Free power cord (too good to be true)?
Nov 2, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #226 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You knew you'd be revealed one day. You just got too confident and careless in the last few months.
wink.gif

Man, and I thought the Headphoneous Supremus title was gonna be a good cover up.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #227 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone gotten their cable yet?

Mine has been in the post office since yesterday. I won't be able to pick it up till tomorrow.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #228 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......then the studies are wrong. ..A $200 100 WPC Sony is not going to sound better than a 100 WPC Rotel/NAD/Carver or any well built amp.

This is the study that Philodox alluded to...

http://bruce.coppola.name/audio/Amp_Sound.pdf

It is an interesting read and it is worth reading the whole article. This does not mean that all amps do sound the same but it provides a data point that indicates that for these 25 (experienced)listeners in this set of conditions, two amps of very different design and price may be indistinguishable.

Other blind tests may show different results, that is why blind tests are useful since they remove the "everybody knows" or the "I know my two amps sound different" from the equation.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #229 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the study that Philodox alluded to...

Thanks for linking that. It was a good read, even though I don't agree with it.
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #230 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone gotten their cable yet?

I got mine Wednesday evening; I had to flip over my outlet (ground pin down) in order to plug in that beast, plus support it underneath in order to avoid it pulling itself out of my CD player's jack due to its massive weight! Then I started burning it in over the last couple days. I'm fighting procrastination and cramming to write a paper due this Monday, so I'm not able to write lengthy impressions right now, or at least I shouldn't get too carried away. But I probably will anyways... Suffice it to say that I was skeptical, but the improvement is not subtle. I replaced a generic 18 guage computer powercord that I had been using with my Eastsound CD player, which to date I have been pleased with. The differences are really apparent. I would characterize what I am hearing as:

1) I suppose this would be called 'blacker background'. I experience it as improved separation and an ability to hear minute sounds deep in the mix without focusing as intently as I had to before. Instruments seem to just appear out of nowhere, and disappear again. It's strange, because I thought I had a fairly 'black background' before, but again, this is not a subtle difference - it's readily apparent.

2) Improved dynamics, speed and attack. The leading edge of notes are better delineated, kicks and snares especially have stronger impact and sound more realistic. This is immensely satisfying!

3) More bass quantity and extension. On certain tracks I'm almost in disbelief at the monster bass I'm getting, and not at the expense of anything else. But this isn't a flabby, uncontrolled bass; it's highly detailed. Again, very satisfying!

The combination of the above tend to create a more organic, realistic, musical sound, with an amazing feeling of effortlessly picking out any part of the mix and listening to it... a very, very fun experience.

Also, I would say that this cable has tamed or smoothed my high end a bit. This is just what my RS-1's needed - they are sounding just awesome. With the 650's, I don't like this effect as much; it makes them sound a little too bass heavy, not as sparkly and detailed as they used to (or at least, this is my initial impression). Overall, I don't mind however, as I've been gravitating towards the RS-1's anyways... (but that's another story). I think that if you're looking for a bright setup, this might not be the best cable for that purpose, but again, these are just my initial thoughts, so I wouldn't put too much stock in them.

To qualify these observations, I might mention that I've read before that my Eastsound is quite dependent on a decent power cable. Perhaps these rather significant improvements reflect the woeful inadequacy of the cheapo cord I was using before. In any case, I must say that I'm very, very pleased, and was not expecting differences of this magnitude.

To those who doubt that power cables matter, I'd just advise to try them out for yourselves. I have never tried a fancy power cable before, was pretty skeptical, and also didn't pay anything for this so I don't think there's much of a buyer's placebo effect going on. I'm pretty surprised at the differences I've experienced, and I feel pretty darn lucky to have had the chance, thanks to those kind folks at Virtual Dynamics!

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #232 of 433
Mine coming on Nov 6...I dont expect much but who knows.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #234 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Power cord BURIN-IN!

Priceless.

What's a 'burin'?
confused.gif

Oh, excuse my ignorance, I think I've figured it out:

In lithic reduction, a burin is a special type of lithic flake with a chisel-like edge which prehistoric humans may have used for engraving or for carving wood or bone. Burins exhibit a feature called a "burin spall", in which toolmakers strike a small flake obliquely from the edge of the burin flake in order to form the graving edge. Burin usage is diagnostic of Upper Palaeolithic cultures in Europe, but archaeologists have also identified it in North American cultural assemblages, and in his book Early Man in China Prof. Dr. Jia Lanpo of Beijing University lists dihedral burins and burins for truncation among artifacts uncovered along the banks of the Liyigon river near Xujiayao.

