Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 13, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #11,836 of 12,087
:Looking for an ebony/ purpleheart :)

Sold my ebonies with less than 20 hours on them last year, and regret it.

So anybody who has for sale feel free to PM me :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 13, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #11,838 of 12,087
:Looking for an ebony/ purpleheart :)

Sold my ebonies with less than 20 hours on them last year, and regret it.

So anybody who has for sale feel free to PM me :)
There's a TR-X00 ebony being offered on ebay. I'm not the seller and in no way affiliated or able to communicate with that seller. Furthermore, I have no knowledge of its condition outside of what is disclosed in the ad below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Massdrop-Fostex-TR-X00-Ebony-Mint-condition/333714910010

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #11,843 of 12,087
Yikes, I paid less than that for a pair of th909's

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 28, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #11,847 of 12,087
Help!!! Any of u fostex guys know any one who could put plugs in my purplehearts as opposed to the hardwire that it is now. Would like to swap out cables that I use on my other cans. Also I broke a hanger so I need to get that fixed also. I miss using my purplehearts😫 thanx for any help u can give.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #11,850 of 12,087
@The Third hey I was wondering if you had any first impressions yet on the purple heart Wood cups?
Sorry I took so long but am taking the Purple heart's for a spin as we speak.

E-MU Purpleheart definitely sounds different than the X00 Purpleheart. E-MU PH sounds more refined and extended for sure, X00 is a bit loose in comparison. E-MU PH sounds the most 'fun' of all the woods I tried so far: the Sub-bass is amped up, there is this peak in the upper highs that adds this extra sense of attack, upper mids are definitely more sucked out which gives these cups a sense of a V-shape sound. I'd still call the purpleheart's more w shaped than anything else because the lower mids on the Purpleheart are one of it's outstanding features, creating this very full and thick sound.

Even though at times it can sound uncontrolled or less defined compared to the Zebra or Teak, the PH flavor is very addictive and very entertaining. One thing you won't ever hear me call the Purpleheart is analytical though, it's too coloured for that: Massive sub-bass body, raised lower mids, sucked out upped mids and a slightly peaky treble reminiscent of the original HE-400. Most of what I wrote here is in line with previous findings in other anecdotal reports. But the E-MU PH has a bigger soundstage and better imaging compared to the X00 or maybe even previous E-MU PH's released this far. This is thanks to the inner wood-cup shape of all my cups I received from Chan from E-MU (my PH cups have the same inner cutting as the Teak cups as I mentioned earlier, contributing to soundstage).

If you got an analytical pair of headphones next to your E-MU's, I'd say slap on the PH wood and call it a day, it's entertaining value never ceases to bore me and alongside an analytical neutral headphone it would make a greatly entertaining companion. If you seek the most detailed and balanced sound, the PH might be too much of a good thing and the Zebra would then be your best bet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back