Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 20, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #11,852 of 12,087
E-MU PH compared to E-MU Zebra

Zebra + :better soundstage, better kick, better imaging/localization, faster sub-bass, less harsh and more nuanced highs, more detailed upper midrange
PH +: Addictive deep sub-bass rumble, smooth upfront lower mids, exciting uplifting tuning

Thanks for that... trying to figure out which of those two I want. Sounds like you prefer the Zebra?

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #11,853 of 12,087
Thanks for that... trying to figure out which of those two I want. Sounds like you prefer the Zebra?
Yes the Zebra cups are my favorite, I even prefer them over the Teak as I find them having better imaging, better upper mids and smoother treble than them. Though while the Zebra is technically better, the PH can still sound extremely entertaining while not being as balanced. I will be trying the Rosewood cups and bamboo cups as well, and hope to find nice surprises there.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #11,854 of 12,087
Just sold my pair of X00 Ebonies today. They were pretty great, definitely opened up when I upgraded from a Schiit stack to a THX 788/Liquid Platinum. Pretty much got rid of the sibilance and tightened up the bass region a lot for me. Highly recommend if you're looking for some fun headphones though :)

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #11,855 of 12,087
Yes the Zebra cups are my favorite, I even prefer them over the Teak as I find them having better imaging, better upper mids and smoother treble than them. Though while the Zebra is technically better, the PH can still sound extremely entertaining while not being as balanced. I will be trying the Rosewood cups and bamboo cups as well, and hope to find nice surprises there.
Hey any updates on the rosewood?

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #11,858 of 12,087
Hey any updates on the rosewood?
Slapped on the Rosewood's. No, more like carefully engineered them on: putting on these wooden cups remains a careful and tedious process. But I digress, I immediately noticed an improvement in timbre and imaging compared to the PH. Certainly a lot less resonating peaks in the frequency response present here. Sounds have a more accurate positioning compared to the PH, comparing it to the Teak or Zebra I still have to listen more down the line for me to conclude anything. Another thing that instantly stands out to me with the Rosewood, is the slightly raised lower sub-bass compared to the other cups. With other cups, I mean all the other cups I tried (Teak, Purpleheart, Zebra). I am quite sure the sub-bass of the Rosewood is the most pronounced (even if ever so slightly compared to the teak and Zebra) and has a bit more rumble in turn. I wouldn't go as far to say it has the best controlled sub-bass, but it certainly is tight and that in great volumes, very fun indeed. The kick is less pronounced as in comparison to the Teak and Zebra but is still tightly present. Best news here though is that the mids are very smooth: quite warm and very detailed indeed. However so far I prefer the Zebra's due to their fantastically textured and more neutral/slightly more forward upper mids. The highs remind me a lot of the Zebra's though: well extended, excellent timbre neither harsh nor surpressed. Perhaps the highs are a tad bit more harsh than the Zebra though, could be the extra sparkle spiced on top I suppose. Soundstage is on the same level as the Zebra (which is more than fine), Teak still wins here. Curiously though, I haven't listened to the Rosewood's long enough to conclude anything yet. I am aware of how day to day sound impressions can vary just because of moods/state of mind or hydration levels or energy levels. Thus these are early impressions, I still need more time with them. But so far, the Rosewood's are an excellent alternative to the Zebra if you prefer a warmer and more sub-bass rich sound or especially if you prefer the undeniably mesmerising aesthetic pleasure the Rosewood coloured cups provide. More impressions coming soon.

PS. I ordered these beautifully braided balanced XLR cables from skyaudiocables (ebay) as my cat bit through the stock ones. These will probably pair better colour wise with the Rosewood's than they would with the Zebra's. I will not let this desire bias me in deciding which sounds better, and eventually the one that sounds best comes out on top will stay on these drivers, it's what's most important after all. If you want to customise and order such a cable, you can find one here (while E-MU is not officially written these work 100%): Custom Headphone Cable - 2 x 2.5mm HE-350 HE400i HE560 HE1000 HD700 Nighthawk

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-21 at 00.15.43 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-21 at 00.15.43 (1).jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-21 at 00.15.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-21 at 00.15.43.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #11,859 of 12,087
Hey thanks for asking. My cat bit through both my cables. Had to order new ones, one of which arrived yesterday and so can definitely update you on the rosewood this weekend.
Sounds like it is time for some cat-skin earcups :wink:

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #11,861 of 12,087
Anyone have both TH-X00 mahogany and TH-610 and can give comparison in both sound and stock pads comfort?

Reason I am asking is I have a pair for x00 (actually I have two, one for sale) and the stock pads aren't doing it for me. Too small opening and congested soundstage. I tried pad rolling third party options and it always changes the sound. I was reading the th610 pads do not change the x00 sound and are slightly bigger and more comfy. But they're pretty expensive pads so I can just pay a little more and trade in my th-x00 for a th-610. Any thoughts?

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #11,862 of 12,087
Anyone have both TH-X00 mahogany and TH-610 and can give comparison in both sound and stock pads comfort?

Reason I am asking is I have a pair for x00 (actually I have two, one for sale) and the stock pads aren't doing it for me. Too small opening and congested soundstage. I tried pad rolling third party options and it always changes the sound. I was reading the th610 pads do not change the x00 sound and are slightly bigger and more comfy. But they're pretty expensive pads so I can just pay a little more and trade in my th-x00 for a th-610. Any thoughts?
Get the E-MU with Teak or Zebra cups. Even with stock pads they will open up the sound. Mahogany (as far as is documented) has a small soundstage.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #11,864 of 12,087
EMUs use same pads as TH-X00 (worse than th-610) so I am still stuck in the pad conundrum. Although EMU is prob best bang for buck these days.
I see so the pads are not comfortable enough then? I read some stories about Dekoni pads(dont know which exact model though) being a good replacement. Plenty of anecdotal info in either this thread or over at the E-MU thread. Don't know too much about the TH-610, but would hazard a wild guess in them not beating E-MU's best cups. Might as well settle for the latter then.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #11,865 of 12,087
I see so the pads are not comfortable enough then? I read some stories about Dekoni pads(dont know which exact model though) being a good replacement. Plenty of anecdotal info in either this thread or over at the E-MU thread. Don't know too much about the TH-610, but would hazard a wild guess in them not beating E-MU's best cups. Might as well settle for the latter then.

Yeah stock pads are not comfortable at all. TH610 stock pads are slightly larger ear opening than X00/EMU but should retain same sound. Best third party I've found so far is these + home made attenuation discs. Not perfect sound though.

https://www.amazon.com/Sheepskin-Re...=1&keywords=fostex+pads&qid=1609558181&sr=8-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back