Free power cord (too good to be true)?
Oct 30, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #166 of 433
Damn, that's almost $35 USD!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #167 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got one as well. just paid my $33 (canadian).

wait, you just got a confirm e-mail?
blink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #168 of 433
yes. i got a congrats email last night. i accepted. this morning, i got an invoice. i paid. and just a few minutes ago, i received a shipping notice.

can't wait for my $33 power cord.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #169 of 433
Quote:

yes. i got a congrats email last night. i accepted. this morning, i got an invoice. i paid. and just a few minutes ago, i received a shipping notice.

can't wait for my $33 power cord.
smily_headphones1.gif

man, I guess I did not got them again
frown.gif
but ... oh well, better luck on the next drawing then

PS: please post some response after you got it
etysmile.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #170 of 433
On what component should one use the upgraded power cord to get the greatest (or most noticeable) improvement in sound quality: transport, DAC, or amp?

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #171 of 433
i'm going to try it with my amp first and then my CDP. i think my current power cords are of reasonable quality, so i am curious what - if any - improvements i will notice. but i think someone going from stock to the VD cord will see a noticeable gain in performance.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #172 of 433
In general, I would say, put your best power cord on your source/DAC, as it all flows downhill.
wink.gif

But it's also possible that a particular cord has more synergy with a downstream component and can have a better impact there.

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #173 of 433
Quote:

dude. he's never even listened to anything except an ipod + ear buds.

he's a complete waste of time.

Nice job trolling. I actually had an iPod Mini a few years ago (gift), and was disgusted by its sound quality.
Quote:

Originally Posted by My Sig
Sources: Cowon iAudio X5, X-Fi Platinum (Coaxial Transport)
Headphones: Shure E4C, EarPeace Tech LiveWire T1, AKG K240 Sextett

Soon enough: Twisted Pear Opus DAC/M^3 Combo

Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well did they test with quality PSU's? Most computers have crap power supplies that merely do their job. Also perhaps the simpler circuitry is better benefited by such a power cable since the power in isnt being split and re distributed like a computer's power supply would.

You always want proof of the opposite camp but never seem to give your "scientific proof" other than saying oh man tests have been done. What school does your tests or is it some guy in his moms basement who cant actually afford the cables who says my sound is the best it will ever be. Until i see a test proving cables make no difference by MIT I will give nice cables the benefit of the doubt.

Another thing you can't possibly tell me $4.98 rca cables by Magnavox are better than $30 ones made by Dayton, build quality aside there is a difference in sound. Less distortion, richer bass I don't see how that isn't apparent. Only time these high end cables don't make a difference in sound or video quality is digital, and that is because of the absence of signal degradation over short distances. It is sending binary code and your source and decoder will be the weakest links in a digital chain. Only plus with those is build quality.

I haven't seen a DBT involving computer PSU's, but I did PM you a DBT on power cables. And why am I not showing proof? Maybe because the burden of proof is on you, for suggesting something is happening with no scientific basis. Why would MIT waste their time with something so, trivial, and already debunked? Ok, so, what exactly are the Dayton RCA cables doing that the $1 no-name aren't? Besides build quality, of course.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTrumpet999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've got a real point there gritzcolin. The thing with computers is that they operate completely in the digital domain; all zeroes and ones. Which means that the "analog" squarewaves representing those bits can be really, REALLY crappy... since nothing between 1 and 0 is extracted, computers can get away with that. This is the reason why shoving an audio card into a PCI slot on the mobo is not a very good idea.

Now we move to high end (headphone or speaker) equipment. Aside from a source (or external DAC), everything is in the analog domain - now every last bit (pun unintended, I swear!) of interference matters, because the signal waveform is a superposition of ALL audio information at all frequencies.

So, I believe analog / power cables can and do make a difference, and that is why. It's for the same reason DIY-ers put their best components in the signal path.

Back on topic: I got a notice of being in the first 25 last week, but didn't get a shipping notice earlier this evening like most seemed to... I hope I haven't been overlooked!

Sure, computers have error reduction, but the fact stands: more data, and more complex data go through the "crappy" wires inside a "noisy" computer, and yet computers function fine. Solid-gold cables aren't going to make it function better.

Amps, sources, and etc. are much simpler than computers, and they have less information at lower frequencies going through their cables. It's much harder to screw up the info being sent through them.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #174 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so, what exactly are the Dayton RCA cables doing that the $1 no-name aren't? Besides build quality, of course.

Probably delivering the signal with less loss. Read the article, "What Wire Does With All Those Electrons."

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu
Sure, computers have error reduction, but the fact stands: more data, and more complex data go through the "crappy" wires inside a "noisy" computer, and yet computers function fine. Solid-gold cables aren't going to make it function better.

We're not talking about "functionality." Yes, almost any old audio cable will work, but that doesn't mean that they are all equivalent. Sort of like saying all cars are the same because they'll all transport you to work. Some "function" better than others.

Let's save the inevitable debate about power cables for the ensuing review thread.
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #175 of 433
Quote:

I haven't seen a DBT involving computer PSU's, but I did PM you a DBT on power cables. And why am I not showing proof? Maybe because the burden of proof is on you, for suggesting something is happening with no scientific basis. Why would MIT waste their time with something so, trivial, and already debunked? Ok, so, what exactly are the Dayton RCA cables doing that the $1 no-name aren't? Besides build quality, of course.

Like I said in the PM the wires in the $30 Dayton cables will have a better quality standard more consistency in the metals which lead to better transfer of a signal. Plus there is also less chance for intereference with shielding they use. Best way to test it may not be with your ears, maybe do some experimenting with coaxial cable on your tv. Maybe my ears can lie but my eyes don't.

Quote:

Amps, sources, and etc. are much simpler than computers, and they have less information at lower frequencies going through their cables. It's much harder to screw up the info being sent through them.

Digital. 1's and 0's going through a cable don't experience interference unless there is a faulty wire somewhere. Also I have killed so many video cards due to power surges with cheap power supplies. I finally got a good power supply and it stopped, then I did the even smarter thing and bought a UPS which is irrelevant. This doesn't disprove you as much as explains why there were no found differences.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #177 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general, I would say, put your best power cord on your source/DAC, as it all flows downhill.
wink.gif

But it's also possible that a particular cord has more synergy with a downstream component and can have a better impact there.

This is what I was thinking too. That's where I'll start. I have plenty of power cords in the $100.00 neighborhood, I'm interested in seeing how this one holds up against them.

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #178 of 433
Quote:

Our eyes are pretty fallible, too.
wink.gif

I don't think an extra blizzard when Luke gets taken by the snow monster is a placebo effect
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #179 of 433
I thought we were going to just ignore him?
confused.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #180 of 433
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought we were going to just ignore him?
confused.gif

What is it with non-believers and ignoring those that try to open their eyes? At least I'm not being burned at the stake.
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back