Friday the 13th...
Aug 13, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #31 of 41
its Friday the 13th again.

Olympic opening ceremonies are on today.
Is Friday 13th considered lucky in [parts of] Europe?

triskaidekaphobia anyone??
...avoid walking under a black cat with an open umbrella today.

Aug 13, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #32 of 41
1,121 posts later....
eek.gif

Besides the Olympic opening ceremonies there isn't much happening today.
plainface.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #33 of 41
Woke up to discover that all the computers in my apt (6 of them) have either shut down or restarted due to (what I assume is) a power outage. One of them (one of mine) now refuses to boot, so I'm probably looking at a blown PSU or a dead motherboard...

Not a good start to the day, no...

~KS

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #34 of 41
[size=x-large]HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13th ! ! ![/size]
I can't believe I was sitting here as this glorious day started and didn't notice it until just a few minutes ago.
This is my lucky day, and I am really looking forward to the rest of the day.
icon10.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
I dunno, I'm not supersticious...I just don't believe in this stuff. Nevertheless, ever since I got up this morning, it's been one thing after another. I mean coffee maker problems, tooth ache problems, computer problems...

I could go on and on.

I'm sorta embarrassed that I posted this, however, I'm also glad this day is winding down.

eek.gif

your day is just winding down!?!? its just starting for me~!
frown.gif
and just to add to this my cell # has 666 in it....

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
1,121 posts later....
eek.gif

Besides the Olympic opening ceremonies there isn't much happening today.
plainface.gif

Dude! not true!

one of the larger morotcycle conventions/parties happens EVERY friday the 13th. Be it august or february. Anywhere from 50,000 to a couple hundred thousand people on bikes descend on Port Dover and just live it up.

Great party.
http://www.pd13.com/

Aug 14, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #38 of 41
Think about folks over in Florida. They probably remember this Friday the 13th for the rest of their life. Charley is one big messy huricane.

Aug 14, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #39 of 41
Last night at the sit-down restaurant I work at (see my profile) we had a major disaster that tops everything else this place has ever experienced (and we've had some pretty screwed up nights).

It all started when the ventilation hoods in the kitchen broke down at around 7:00 PM (local time). Our kitchen is poorly ventilated so when the exhaust vents go down it gets VERY hot, especially by the deep fryer crammed in the corner. My manager set up two fans to exhaust the smokey, hot air out the back door and announced that we were not going to be taking any more orders for hot food, but that we would fill orders that had already been placed. Five minutes later the HVAC guy arrives and says he can fix the vents and my manager tells the waitresses to start taking orders as usual again.

About another five minutes later the fire alarm goes off and I head back to the kitchen to see the sprinkler over the deep fryer spraying the whole kitchen, including all the food and equipment in it, with rusty water. The water rises a few inches and floods the whole kitchen, and it also causes the deep fryer to OVERFLOW turning the rusty water into greasy, rusty water. By this point the water has started to flow into the eating area but a quick barracade of cloth napkins and aprins stops that.

The cooks and my manager in the back get a system going where they push the water from the kitchen into the back area where the dishwasher is (that has a big floor drain). Unfortunately, we also discover the floor drain leaks into the basement so now the basement (where we keep about 1/2 of our food and all of our napkins, spare glasses, and other "dry storage" items) was flooded with all this greasy disgusing rusty water. Also, the entrance to our walk-in freezer/refridgerator (where we keep the other 1/2 of our food) is right on the 90 degree turn from the kitchen to the dishwashing area so that also got a few inches of water.

The fire department arrives about five minutes later and they turn the valve that turns off the sprinklers... but it doesn't work. It took them about two or three more minutes to finally get the water turned off.

In the twenty minutes after the fire alarm went off the entire restaurant (which holds about 130 people when full, which it was that night) emptied out (except for one table of two who were celebrating their wedding anniversery and some people at the bar). The other busser on that night also bought some new shoes and decided to wear them to work last night, unfortunately he ended up pushing water in the kitchen so his new shoes got soaked with greasy water, ruining them.

After I had finished setting up the tables in the front room for the next day's lunch (we were assuming we'd be open for business, at the very least serving cold sandwhiches and having our sandwhich bar) I left, however my mom and dad went back for a drink (they haven't had a chance to do any social drinking all summer so this was a good opertunity) and apparently my manager ended up mopping for the next three hours trying to clean up the floors in the kitchen. I'm schedualed to work again tonight so I guess I'll see what has happened.

EDIT: This is oddly my 777th post.

Aug 15, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #40 of 41
Wow man, I feel for you in those situations. I've never had anything like that happen to me (knock on wood, w1000 wood) with such an awful domino effect such as that. Just be thankful you're not the owner of that business, because if he wants any part of that 130 people to ever come back, he's gonna need to do some work (rusty sprinkler water? eep).

On a different note, my birthday is the 13th. I turned 16, and it was an average b-day. Unfortunately, we are in the process of moving and money's tight, because our landlord told us that he wanted us out by the end of our lease (which is in December), and we didn't want to move in the winter (which is pure hell), but we then find out his wife is the real owner and he was new to the whole process. She's got more balls than him. She explains that he's totally wrong and that we can stay till this time next year. This of course, is after we've already made agreements with another guy and his place. He used to be big time political, so we don't want to disappoint. The place we are currently in is killing us literallly, with the mildew and mold growing under a tarp we placed in the basement to protect our stuff from the water that 'ponds' after 5 minutes of rain. I can't and don't want to invite my friends over because of the awful smell of old water and the then amplified cat litter stank. Anyways, we're outta here by the end of the month. We can't stay here till next year. We'll be dead by then.

You think you have a bad DAY? I get bad YEARS (make that TWO, now, with other things that led to this).

Aug 15, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #41 of 41
I didn't even know it was friday the 13th until it past. Then I read that my previous employer just laid off 65 mid to lower level employees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back