Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 31, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #11,731 of 12,086
I don't really see the X00 as bass heavy headphones. They don't nearly have as much midbass compared to other headphones/iem like my es3x, hd25 or even se215. My apple earbuds have a similar thump impact.
By midbass, I mean that thump that you get from hip-hop/electronic music and not the rumble associated with sub bass. The truth is midbass frequency makes up the majority of current pop songs. No doubt the sub-bass rumble is undeniably impressive on the x00 and beats all the headphones I've listed but this is a narrow range and it just isn't very common plus the X00 needs to be turned up pretty loud to actually feel it. So I guess for a better word, the x00 doesn't exhibit any mid-bass hump which is a good or bad thing. I find that most full-size headphones lack midbass compared to the majority of IEM and the x00 is no different.
I totally agree the X00 aren't bass monsters unless you listen to them so loud they start to slam. At decent healthy volumes the X00 are quite low mid centric and with clean highs and controlled sub bass. These are not thumb mid-bass masters unlike my HD25 Aluminiums, and I own the PH edition so. Mind you they can be EQ'd as such but you lose detail. The X00's are detailed balanced headphones with a sort of w shape headphone where the bass focuses on sub bass, the mids on the lower mids and the highs on the low to mid highs with a linear roll off sounding smooth yet crisp.

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #11,732 of 12,086
They are a kind of W signature, but to me they do subbass impact and treble energy better than their mids... definitely more subbass presence than any other headphone I've heard at normal listening volume (I don't listen loudly...) With driver housing damping, certain pads, and custom attenuators, they have very nice and tight bass which doesn't walk over the other frequencies.

Their lowend is very much subbass, rather than midbass, focused:
i-L74fPBt.png

The combination of the Purpleheart's subbass presence, full bodied sound, brightness, punchiness, relatively clean sound with very good imaging and separation, and overall energetic sound really make it one of my favorite headphones. And with the right tubes in a Project Ember it absolutely comes alive compared to any SS amp and is much easier on the ears for long listening sessions. Porta Pros with Yaxi pads are a great complimemt to them, being much more midbass and vocal focused, warmer, relaxed/not bright, and rolled off at both ends.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #11,734 of 12,086
The thing I've noticed tube amps can do with the right tube is bring separation you never will get from a solid state amp...everything has its own space and is distinctly separate. The CIFTE 12AU7 tube I have is absolutely rediculous with the Project Ember in its separation, and it really has a holographic presentation different from most tubes I've tried... talking more than a STAX L series running on a solid state setup. With the Purpleheart... simply cleaner and clearer sounding than solid state amps I've had it on. Other tubes are not as clean/clear but warmer and fuller sounding with strong mids and low end... like the Mullard 12AT7/CV4024 - that's the Purpleheart 'BASSSSS' tube with very nice mids and more relaxed treble....

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #11,735 of 12,086
Mind you they can be EQ'd as such but you lose detail. The X00's are detailed balanced headphones with a sort of w shape headphone where the bass focuses on sub bass, the mids on the lower mids and the highs on the low to mid highs with a linear roll off sounding smooth yet crisp.

Detailed and balanced? I've spoken with lots of fans of the X00 (Mahogany and Ebony more then PH), and none have listed that as a strong point. It's more like "great bass can", "fun", "v shaped".

So tell me what sort of EQ you used to lose detail with them? When I owned a Mahogany (and borrowed an Ebony for a few weeks) I didn't believe in or like EQ's at the time, so I didn't try one. I just had a conversion to EQ via digital parametric 6 band - tonebooster over the past 3 weeks - which has made all 7 of my cans sound a good deal better. If I still had the Mahogany, I cannot imagine that it wouldn't have been improved markedly. I tried a number of mods, and they didn't really help either.

So, what type of EQ did you use, and how did you find it lacking? What is your reference can BTW?

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #11,736 of 12,086
Detailed and balanced? I've spoken with lots of fans of the X00 (Mahogany and Ebony more then PH), and none have listed that as a strong point. It's more like "great bass can", "fun", "v shaped".

So tell me what sort of EQ you used to lose detail with them? When I owned a Mahogany (and borrowed an Ebony for a few weeks) I didn't believe in or like EQ's at the time, so I didn't try one. I just had a conversion to EQ via digital parametric 6 band - tonebooster over the past 3 weeks - which has made all 7 of my cans sound a good deal better. If I still had the Mahogany, I cannot imagine that it wouldn't have been improved markedly. I tried a number of mods, and they didn't really help either.

