Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Aug 20, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #125 of 388
It is a DIY amplifier. It will sound as good as you make it. If you mean how good it is in stock, I yet to find out. It's still in transit.

Yeah, i mean stock version, i think its difficult to beat the opa627 and buf634, perhaps with a muse01 or 02...

Im looking something to replace my Portaphile, which has a smililar configuration 3 opa627 and 6 buf634, the sound quality is great but the 4 hours of battery is a pain for me...

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #127 of 388
I have a P5 here now. My impression so far is that this is a top desktop amp in a portable package. I am running the buf634 in wide bandwidth and the opa627. I tried the transistor buffers that are supplied but prefer the buf634. Amazing what they have done. Looking inside is cool, all milled aluminum, no stamped out or extruded case on the P5 or PS and the fit and finish are the best I have seen and is as good as any high quality German or Swiss instruments. It has to be seen to be believed and then the sound. . . too cool. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #128 of 388
  I have a P5 here now. My impression so far is that this is a top desktop amp in a portable package. I am running the buf634 in wide bandwidth and the opa627. I tried the transistor buffers that are supplied but prefer the buf634. Amazing what they have done. Looking inside is cool, all milled aluminum, no stamped out or extruded case on the P5 or PS and the fit and finish are the best I have seen and is as good as any high quality German or Swiss instruments. It has to be seen to be believed and then the sound. . . too cool. 

Thoughts on how they compare to other top tier portable amps like the ones from RSA, vorzuge, or ALO or cypher labs?

And overall sound signature?

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #129 of 388

Thoughts on how they compare to other top tier portable amps like the ones from RSA, vorzuge, or ALO or cypher labs?

And overall sound signature?

It is competing with the micro Zotl and the Mojo V ps! The sound signature changes with the buffers and op amps used. The circuit seems totally neutral to me. I hear changes so easily to the sound it is astounding. It doesn't sound like a portable. 

I haven't tried it yet but you can use the opa627 in the ground circuit. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #130 of 388

It is competing with the micro Zotl and the Mojo V ps! The sound signature changes with the buffers and op amps used. The circuit seems totally neutral to me. I hear changes so easily to the sound it is astounding. It doesn't sound like a portable. 

I haven't tried it yet but you can use the opa627 in the ground circuit. 

oh boy... is it time for us to jump on the hype train...

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #131 of 388

oh boy... is it time for us to jump on the hype train...

Hype tends to have a negative connotation. I think once heard, with a good source, there will be a lot of agreement to the quality of the sound being heard. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #132 of 388

Using the discrete buffers that come with the P5. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #133 of 388
This thing look crazy. IBasso couldn't conform if I can use a pair of opa627sm, I look forward to seen some kind Samaritan trying it out.

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #134 of 388
This thing look crazy. IBasso couldn't conform if I can use a pair of opa627sm, I look forward to seen some kind Samaritan trying it out.

Sure it would work. Just have the pin out correct. I use a couple of different types of op amps in cans and have them in a bracket so the legs are set up correct to go into he socket. It is easy. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #135 of 388

The first thing I'm going to do when I get a P5 is going to be all out metal can just for bragging rights, will probably be:

Amp: 2xOPA627SM
Buffer: 2xOPA637SM
Ground: 2xBUF03AJ or HA2-5002-2 if I can find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back