Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 19, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #12,046 of 12,086
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #12,047 of 12,086
Apr 22, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #12,049 of 12,086
TH-X00 are definitely great headphones, just as I remember them. More slam than the TH610 but they compliment quite nicely, 610 is much more neutral in comparison. Going to put some Lawton cups on them anyway.

Anyone know if you can purchase replacement fostex headband pads?

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #12,050 of 12,086
Having a weird “issue” i wonder if somebody knows something about;
my thx 00 have been lying in a closet for a few years as ive been running speakers, but wanting to give them a shot again i found the inside (a bit behind cups, but mostly inside the metal rim) that there is some white hard stuff thats almost like some sort of rust? They seem fine otherwise, just wanted to give em a thorough clean incase there was dust buildup or something from lying around.
Anybody know what this could be? All the other stuff around is fine/unaffected, never seen anything like it. Its also only on that specific black painted metal part.

Also sorry if questions belong elsewhere, i can delete the post if it’s inappropriate for this thread.

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #12,051 of 12,086
my thx 00 have been lying in a closet for a few years as ive been running speakers, but wanting to give them a shot again i found the inside (a bit behind cups, but mostly inside the metal rim) that there is some white hard stuff thats almost like some sort of rust? They seem fine otherwise, just wanted to give em a thorough clean incase there was dust buildup or something from lying around.
Anybody know what this could be? All the other stuff around is fine/unaffected, never seen anything like it. Its also only on that specific black painted metal part.

Also sorry if questions belong elsewhere, i can delete the post if it’s inappropriate for this thread.
Hard to say what it might be from that description. Could you post some photos?

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #12,052 of 12,086

Ohhhhh I had the exact same issues on my D2000 and D5000. Not sure where it came from.

It's almost like someone sprinkle salt crystals / salt dust inside there or something.

It's usually inside the cup, I had no idea where this came from. Glad to find I'm not crazy and I'm not alone on this.

I just carefully vacuum it away and it's been fine, but really find it odd.

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #12,053 of 12,086
TH-X00 are definitely great headphones, just as I remember them. More slam than the TH610 but they compliment quite nicely, 610 is much more neutral in comparison. Going to put some Lawton cups on them anyway.

Also looking for a headband pad and earpads that won't change sound signature. They flake heavily after 6 years of heavy use.

Aug 8, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #12,054 of 12,086
Also looking for a headband pad and earpads that won't change sound signature. They flake heavily after 6 years of heavy use.
Headband I bought official parts from Fostex authorized dealer in Canada.

In the USA it's from: https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/236783-fostex-1466441004-headband-pad-for-th-900

Alternatively you can also get:

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/pilot-pad

or

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...acement-headband-for-beyerdynamic-headphones/

Ear pads will ALWAYS change sound signature. Your best bet is to ask for protein leather replacement pads from E-Mu.

Aug 8, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #12,055 of 12,086
"Ear pads will ALWAYS change sound signature. Your best bet is to ask for protein leather replacement pads from E-Mu."

Ain't that the truth.

I did find one to my liking, and also at least leather, so you won't have flaking down the road. Also, they sound closest to stock sound as I have tried half a dozen different pads.
This is what they look like:
-19762550681251494994.jpg

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #12,056 of 12,086
"Ear pads will ALWAYS change sound signature. Your best bet is to ask for protein leather replacement pads from E-Mu."

Ain't that the truth.

I did find one to my liking, and also at least leather, so you won't have flaking down the road. Also, they sound closest to stock sound as I have tried half a dozen different pads.
This is what they look like:
-19762550681251494994.jpg
Lol oh yeah I think their leather one is closest to it and it seems quite nicely made.

Though the E-Mu protein leather one to my untrained eye/ear appears to be exactly the same as TH-X00 pads.

Another head-fi friend also told me that TH-X00 pads are actually TH500RP pads lol. I haven't try buying TH500RP pads to compare yet so I'm not 100% sure lol.

Aug 9, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #12,057 of 12,086
Lol oh yeah I think their leather one is closest to it and it seems quite nicely made.

Though the E-Mu protein leather one to my untrained eye/ear appears to be exactly the same as TH-X00 pads.

Another head-fi friend also told me that TH-X00 pads are actually TH500RP pads lol. I haven't try buying TH500RP pads to compare yet so I'm not 100% sure lol.
Lol that's funny. Could be so.

Yeah they're pretty close. At least they have the same narrow openings (more hit with sound, more miss with comfort) as the ones with wider openings that I have stray further away from stock sound.

Somehow though the OEM pads are a very stiff foam and keep their shape. That must have something to do with the sound. And the attenuation ring, the way it's sewn in tightly to the pad itself, does some magic (which is missing in all non-OEM pads - I don't believe any leather pads ship with any sewn in attenuation rings). Comfort is one of my gripes with OEM... also, more sweaty. And over time, my pads have only become stiffer and stiffer. The eggshell protein leather has only hardened.

Hey I did find the original OEM ones here too, should you really wanna do this by the book @jaaniiic:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0ZpAGW

Forgive me for posting only AliExpress links. Sadly, I only see the best prices here, more than any other website.

Though I do with OEM did real leather pads, I'm afraid they'd charge twice as much then, which would go to 3 figure prices just for a pair of damn pads.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #12,058 of 12,086
Hey I did find the original OEM ones here too, should you really wanna do this by the book @jaaniiic:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0ZpAGW
Actually I bought a few eBay ones that have exactly the same pictures but they always arrive different. So I'd actually not trust any eBay or aliexpress ones.

Oh it's updated to:

Fostex EX-EP-50 Replacement Ear Pads for TH-500RP & TH-X00 Studio Headphones

https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-USA-Replacement-Headphones-AMS-EX-EP-50/dp/B01N9XOKP8

So I guess officially TH500RP and TH-X00 do share the same ear pad. Part number is EX-EP-50 if you want official one.

But the E-Mu leather one is probably cheaper and if you want leather. But the Fostex one will sound 100% the same since it's official pad.

Aug 12, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #12,059 of 12,086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back