Found an interesting way to improve bass for Shure SRH940
Jan 6, 2012 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eugenefeng

New Head-Fier
Today I thought about why SRH940 may feel like lack some bass.  The bass wave inside the ears are projected into the front and back of the ear of course the ear becomes a divider inside the ear cup.  So I put a piece of cotton behind the ear and move the ear cup forward therefore there is not much space in the ear cup behind the ear.  The bass sound fuller, the bass feels much forward now, and it feels much better!  Maybe just a psychological effect?

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Today I thought about why SRH940 may feel like lack some bass.  The bass wave inside the ears are projected into the front and back of the ear of course the ear becomes a divider inside the ear cup.  So I put a piece of cotton behind the ear and move the ear cup forward therefore there is not much space in the ear cup behind the ear.  The bass sound fuller, the bass feels much forward now, and it feels much better!  Maybe just a psychological effect?

Dude this actually works lol.. Nice find!

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:

Yeah, I  posted a review to explain that the sound you get from these headphone are sensitive to the placement of the ear cups on the head.
But lot of people prefer to ignore this and think this is placebo.
If you look at the review from tape op, you see the reviewer also get more bass , by playing with the ear cup position.
Also there's a review from user Kenny Nelson  earphonesolutions.com  that says:

Quote:
These are some seriously transparent headphones. Being reference, they don't accentuate any particular frequency and can sound a bit flat when it comes to fullness but that is mostly due to not having a decent audio drive, i.e. high quality DAC, amp... These do 'open up' quite a bit after a thorough burn in so take a little time to do it. Cup placement on your head will make a difference in the character of the sound so experiment with that along with the angle relative to start front-to-back to suit your needs.

A user reported to me also an improved soundstage (I don't want to search the post).

Finally, I  don't understand why you need a piece of cotton, and how you use it.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Yeah, I  posted a review to explain that the sound you get from these headphone are sensitive to the placement of the ear cups on the head.
If you look at the review from tape op, you see the reviewer also get more bass , by playing with the ear cup position.

A user reported to me also an improved soundstage (I don't want to search the post).

Finally, I  don't understand why you need a piece of cotton, and how you use it.

The cotton is absolutely necessary.  Just placement of the ear cup does not get the same result.  If just stuff a strip of cotton behind the ear, between the ear and the ear cup, try to fill it up.  This is to prevent the sound pressure injected inside the rear chamber to interfere with the front chamber, my thinking.  Just an idea to play around and it actually did a wonderful job.  When I took it out, the effect is gone!  So it can be repeated.  The deep and flat bass feel wonderful. 

I don't mean I would enjoy doing that everyday, but it made me enjoy the music much much more.

I am not try to convince anybody, just to share my finding and if you have a Shre SRH940 at hand, you may try that and get some suprises.  Just for fun.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 9
No need. It's got plenty of bass for me.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 9
If the ear acting as a divider is truly a factor, you could get even more bass by pulling a Van Gough.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 9
I am not a scientist so it is only my guess to get me to try it.  Sound do interfere, it can be confirmed by speaker cabinet design.  How much it did I don't know and I cannot explain it exactly.  I am listening to my SRH940 now and I know it is quite amazing.  It feels like a different earphone almost.

Quote:

Quote:
If the ear acting as a divider is truly a factor, you could get even more bass by pulling a Van Gough.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I am not a scientist so it is only my guess to get me to try it.  Sound do interfere, it can be confirmed by speaker cabinet design.  How much it did I don't know and I cannot explain it exactly.  I am listening to my SRH940 now and I know it is quite amazing.  It feels like a different earphone almost.

Well the cotton thing might be fun & easy to try, it's just not convenient for regular use. I thing the default bass of srh940 is correct for most music, if I wanted more I'd look for an other headphone.
Your experience with the cotton made me think of the "baka mod", you might try it.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back