Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 10, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #12,031 of 12,086
It looks like oxygen has infiltrated under the lacquer.
I think the only viable refurb option would be to sand down, removing the lacquer layer.
From there proceed based upon the finish you prefer.

Thankfully this doesn't affect SQ,,, :sweat_smile:
Thanks. Any inputs on possible finish? I did polish my car but not very familiar with wood finish

Apr 10, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #12,032 of 12,086
It looks like oxygen has infiltrated under the lacquer.
I think the only viable refurb option would be to sand down, removing the lacquer layer.
From there proceed based upon the finish you prefer.

Thankfully this doesn't affect SQ,,, :sweat_smile:
When this happens, it usually turns the lacquer milky white (shown below) rather than the cups appearing that they have been raked across rocks that stripped off portions of the lacquer as shown in jokervn91's pic.

xjbtCtt.jpeg

Apr 10, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #12,034 of 12,086
When this happens, it usually turns the lacquer milky white (shown below) rather than the cups appearing that they have been raked across rocks that stripped off portions of the lacquer as shown in jokervn91's pic.

xjbtCtt.jpeg
OP says "spots seems to be under a layer of lacquer" so the surface isn't broken.
Perhaps moisture ingress?

Whatever the cause you don't need to do anything really - won't affect SQ.
Definitely affects the optics though but is it worth potentially screwing up the cups attempting an amateur repair?

I would leave the sanding and refinishing up to a pro myself.
These cans are worth the cost of getting someone to do it properly.

Apr 10, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #12,035 of 12,086
OP says "spots seems to be under a layer of lacquer" so the surface isn't broken.
Perhaps moisture ingress?

Whatever the cause you don't need to do anything really - won't affect SQ.
Definitely affects the optics though but is it worth potentially screwing up the cups attempting an amateur repair?

I would leave the sanding and refinishing up to a pro myself.
These cans are worth the cost of getting someone to do it properly.
Thanks for the input. It certainly wont affect SQ by any way, but wonder if I fail to refinish it the effect would still mostly be on the cosmetic side?

Apr 10, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #12,036 of 12,086
Thanks for the input yeah Im still exploring options its more like a fun diy project to me atm. I saw some has good luck sanding them down and refinish or maybe just leave it raw
Honestly...it does kinda look rad. It reminds me of both weathering on old race cars, but also loved, but old, look of a really nice vintage instrument.

I believe capetownwatches assessment is likely correct. It makes sense if there was a contaminent or simply the air was not right the day they were sprayed (humdity can ruin paint work in infuriating ways) and off gassing got weird and left some voids where oxygen got in. Thinking this because the logo seems fine

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #12,039 of 12,086
Whats latest pricing for THX00 PH in mint condition these days?

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #12,041 of 12,086
EVERYBODY who ever sold their Fostex seems to regret it!
Not only will I NEVER sell my precious Mahogany I'm actively looking to add the other 2 woods to my collection.

Not easy to find at sane prices.

Guess we all didn't expect them to stop being made :D Might just go for the TH610, most opinions I've read suggest it's the same flavour.

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #12,042 of 12,086
EVERYBODY who ever sold their Fostex seems to regret it!
Not only will I NEVER sell my precious Mahogany I'm actively looking to add the other 2 woods to my collection.

Not easy to find at sane prices.
I bought mine, altered the cable to use it balanced, tried different pads. It wasn't for me, and I sold to someone on Head-Fi after about 5 months, and I have never regretted it for 1 instant. Not a fan, at all.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #12,043 of 12,086
I bought mine, altered the cable to use it balanced, tried different pads. It wasn't for me, and I sold to someone on Head-Fi after about 5 months, and I have never regretted it for 1 instant. Not a fan, at all.
Thank goodness we all hear differently or we'd have no hobby!
I happen to really enjoy mine balanced with stock pads. Fits my pixie head like a glove and oh that bass...
I don't use them all that often but it's a treat when I do.

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #12,044 of 12,086
Thank goodness we all hear differently or we'd have no hobby!
I happen to really enjoy mine balanced with stock pads. Fits my pixie head like a glove and oh that bass...
I don't use them all that often but it's a treat when I do.
Sure. NP. But the poster I responded too said everyone who sold them regretted it, which is not true for me. Otherwise I would have stayed mum which I've done for over two years. Maybe I got a bad sample. I do recall some others agreeing with my specific findings. I do like the ebony somewhat. You like them and that's what counts to you and others.

I have bought/obtained 17 cans since 2016. I have six, the other 11 went for inaccurate sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back