Free power cord (too good to be true)?
Dec 5, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #376 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope you realize that many fancy RCA connectors and the likes, you can actually find the unbranded versions from the manufacturers.

Please tell me where to find a 1m Cardas Golden Reference that is unbranded. I'd love to save the dough. Thanks!
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #377 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of volume do you think a dealer can afford to order from a 10,000 or a 50,000 CDP player, maybe one or two, and period, what kind of discount they can receive based on two units??? BTW high end audio usually do not have too middlemen involved in the process, and it is usually a manufacturer/dealer relationship and period...maybe a distributor if in another country, and that's it...

Sound by Singer Experts in the world of High End Audio and Video

have you ever been there? it's in your neighborhood.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #378 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please tell me where to find a 1m Cardas Golden Reference that is unbranded. I'd love to save the dough. Thanks!
wink.gif

Maybe your a bit slow, or trying to seem that way.

But I said all they do is ASSEMBLE the components together.

Your implying that I said they just rebrand other products, in this case a whole interconnect. Which I did not say.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #379 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe your a bit slow, or trying to seem that way.

But I said all they do is ASSEMBLE the components together.

Your implying that I said they just rebrand other products, in this case a whole interconnect. Which I did not say.

well then, more specifically: can you please show me where to buy:

a set of 4 RCA's that Cardas rebrands and uses with their Golden Reference IC's.

2 meters of cable which Cardas rebrands and uses with thier Golden Reference IC's.

You could probably call up Cardas and ask them where they are sourcing their unbranded RCA's and cable from.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #380 of 433
LOL yota I know how you feel.

And, I wonder which store has higher mark ups... Bob's Shaver Emporium or Definitive Sound Enchantment.

In high end stores such as Sound by Singer...

Speakers generally have 35-60 points.
Sources generally 25-50 points.
Amps generally 25-40 points.
Cables generally 75-120 points.

I don't know the points for electric shavers but Fry's Electronics, where I bought my last shaver, probably has less points. But, lets not talk about electric shavers. I bet Gillette replacement blades have the highest mark ups of all.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #381 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by viggen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know the points for electric shavers but Fry's Electronics, where I bought my last shaver, probably has less points. But, lets not talk about electric shavers. I bet Gillette replacement blades have the highest mark ups of all.

Tell me about it. The Sensor Excel was the best one they ever made. I typically like to buy them at Costco because they are almost half the price of the supermarkets. At Costco you get 20 blades for about $20, but in the market you get 10 blades for about the same price.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #382 of 433
Show me AMP A is better to AMP B with his technical sheet ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Show me some signal tests taken from the output jack of the source and then again at the end of the cable length.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #383 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me about it. The Sensor Excel was the best one they ever made. I typically like to buy them at Costco because they are almost half the price of the supermarkets. At Costco you get 20 blades for about $20, but in the market you get 10 blades for about the same price.

Sensor excel was not an electric shaver the last time I checked....
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #384 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sensor excel was not an electric shaver the last time I checked....
tongue.gif

Nope, it's not.
tongue.gif
But electric shavers suck.

And did you know there's an entire forum that looks exactly like Head-Fi called "Badger And Blade" completely devoted to wet shaving? I came across it one day.

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #385 of 433
I bought a Norelco and used it for 10 years with no problemo until it fell apart last year. I bought another Norelco last year, and the damn thing is twice as expensive, shaves only half as well, and it broke after a month. I then bought a Braun, and the damn thing is loud and practically gave my wrist carpal tunnel because it vibrates like a MF. I returned it. I am using CVS brand replaceable blade shavers now.

I saw Corey Greenberg pitching some nice old fashion razor blade shavers on NBC some years ago. I think it's something I might get into if I weren't so scared of sharp objects.

700_002.jpg

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #388 of 433
Quote:

The fact is that no amount of overhead (unless you do your manufacturing in the Taj Mahal) will ever justify a $13,000 cable. It is purely a boutique item. If what you said were true, why isn't Monster Cable charging several thousand per meter?

Volume. Obviously, if you sell cables in the tens of thousands per month (and build them in China), rather than thousands per month, you can get by with lower margin. A boutique outfit like VD sells far fewer so there is obviously a need for more margin on each cable.

There's another aspect of "value" that people always forget. I can be walking along a riverbank, bend down and pick up a gold nugget. What did it cost me "make" this product? Nothing. What is it? It's just a lump of metal, serves no inherent function other than it's shiny and hypnotizes women.
tongue.gif
So, should I be stoned in the public square for expecting full market value for it? Of course not.

Without regard to what the VD cables actually cost to make (plus all their fixed costs for operating a business), in the marketplace of cables in general (with whom all the same people who are so upset in this thread will also have to have a problem, not just VD), they are a tremendous value. People like me wouldn't keep going back, if they didn't feel the benefits they get from them weren't worth the asking price. Invent a better mouse trap, and you can charge more than the next guy because it's more effective and offers better performance.

How much do you think it costs Sennheiser to build a HD650 (forgetting about fixed costs as everyone here seems to like to do)? It's a hunk of plastic and some velour. $40? You know it's probably less than that? Where's the outrage there?

These criticisms of cables and cable builders also always seem to come fromh people who have lower-end systems that would hardly benefit from a cable swap in the first place. You have to realize that there are people out there with systems for whom a $1000 cable is in proportion to the rest of their gear. It may be outrageous on your little DAC and credit card sized amp, but not in theirs. You are sneering at products not made for you or your system and that would be ridiculous if you put them in there.

If all there were was $100 sound cards and $100 amps, then hell ya, $1000 exotic cables would be absurd.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #389 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These criticisms of cables and cable builders also always seem to come fromh people who have lower-end systems that would hardly benefit from a cable swap in the first place. You have to realize that there are people out there with systems for whom a $1000 cable is in proportion to the rest of their gear. It may be outrageous on your little DAC and credit card sized amp, but not in theirs. You are sneering at products not made for you or your system and that would be ridiculous if you put them in there.

If all there were was $100 sound cards and $100 amps, then hell ya, $1000 exotic cables would be absurd.

HERE HERE!!!

This specific forum is getting absurd with regards to know-it-all skeptics thread crapping on a regular basis. The amount of USEFUL and PERTINENT information about the benefits and shortfalls of cables and other tweaks for those who feel confident that they have HEARD differences is dwindling because of it. Live and let live, from both sides of the debate! I suggest to those that believe that cables make no audible difference, that racks and vibration control devices are worthless, that ANYTHING outside the tiny sphere of existence encompassing a couple headphones, a sound card or two and possibly an amplifier are utterly non-sensical, TAKE OFF YOUR HEADPHONES, meet some new people, and perhaps TRY some different equipment with an open mind.

Science is NOT a collection of truths. Science is a means to test theories that attempt explain the natural world around us. These skeptical, troglodytic tendencies which hide behind a wall of impenetrable scientific "proof" are laughable! Y'all need to get out a little bit, and smell the roses!

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #390 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2. i said the same a few pages ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back