Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 31, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #11,806 of 12,086
Looking at the MMCX connector itself it doesn't seem like it'd be much more restrictive, if at all, to wire thickness than the SMC connector.
JHTwo5RpQQatMRrQRyyG_20180207_131940_HDR.jpg

VS

8895887.jpg

assuming the center pin is cut down on both. I'm not fully understanding the issue with using an MMCX connection.

May 31, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #11,807 of 12,086
I wasn't thinking mmcx vs. smc

I was thinking headphone connectors vs. IEM connectors.

May 31, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #11,808 of 12,086
The TH-X00 doesn't have a removable cable. I guess you are taking a chance without hearing them.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #11,810 of 12,086
Would recommend the Accessory House Sheepskin NON perforated + Dekoni attenuation rings. About 40 total. Down the line you could look at the Lawton driver mod, 45 bucks, and you will be set.
Thanks a ton for mentioning the Dekoni attenuation rings! I'm using those with Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin ear pads. I'm not sure how different the dimensions on the Accessory House angled sheepskin are vs the Brainwavz angled sheepskin but I may try and grab a pair of the Accessory House down the road if I see a deal.
Hey man.

Yes, those are the Male connectors I used.

For the female, there are a few types, I went with something like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMC-Female...G179-RG316-RG188-Cable-Connector/254337599952

For pads, personally I recommend Audio-technica MSR7 pads - the Brainwavz are too deep, add too much material between the driver and your ears. The MSR7 pads can be difficult to get mounted, but they're about the same thickness as the stock pads.
I swapped out several of the pairs of pads that were in my order,but I ended up actually liking the angled sheepskin best. I figured I'd like the non angled sheepskin ones since, as you mentioned, the angled ones are quite thick, but when I went through my test songs I absolutely gravitated toward the angled ones. I'm not sure how the mechanics of that work out. VS the default pads I can only think that since my ears fit inside the pads as opposed to the pads sitting on the back part of my ear, like the default pads, the drivers aren't ultimately that much further away from me ear canals. The angled vs the non angled is a mystery to me.

Or it's a placebo effect.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #11,811 of 12,086
Thanks a ton for mentioning the Dekoni attenuation rings! I'm using those with Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin ear pads. I'm not sure how different the dimensions on the Accessory House angled sheepskin are vs the Brainwavz angled sheepskin but I may try and grab a pair of the Accessory House down the road if I see a deal.

Damn...I purchased Brainwavz angled sheepskins and they did not fit the plastic installation ring. I was replacing pleather Brainwavz pads (not the angled type) that had started to flake. It's like the sheepskins are the little brothers of the pleathers. I purchased them because people said they fit a Fostex (and because I was using Brainwavz myself). I don't know what the hell is going on (bad Branwavz quality control???...different model???). Meh...tossed them in a drawer since I can't use them with any of my other headphones.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #11,812 of 12,086
Damn...I purchased Brainwavz angled sheepskins and they did not fit the plastic installation ring. I was replacing pleather Brainwavz pads (not the angled type) that had started to flake. It's like the sheepskins are the little brothers of the pleathers. I purchased them because people said they fit a Fostex (and because I was using Brainwavz myself). I don't know what the hell is going on (bad Branwavz quality control???...different model???). Meh...tossed them in a drawer since I can't use them with any of my other headphones.
I can't say how they will hold up over time since the outer ring has to stretch quite a bit yo get over that plastic ring. I had watched ZReviews video before hand, so I worked them a bit with my fingers before trying to put the ring in. That said, one of the non angled sheepskin did start to see separation between the leather and the stretchy ring that I believe reinforces the edge. So it is tricky.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #11,813 of 12,086
I can't say how they will hold up over time since the outer ring has to stretch quite a bit yo get over that plastic ring. I had watch ZReviews video before hand so I worked them a bit with my fingers before trying to put the ring in. That said, one of the non angled sheepskin did start to see separation between the leather and the stretchy ring that I believe reinforces the edge. So it is tricky.

Yeah, I remember I had a hard time putting the pleather pads on the ring years ago. But the sheepskin ones I got this time are noticeably smaller than the ones I had. There is no way I could get them on the ring (if I I could do it, the ring would bend and I could not install them in the headphone).

