Fresh meat, looking for subbass-y over ear headphones
Sep 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Brockavich

New Head-Fier
Hello. Newbie to the forums here, but not the site. I've been around the net for the past few weeks doing research on a new pair of headphones, and head-fi has consistently been a great source of info :D

Anyway, I've tried my damnedest, but I've been overwhelmed in my research. I've found it difficult to find the right pair due to the fact that how a headphone "sounds" is completely subjective, and if you're buying online like myself, you can't try before you buy. Anyway, I'll do my best to describe the kinds of things I'm seeking, and literally any and all suggestions I'll value greatly.

What I listen to:
I listen primarily to bass-focused electronic music like Jungle, DnB, and Dubstep. Keep in mind when I say dubstep I mean traditional, actual dubstep (with a focus on deep, powerful, rumbling lows, that comprise a good majority of the track). Not modern "dubstep" that most kids listen to that sounds like a dying electronic pig or decepticon rape, that focuses almost entirely on mid-bass and screeching electronic sounds.

Sound goal:
Now, as I'm sure you gathered from the title, my primary focus is on subbass and extreme low freqs. At the same time, while I'm not a hardcore audiophile, I don't enjoy ****ty sounding common headphones that muddy the sound too much, or completely overpower the mids/highs with bass. Again, though, primary focus is bass, specifically subbass (<20Hz).

Misc:
I'm a university student, as such I'm out of the house 80% of the time, and usually get around via bus. Therefore, noise cancellation is the 2nd biggest priority, both cancelling outside noise from getting in, and not annoying those around me with my music. I'd prefer non-active noise cancelling, but either's fine. As well, they've gotta be over ear cans, preferably with good padding (this kinda goes hand in hand with noise cancellation).
Pricewise, seeing as this is my first buy, I'd prefer something between $100-$200.

A few candidates I've looked up already were the Ultrasone HFI-580s, Vmoda M80s, and AKG K181s, based on dozens of threads I've been reading up on here, and video reviews.

tl;dr priorities list:
1. Over ear
2. Lots of bass (particularly subbass)
3. Good noise cancellation (preferably non-active)
4. Cushy/comfortable
5. $100-$200

Again, thanks if you take a few moments to pop off a few suggestions, folks.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 9
1. Dubstep is defined as a two-step beat structure with dub influences. Yes, it started out without the screeching and chirping and other strange robot sex noises, but it doesn't change the fact that it is all still dubstep (based on the definition). At least it's better than calling DnB "dubstep". Don't get me wrong though, people throw that word around to describe nearly every genre of EDM, so I get where you are coming from
wink.gif

2. V-Moda M-80's are not over ear headphones

3. Get the M-Audio Q-40's and the Shure 840 pads with them. These headphones are amazing bass headphones and only cost $99 straight from the M-Audio website. I find that they sound very similar (signature and clarity wise) to the Philips X1's with the main difference being that the X1's are an open headphone (better soundstage, air, etc.). What I'm getting at is that these perform way above their price point. Definitely look into them!

M-Audio Q40: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileQ40.html

Shure 840 pads: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC840-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZS/

Q40 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/275459/m-audio-q40-impressions-long-w-pics

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 9
I know it's still technically dubstep, but when it sounds so incredibly, drastically different than the original style of the genre, well... I guess that's why a lot of folks call it brostep, heh. But yeah, it irks me a little too, when they act and talk like they know what they're talking about. Offtopic, and not a big deal :p

Anyway, those sound great. I'm not a particularly huge fan of highs, either.

How easy is it to swap pads, though?

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Trust me, I'm a big fan of genre labeling just because I think it's fun. I gotta say though, brostep is a pretty great description for most of that junk!
tongue.gif

Glad to hear you aren't a big fan of highs. The highs on the Q40's are there and they provide the detail that you are going to want but they are the weakness on this headphone. The bass and mids are awesome.

The pads are very easy to swap out. In fact, if you go through the thread I posted, you'll find that a lot of users have tried a number of different pads. The Shure 840 pads are my recommendation for a couple reasons. The bass is maintained and is still great, the highs are not fatiguing at all with these pads, and most importantly the comfort is much better. The stock pads are very thin and the tight clamp of the headband makes them uncomfortable (to me -- other users have no problem). Also, since the 840 pads are oval shaped instead of circular, they are a better form factor for your ear. You will get a better seal with these pads.

The best thing about these is that they are cheap enough that you can easily fit a couple pairs of different pads in the budget and find which pair you like most. The Beyerdynamic DT770 pads fit perfectly and they crank up the bass immensely (if that's even possible) but the mids are greatly recessed with these pads. I have tried the DT770 pads, HiFiMan velour and pleather pads, Shure 840 pads, Mad Dog Alpha Pads, and stock pads. Feel free to send me a PM with specific pad questions if you do decide to go with the Q40's.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 9
  1. Dubstep is defined as a two-step beat structure with dub influences. Yes, it started out without the screeching and chirping and other strange robot sex noises, but it doesn't change the fact that it is all still dubstep (based on the definition). At least it's better than calling DnB "dubstep". Don't get me wrong though, people throw that word around to describe nearly every genre of EDM, so I get where you are coming from
wink.gif

2. V-Moda M-80's are not over ear headphones

3. Get the M-Audio Q-40's and the Shure 840 pads with them. These headphones are amazing bass headphones and only cost $99 straight from the M-Audio website. I find that they sound very similar (signature and clarity wise) to the Philips X1's with the main difference being that the X1's are an open headphone (better soundstage, air, etc.). What I'm getting at is that these perform way above their price point. Definitely look into them!

M-Audio Q40: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileQ40.html

Shure 840 pads: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC840-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZS/

Q40 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/275459/m-audio-q40-impressions-long-w-pics

Ditto on the Q40 with aftermarket pads.  Which ones depends on your total budget.  If you can spend the full $200, get the Q40 and Mr Speakers Alpha pads and live the dream..................otherwise Shure 840's are a great option.  Well done Thujone. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 9
  Ditto on the Q40 with aftermarket pads.  Which ones depends on your total budget.  If you can spend the full $200, get the Q40 and Mr Speakers Alpha pads and live the dream..................otherwise Shure 840's are a great option.  Well done Thujone.

Definitely get the Alpha pads if you are interested in having a more v-shaped signature with some really sparkly highs (which can be EQ'd away if you don't like them) and huuuuuge bass. Plus the comfort with the Alphas is by far the best, no question. The only downside is they cost more than half as much as the headphone 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back