Free power cord (too good to be true)?
Dec 5, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #391 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much do you think it costs Sennheiser to build a HD650 (forgetting about fixed costs as everyone here seems to like to do)? It's a hunk of plastic and some velour. $40? You know it's probably less than that? Where's the outrage there?

To be fair, there has always been 'discussions' about Grado's pricing structures, so there is outrage when we feel that a headphone company is suckering us. And however you look at it, a headphone is more complex and harder to make than power cords, I'm pretty sure that Sennheiser makes less profit on the $300 HD650 than VD makes on the $300 power cord.

Quote:

These criticisms of cables and cable builders also always seem to come fromh people who have lower-end systems that would hardly benefit from a cable swap in the first place.

Classic.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #392 of 433
Quote:

How much do you think it costs Sennheiser to build a HD650 (forgetting about fixed costs as everyone here seems to like to do)? It's a hunk of plastic and some velour. $40? You know it's probably less than that? Where's the outrage there?

Far more than a power cable for sure...and the benefits you get from going from an stock earbud to the HD650, are far more noticeable that while you go from stock cable to a boutique cable (if in this case there is any)...

Quote:

These criticisms of cables and cable builders also always seem to come fromh people who have lower-end systems that would hardly benefit from a cable swap in the first place. You have to realize that there are people out there with systems for whom a $1000 cable is in proportion to the rest of their gear. It may be outrageous on your little DAC and credit card sized amp, but not in theirs. You are sneering at products not made for you or your system and that would be ridiculous if you put them in there.

Not always, but if you simply think a little bit, if changing a power cable would make a difference in the power supply that will feed any equipment at all, then the worst the PSU is, the more prone to get benefits from it, don't you think, as the filtering is worst? So paradoxically there is a contradiction here. Also think that there are hundreds of equipments non audio related in which the performance of the PSU, and the AC noise, are far more critical and will indeed make a difference, and you can ask to see if the way to eliminate them is just changing the power cord, that will be ideal, as a power cord will be cheaper than any good design on a more complicated PSU, but this is not the way, simple as that...

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #393 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Far more than a power cable for sure...

Please provide some empirical data to back up this claim! Or are you just guessing? Have you made any cables lately? Have you priced copper? UPOCC? What about silver? 4N, 6N?? What about some Oyaide ends? How much are those?

Do you happen to know the total cost in parts of a pair of Senn 650's?

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #394 of 433
Yah I think he got us there. Because you have a more dramatic change when upgrading from earbuds to HD650s than going from stock powercords to aftermarket ones, aftermarket powercords are a sham.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #395 of 433
Quote:

You are sneering at products not made for you or your system and that would be ridiculous if you put them in there.

Obviously you haven't read my posts or you wouldn't have made a comment about a "credit card sized amp." I haven't used a portable system in quite some time. And if I didn't think a cable upgrade would make a difference, I wouldn't have just purchased one. But there is a certain point at which the benefits will never justify the asking price. And in this instance, the asking price is absurd and the company is scamming people.

I know cables make a difference. I have continually said they do. But we are not talking about a $100 cable or even a $1000 cable as you just posted. We were talking about a $13,000 cable. If you truly believe that a $13,000 cable will sound that much better than a well built $500 cable from a company who doesn't feel a need to give someone the shaft, then by all means waste your money. I couldn't ever see justifying that kind of price difference for extremely minimal sonic differences no matter how wealthy I was. Like I said before, I would rather put all the components in one box and hardwire them together. It would sound even better and cost a whole lot less.

I guess the difference between you and I is that I will never feel a need to flaunt a boutique cable to my friends. In most circles, people wouldn't be impressed that you spent $13,000 on a cable -- they would think you ought to be locked up in a straight jacket.

Anyway, my neighbor is going to be lending me a $600 digital cable tonight or tomorrow. I am going to compare it to my new $55 cable and post my honest impressions. I was completely shocked at how much impact my $55 cable had over my $5 cable, not expecting to hear any audible differences in a digital cable. So it would be ignorant for me to say I won't hear any benefits from a $600 cable over my $55 one. But if I don't, it will prove that good companies like Cobalt can produce just as good a product for a lot less, although I'm sure some will just say "your equipment isn't good enough so you won't hear a difference," which of course is just a way for them to justify their $13,000 cable purchase. If a product is better, you will be able to hear the difference in any chain, even if source A isn't as good as source B. I have listened to quite a few high-end speaker systems to know this.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #397 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be more positive :

I have in order 2 x Master 3 and 1 x Nite 3 power cord for all my gear (CD, DAC and amp).

What you have in order ?

that's a whole lotta virtual dynamic. i guess the power3 really made an impression on you.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #398 of 433
QUOTE=yotacowboy;3471280]Please provide some empirical data to back up this claim! Or are you just guessing? Have you made any cables lately? Have you priced copper? UPOCC? What about silver? 4N, 6N?? What about some Oyaide ends? How much are those?

Do you happen to know the total cost in parts of a pair of Senn 650's?[/QUOTE]

Seriously?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #399 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QUOTE=yotacowboy;3471280]Please provide some empirical data to back up this claim! Or are you just guessing? Have you made any cables lately? Have you priced copper? UPOCC? What about silver? 4N, 6N?? What about some Oyaide ends? How much are those?

Do you happen to know the total cost in parts of a pair of Senn 650's?

Seriously?
rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]

well, yeah, he said he knew that the cost of power cords were less than the cost of an HD650. what can i say... I'm skeptical of his opinion!

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #400 of 433
Quote:

I guess the difference between you and I is that I will never feel a need to flaunt a boutique cable to my friends.

Yes, I like to flaunt my VD Nite 3.0 power cord down at the club. I wrap it around my neck like a silver python. All the chicks flock to me because they knows I got mad bling bling.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #402 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omg I need to try that!!! thanks man and i will send you pics of the after party!!!

as long as you take some measurements, and provide some objective feedback...

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #403 of 433
anyone else going to take advantage of the 50 percent off offer from virtual dynamics. it ends the 21st of this month.

i need a new pair of RCAs, so i am thinking about getting something.

Dec 12, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #404 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone else going to take advantage of the 50 percent off offer from virtual dynamics. it ends the 21st of this month.

i need a new pair of RCAs, so i am thinking about getting something.

I would like to..

But I'm not that thrilled with the P3-PC yet either.. I'm hoping it comes to life in the upcoming weeks with some more burn-in.

Dec 12, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #405 of 433
i have some unused cables. if i sell them, the vd cord would basically pay for itself. thinking about a david rca (1m). we'll see. still a few days to decide.

btw, where are you using the power3. i prefer it on my amp over my cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back