So, what type of EQ did you use, and how did you find it lacking? What is your reference can BTW?
The X00's are certainly more balanced than f.e. an he-400, dt770 or m50x. Those are a lot more spiky. With balanced I don't mean neutral. Balanced meaning that each part of the frequency response is decently enough represented, extended and that nothing truly is missing from them even if there is some ringing in some areas. V shape I don't consider balanced, U shape or W shape done right I do. V as the letter portrays, has two sides heavily represented.

And with EQ I think you can make certain music soundtracks sound better but not necessarily more detailed. It's better to search for a headphone that has the frequency response of your EQ'd headphone than to actually use EQ to get to that frequency response. You are boosting the noise floor on the areas of frequency resposne significantly. Just my thoughts.

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #11,737 of 12,086
The X00's are certainly more balanced than f.e. an he-400, dt770 or m50x.

Good response. You have a point there.

Those are a lot more spiky. With balanced I don't mean neutral. Balanced meaning that each part of the frequency response is decently enough represented, extended and that nothing truly is missing from them even if there is some ringing in some areas. V shape I don't consider balanced, U shape or W shape done right I do. V as the letter portrays, has two sides heavily represented.

Actually I meant to mention that that the 'W' analysis was good and correct. I reported what was said by others - but almost no can has a strict 'V', it's a caricature.

And with EQ I think you can make certain music soundtracks sound better but not necessarily more detailed. It's better to search for a headphone that has the frequency response of your EQ'd headphone than to actually use EQ to get to that frequency response. You are boosting the noise floor on the areas of frequency resposne significantly. Just my thoughts.

Hmm. Cans with the reputation of being fairly or very flat still benefit. HD-600, HE-500 for two. The most controversial can I have these days is the HFM HEX v2 which is seen by many as lacking definition, dynamics and sparkle while having deep bass (albeit diffuse), and a great sense of coherence. After the EQ, and none of the good stuff is lost, and they have more definition and a notable increase in dynamics.

I bought a ten band audiophile approved Soundcraftsman in 1977, decided it wasn't worthwhile and sold it in 1978, 42 years later with a digital parametric EQ, it seems much better w/o any negatives added - including noise, phase issues. I just wish it was 8 bands and not six.

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #11,740 of 12,086
After 4 years there are some chips in the coating on my X00 PH, how difficult of task would it be to recoat these babies?

If you wanted to evenly coat them you'll probably want to sand them down then use a spray gun to apply the lacquer on evenly though you might run into an issue with the fostex logo. If you don't want to go through that process using a spray gun and applying a thin coat should probably do the trick. Or you can just order a set of Purple Heart cups from the guys at EMU for like $120 but it won't have the Fostex logo on them.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #11,741 of 12,086

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #11,742 of 12,086
You can loop the end plug through the upper split of the Y....similar happened to me before....I think it is the same...your TRS or balanced end has passed through the upper part of the cable at various times and its causing a tangle at one side...you have to un-do the tangle....should work if that is understandable...(!)?

IMO the cable is just a POS. I've done this but the cable always finds a way to stay permanently contorted and warped.

Apr 13, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #11,743 of 12,086
IMO the cable is just a POS. I've done this but the cable always finds a way to stay permanently contorted and warped.
Yup, and it made a lot of sense going detachable with the TR-X00 series. One thing I would gi e is that the cable seems durable with the layer of cloth like material on the exterior.

Personally, I prefer what Denon did. They went detachable, and provides two sets of cables, one being a short one.

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #11,744 of 12,086
Never have had any issues with the Denon/Fostex attached cables.... they are the best built and most robust cables on a headphone that don't jank like the horrible cables that come with the Sennheiser and Focal top end headphones and are fairly light for how thick they are. If you roll them up right they will stay perfectly straight and never have any kinks or janks.

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #11,745 of 12,086
Never have had any issues with the Denon/Fostex attached cables.... they are the best built and most robust cables on a headphone that don't jank like the horrible cables that come with the Sennheiser and Focal top end headphones and are fairly light for how thick they are. If you roll them up right they will stay perfectly straight and never have any kinks or janks.
I didn't find Sennheiser cables to jank, particularly for the 650. 800 has fabric sheath as well, and more durable than plastic. Focal I can understand as the cables creates extreme memory. Utopia cable doesn't, but heavy as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back