Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 6, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #9,752 of 12,086
Anyone here had a chance to compare these to the new Denon AH D7200 or E-mu Teak?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have the original TH-X00 and the Emu Wood Series with Rosewood cups.  They both sound wonderful and not too different from one another.  I would say the Emus might have slightly better frequency extension both high and low but the TH-X00 has a warmer mid-range and fuller overall bass.  The Emus are closer to my set of TH-900s so I'm planning to put the Emus up for sale.  

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #9,753 of 12,086
  I have the original TH-X00 and the Emu Wood Series with Rosewood cups.  They both sound wonderful and not too different from one another.  I would say the Emus might have slightly better frequency extension both high and low but the TH-X00 has a warmer mid-range and fuller overall bass.  The Emus are closer to my set of TH-900s so I'm planning to put the Emus up for sale.  

I currently have rosewood cups on my TH-X00. The differences you mention are similar to what I've noticed from changing cups. Then again, I had metal TH-600 cups on them for a while (though dampened to match the stock mahogany sound).

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #9,757 of 12,086
Obviously, I do too.

The hole looks like the same dimension as stock, from memory. The thickness is very different; prototype is cut from a thinner nylon-like sheet, where the stock ones are a thicker cast plastic.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #9,758 of 12,086

Would you say the Rosewood are more balanced or more v shaped than the THX00 Mahogany? Have you heard any other variants? If you didn't have the TH900, would you keep them both?

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #9,759 of 12,086
Anybody have any hints for stripping back the braided shielding on the cord of the THX00? A friend and I are about to attempt soldering a 3.5mm plug on these but it all seems like it's going to be a really tight squeeze.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #9,760 of 12,086

is the prototype ring similar in shape n material to the ones in stock earpads? i assume that the dekoni's prototype rings wont make it to production/sales anytime soon, so i might want to rip the rings off my stock earpads. 

I posted a few pages back what I did to get more bass. My opinion is they should just release inserts for under the pad one for front one for the back. The rings they sent me for $3 sound to much like stock to me. I'm using my paper mod which gives me a sound somewhere in between. With thick paper if you insert it under the thicker part of pad on both sides it sounds like stock.

So thick paper like from thick folder inserted on both sides will sound like stock pads just like the $3 rings as well.
I highly recommend you do it your self though and try different sizes. I thought at first I would like the stock sound more but ended up liking the inserts on back thicker pad only. That gives best of both and made headphone sound amazing to me.

I been lazy about writing a full post with pictures but I have picture few pages back with blue markings should be easy to find. I'll add better picture later.

To answer your question though the plastic if very similar soft plastic if not the same. Eventually I want to find the same material or will cut my $3 pair and make inserts. Though I don't expect that big of a difference in sound to the paper. The inserts are the way to go at any rate though. Those rings are not easy to get on in off and you must remove the pad and back ring every time you want to change. The two inserts I have I can put in and out in seconds with pads on headphone. I can get stock sound with 2 on each side. My preferred go to sound with 1 on each side. Or neutral to sound with no insert (I do believe these pads do make X00 Mohagonys very neural with out inserts which some may also prefer).

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #9,761 of 12,086
Would you say the Rosewood are more balanced or more v shaped than the THX00 Mahogany? Have you heard any other variants? If you didn't have the TH900, would you keep them both?

To my ears, the TH-X00 mahogany sounds more balanced than the Emu Rosewood as the richer mid-range seems to fill up the natural v-shape of these Fostex drivers.  Regarding the TH-900 and Emu Rosewood, they share a similar sonic signature (with the same ear pads) but it seems the TH-900 does it just slightly better.  If I didn't have the TH-900, I would be perfectly happy to keep the Emu Rosewood. Among luthiers, rosewood has a long history as a great tonewood (many acoustic guitar bodies and electric guitar fingerboards) and the finish on the Emu Rosewood cups is simply beautiful.  The TH-X00 is just different enough in tuning to the TH-900 that I am keeping both.  I have not heard any other variants of the TH-X00 or Emu Teak series but I largely suspect the differences within each series are relatively minimal and not consistent for a given wood.  

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #9,762 of 12,086

Do you feel they make the headphones sound more closed compared to stock when using rings?

is the prototype ring similar in shape n material to the ones in stock earpads? i assume that the dekoni's prototype rings wont make it to production/sales anytime soon, so i might want to rip the rings off my stock earpads. 

the shape seems to be the same, but the material seems different.

Obviously, I do too.

The hole looks like the same dimension as stock, from memory. The thickness is very different; prototype is cut from a thinner nylon-like sheet, where the stock ones are a thicker cast plastic.

This^

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #9,764 of 12,086
Thought I'd post some pics of my 6' balanced extension cable I made for my ebony TH-X00. Running to a AudioGD NFB-28. Wanted to listen  through the balanced input and add some length:

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #9,765 of 12,086
I am using the Lawton pads and was curious if anyone has compared to the Alpha and/or Audeze pads (or if there is an existing post I missed you could direct me to) . Also wondering is anyone has tried the Lawton tuneup and can talk about it.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back