In the Clavicula Salomonus, a 16th century grimoire, a burin is one of many consecrated instruments.

I'm still slightly confused, though - did you think I was engraving my new power cable with prehistoric symbols, or rather that I was enjoying my new cable while listening to 16th century consecrated instruments? I assure you that neither was the case; perhaps you should read my impressions more carefully?

Seriously though, I fail to understand the import of your attempt at ridicule. If you're implying that my objectivity lacks because I 'believe in burn-in' from the outset, I would suggest to you that the best way of assessing a claim is by following its instructions. If 'burn-in' is said to matter, why would I not proceed to 'burn-in' my new cable? Surely this is the fairest way to assess the claim. If I brought the cable in from the cold, plugged it in and immediately disliked its effect, surely a 'believer' would then tell me I did not properly follow the suggested method, no?

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #235 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Power cord BURIN-IN!

Priceless.

If you don't know what is best for this community, I suggest you stop posting in these types of topics.

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #238 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyRx7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously though, I fail to understand the import of your attempt at ridicule. If you're implying that my objectivity lacks because I 'believe in burn-in' from the outset, I would suggest to you that the best way of assessing a claim is by following its instructions. If 'burn-in' is said to matter, why would I not proceed to 'burn-in' my new cable? Surely this is the fairest way to assess the claim. If I brought the cable in from the cold, plugged it in and immediately disliked its effect, surely a 'believer' would then tell me I did not properly follow the suggested method, no?

I do not share Xenu's views about cables as far as him saying they make no difference in sound, but burn in with cables yeah I have to agree with him there. Amps in my experience tend to improve in sound quality after a good amount of use especially with bass. Drivers and cables on the other hand I disagree with the burn in theory. I have yet to hear imprved sound from a headphone after using for a long period. My HD580s sound no better than the day i bought them and they probably have 1200 hours of use the first cable i had for them lasted about the first 600 hours before it started to short out and then I bought a replacement and BAM it sounded the same nothing seemed held back to what I was used to and this is why I doubt burn in with drivers and cables.

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #239 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems a little overboard, given the post history and registration dates of some of the people who have recommended the cables.

i didnt name any names, and i didnt specify how many (especially the words "all" or "everyone"), but any low post members in the future talking about virtual dynamic should be taken with a grain of salt (or NONE for that matter).

im not going to go back in the thread looking for low post count people saying good things about virtual dynamics, im just trying to put some weight to the situation that virtual dynamics isnt above posing as members on message boards hyping their own cables.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #240 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not share Xenu's views about cables as far as him saying they make no difference in sound, but burn in with cables yeah I have to agree with him there. Amps in my experience tend to improve in sound quality after a good amount of use especially with bass. Drivers and cables on the other hand I disagree with the burn in theory. I have yet to hear imprved sound from a headphone after using for a long period. My HD580s sound no better than the day i bought them and they probably have 1200 hours of use the first cable i had for them lasted about the first 600 hours before it started to short out and then I bought a replacement and BAM it sounded the same nothing seemed held back to what I was used to and this is why I doubt burn in with drivers and cables.

The problem with this 'personal experience' argument, when deployed as an objective contention (i.e. you 'disagree' with the theory), is that someone else can, and many do in fact, feel that their 'personal experience' indicates the opposite conclusion of your 'personal experience'. At that point, there is no resolution beyond comparing the legitimacy of member x's subjective experience vs. member y's subjective experience. So for example, if I have noticed significant differences in headphones, in particular my old SR-80's, over time, are you telling me my experience is less legitimate than yours? I, for one, will not tell you that your experiences are 'wrong' - they're just different than mine, and this difference could be a result of myriad factors (i.e. the headphones we used were different, our systems are different in important respects, we hear differently, we listen differently, etc.) There is no reason to deride another's experience because yours is different.

Perhaps this is why people get so worked up over these arguments - they essentially boil down to certain members telling other members their experiences are worthless and ignorant, which is basically a personal insult and shows a fundamental lack of respect for what others have to contribute to a (in the ideal world) constructive discussion. The respectful thing to do would be to share your thoughts and personal experience, by all means, but refrain from at the same time telling others theirs must be wrongheaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back