found AKG K140!!
Oct 21, 2006 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

werdwerdus

500+ Head-Fier
I was digging around in an "old-stuff" drawer today while I'm home from school. I was finding lots of old 1/4" extension cables and y-splitters, and I came across a couple crappy headphones and these... They don't look too good, but I hooked them up to my stereo receiver since it's the only source with a 1/4" jack I have. I gotta say, they sound better than I was expecting from the looks. And Miles Davis's Someday My Prince Will Come (the first jazz song/solo that I transcribed by ear
biggrin.gif
) just came on the radio
lambda.gif
. These sound pretty decent I would say.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody have these or had these? I find the non-adjustable headband very annoying given that these are supra-aural, and they're pretty tight.

I just thought I'd share my discovery.
cool.gif

Pic to come soon for those interested.

edit: Review added in later post.

Oct 21, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 25
Couldn't get any better close-ups of the not-so-new-looking parts. Anyways I'm pretty excited about my free cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus
I find the non-adjustable headband very annoying given that these are supra-aural, and they're pretty tight.

Are you sure you cannot push the cup without the wire:
th_4fa78764-2.jpg

further up the rods to adjust the size?

Oct 21, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 25
The problem is that your K140 is missing the headband:

Attachment 8420

I think it might be the same part as on the K141, in which case you can probably get one from AKG USA.

These seem to be pretty well-regarded here in Germany, judging from the ca. 30-40 euros they get at auction, ancient though they are. But then again the K141 is also more esteemed here than in the U.S. Let us know in detail how they sound, with a comparison to some other headphones, if possible.

ps, sorry for the tiny pic, it's all I spotted on a quick google image search.

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 25
Damn, those are hott.
cool.gif

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
we must be real AKG fanboys

You think?
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Damn, those are hott.
cool.gif

Yeah, I think they look much better than the K141. I'd pick up a pair since I'm in Germany, but the auctions keep going too high for me. A pretty stylish retro portable (as long as you have an amp)

ps, a few minutes with the AKG product archive tells me that the headband you're missing has a few parts in common with the K240, so that might be your only chance of getting a semi-original headband back on these. (assuming AKG has long since sold out of K140-specific replacement parts) If I were you, werdwerdus, I'd go take a look through that junk drawer one more time. Maybe the headband will turn up.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 25
I couldn't find the headband anywhere. For all I know it's been lost for 20 years...
Anyway, for now I'm just using a black sock rolled around the metal bands and it sets it high enough on my head. The headband still squeezes my head really tight. I'm going to listen to them for maybe another day and I'll post my impressions.
4d4db5b6.jpg

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 25
Hey man, I think all of us who have vintage headphones have at some point resorted to the black sock mod. So much more sophisticated than the white sock mod.

The more I look at them, the more I think that a K171 or 141 headband really would fit. A little different from the original, but at least probably still available, and probably not too expensive. As for the clamping, you can't just gently bend them open a bit? It should work.

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 25
Drooool.. those are HOT! I think I'm going to hunt one of those, and if I find one that's broken I'm going to mod my K271S in those, that would be ONE hot headphone.

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 25
Well I think I've listened to them for a pretty reasonable amount of time to at least attempt to write a quasi-review. Keep in mind as you read that I'm pretty new to this hobby.

First I'd like to say the headphones that I have and listen to the most. I have the 2005 version DT770/250 that I listen to above 80% of the time. I also have the Koss KSC75 recabled that I listen to on-the-go, which is about 20% of the time. As far as my setup goes, it's usually flac files to Number Cruncher 205.2 via optical cable (from X-fi platinum), to PA2v2, to headphones.

When I listened to these phones for the very first time, it was with a stereo receiver through the headphone jack. The first thing I noticed was that the bass all the way through the mids was really well represented and full. I didn't need EQ up the bass or mids at all. I thought they sounded really good just listening to FM radio on a jazz station. That night I decided to hook up my CD player and listen to some CDs.

The longer I listened, the more I noticed that the treble on these phones are a lot more recessed than my DT770s that I have gotten so used to. I plugged them back into the stereo receiver and cranked the treble on the EQ all the way up and it started to sound more like what I was used to on the DT770s or KSC75.

They sound really good with jazz recordings that have the sound of Kind of Blue imo. Other genres though that I have tried with them don't sound quite as good. I listend to a lot of rock and some classical. Rock/metal sounds pretty decent but not up to the same standard that I'm used to with the DT770. Classical sounds pretty good but still the treble is a little lacking.

With the treble EQ'ed up these phones acutaully sound really good. The mid-bass through the midrange is really up front compared to the treble. I think the bass actually gives my 2005 DT770s a run for their money! The bass extends really deep and very full, but a little less tight than the Beyers. Overall these phones are really good for music that benefits from lots of response in the mid-bass through upper midrange frequencies. I like them a lot for jazz and somewhat for classical, but I prefer my Beyers for music that needs really good treble resolution. If you come across a pair for a good deal you might want to give them a try. You might be suprised.
340smile.gif

PS. I was listening to Norah Jones while I was writing most of this and it just sounded great
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me know what you think of my first lengthy headphone review ever
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back