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #11,814 of 12,086
I have some hard to find new black audeze pads for sell if anyone wants to try, PM me.
I horded pads in the past.
They look a bit like Alpha pads, but a bit wider opening inside.
:)

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #11,815 of 12,086
My first ''good'' headphone was Creative Aurvana Live. I've upgraded my headphones later (after couple of years) but i never find that bass punch even with praised headphones. Lately i discovered these Fostex Drop headphones and Emu Teak. So much praise. I'm curious about them. I've just realized these are similiar to CAL. Same driver type but bigger. I understand now why people praising these but to be honest CAL's are really low tier headphones. I wonder these Emu Teaks and Fostex cans are good at detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging, instrument seperation etc... There are Beyer tesla headphones at this price range which is similiar to these. Also Sundara, LCD1 and 660S. How are these compared to those. Beyer tesla cans are super fast and good at detail. DT 770 is also far better than CAL for example. I have Ananda and i'm curious are these gonna sound like low fi basshead headphone or can be competitive to something like Ananda ?

TLDR: 1770 or 1990 vs Fostex Ebony and Emu Teak ? Especially technical capability, soundstage, imaging, detail etc.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #11,816 of 12,086
My first ''good'' headphone was Creative Aurvana Live. I've upgraded my headphones later (after couple of years) but i never find that bass punch even with praised headphones. Lately i discovered these Fostex Drop headphones and Emu Teak. So much praise. I'm curious about them. I've just realized these are similiar to CAL. Same driver type but bigger. I understand now why people praising these but to be honest CAL's are really low tier headphones. I wonder these Emu Teaks and Fostex cans are good at detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging, instrument seperation etc... There are Beyer tesla headphones at this price range which is similiar to these. Also Sundara, LCD1 and 660S. How are these compared to those. Beyer tesla cans are super fast and good at detail. DT 770 is also far better than CAL for example. I have Ananda and i'm curious are these gonna sound like low fi basshead headphone or can be competitive to something like Ananda ?

TLDR: 1770 or 1990 vs Fostex Ebony and Emu Teak ? Especially technical capability, soundstage, imaging, detail etc.

Imagine you start with a "hi-fi" headphone, you don't think is sound too exiting, and you modify it to be fun. I don't even consider the Fostex line (from the D2000 all the way to the TH900) to be a basshead headphone. It does have a boosted low end (that's how they made it fun), but that boost is mainly in the sub-bass, so it still sounds "refined".

Out of all my cans, the T5p has the most similar signature to my TH-X00 and D2000.

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #11,817 of 12,086
This took way too long and was significantly more of a pain than I thought it'd be but I finally modded my headphone to have a detachable cable.

I can detach from the ear cups themselves and I can connect to aux cables at multiple setups. I hate the 3.5mm female jack I had to put at the end of the cable, but the nicer looking one I'd ordered wouldn't have worked as intended. I may order something else and swap it out, eventually.
XDqVAOJ.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #11,818 of 12,086
I replaced the stock pads with Ori suede from ZMF...I'm liking the changes I hear.

I always thought that the TH-X00 had a little too to much boom (bass was just a little, little muddy) for my tastes, but now the mid bass is just perfect.

I also have a set of Ori lambskin pads and those made the bass even more muddy than the stock pads.

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #11,819 of 12,086

I bought Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin earlier this year and I had a really hard time getting the ring inside them. But after some stretching and bending it worked out fine. Unfortunately I think the pads make my purplehearts sound way thinner. I definitely prefer the stock pads when it comes to sound (with and without attenuator) , which is sad because the Brainwavz are super comfy.

Jul 25, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #11,820 of 12,086
Just received a used Purple Heart (TR) in near mint condition. This might finally be the tastefully bass-heavy headphone i have been looking for some time now, at least at first glance the sound seems well balanced and all around enjoyable despite of the unmistakable elevated bass (as opposed to the likes of Campfire Cascade and Final E 5000 which i didn't enjoy at all...). Mac Miller sounds great on this. And it's such a beauty! The onyl things i don't love so far are the cable monstrosity and the suspiciously flimsy construction. I'll probably better treat this one even more with kids gloves than my other headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back