophone, piano and double-bass, you'll get something which ultimately must be described as "jazz". Some classical fans prefer the term "art music", which just makes me nauseous - as though only their special genre is capable of "art". Maybe that's why some classical musicians go into metal, jazz, or whatever - to get away from the stifling pretentiousness which is unfortunately still a part of the classical "scene", and into an area which rewards virtuosity and artistry but also encourages passion and spontaneity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, Esa-Pekka Salonen, the most famous finnish conductor has said that he listens to metal on regular basis
icon10.gif

And Salonen recently announced he's leaving the LA Philharmonic to devote more time to composition - maybe a concerto for double kick drums and strings is in the offing?

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not a hardcore metal fan or anything, but didnt like 3 members of dream theater go to juilliard? you're saying they dont have talent or skill? I agree that some metal is just noise just like any genre. You're telling me a band like Isis or Pelican has little skill? They create vast landscapes of sound, that are in-one-word...awesome.

no, just jordan rudess. john myung, mike portnoy and john petrucci all went to berkely.

Quote:

I think metal is alot like classical, where the artists can actually compose great pieces of music, that can be whatever they want it to be.

that is a really silly statement.

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #51 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

I think metal is alot like classical, where the artists can actually compose great pieces of music, that can be whatever they want it to be.

that is a really silly statement.

Agreed
blink.gif
What an odd thing to say.

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #52 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I think of classical influences/crossover into Metal, I think of Richie Blackmore, obviously. EVH, and later Randy Rhoads. After that theres a whole bunch of guys.

Before Randy Rhoads died, he told Ozzy that he was done because he wanted to go off and study/perform classical guitar. So, I guess he went from classical to metal to classical. Or that was his plan anyway.

Jul 31, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #54 of 68
listen to mussorgski's 'night on bald mountain' or edvard grieg's 'in the hall of the mountain king' (the whole peer gynt suite actually, even the lyrical parts) or stravinsky's firebird suite or berg or webern or...

wagner would enjoy viking metal, mozart would headbang to power metal, mussorgski would join opeth and i'd really like to get to know the bands that stravinsky would use for his ballets if he was alive today (and if john zorn was unavailable).

i'm not the least surprised by classically trained musicians to take up metal (at least if it's of the scandinavic or experimental variety). if it really is a trend it's a good one.

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #55 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are listening to the wrong metal then...

I could say that all classical is boring and for old rich people, but them I would be making a generalization...

Haha, you sure would. I'm not old (though I feel it!) and I'm definatily not rich, and IMO classical is the pinnacle of music.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He been studying it for a while and the influence is obvious in his playing.

That's how they got the intro to "Diary of a Madman" (the song). Ozzy woke up while Randy was getting a lesson from his classical guitar teacher that traveled with them, and he said I want that in a song.

Judging by the sloppiness of the song "Dee", he definitely needed the serious training of an institution over a tag along classical teacher
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not hard to come up with examples of every kind of move, from Alex Skolnick diving into jazz, or Gothenburg metallers writing pop songs which chart in the US (which has happened, but the guy's name escapes me atm).

Are talking about Anders Fridén (vocalist from In Flames) side-project, Passenger?

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I can't see why others do it. So-called "classical" music has a totally different aesthetic value. One favors beauty, balance, proportion, harmony. The other seems to value loudness, vulgarity, coarseness, ugliness. Classical demands high technical skills and years of training to master an instrument. Metal seems to require only the basic skills, a loud amplifier, and the ability to shout rather than sing. Can you tell I loathe metal?
So why the transition? For many musicians, they play to make a living. And let's face it, there's more money in other arenas than classical in today's American "culture". I know many players who take gigs playing country western. A trained violinist can outplay most fiddlers any day. Some do it because they find it fun. This is especially true of drummers. In music written too much before 1900, percussionists don't have a lot to do in symphony concerts, so rock/pop/jazz/metal/country provide an outlet.
Personally, I could never do it. I value my hearing too much to play in any group that requires electonic amplification to be heard. And I have never figured out how any can really enjoy metal. It is so ugly and barbaric. Why not bring some beauty into the world?

You're brave! But at least being honest with your feelings. I know my wife can't understand why I listen to some of the "metal" music I listen to. Hell, this has been going on almost my whole life since my friend turned me onto classical music back in High School. At that point, I was a serious metal head. People couldn't understand how I could listen to both.. my only answer is, I find beauty in both types of music. I don't think you can objectify "beauty" - hell I even took a course in Asthetics in college and we wrestled with the concept all semester. I can't say it's the same "beauty" that I find in both Mastodon and Mahler, but they both connect to my "musical brain" and they both make that part of my brain very happy. I don't know if I really feel the need to explain that any more. Botch and Brahms. Slayer and Sibelius. Happy me.

As for classical musicians going metal? I don't know really. I have a feeling that there are thousands of classically trained musicians making money outside of their "trained" area.. maybe the ones who do metal are just more visible than the others? I had a friend in college.. classically trained.. but she could fiddle the bluegrass like you wouldn't believe.. I think once you've mastered the Paganinis and Halvorsens, it's fairly easy to venture outside the world of serious music.

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back