Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 4, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #9,722 of 12,086

Nice, I also just bought a Pilot Pad for my X00s. I was actually also looking for some replacement pads too. I really wanted: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-fostex-th-x00?mode=guest_open but I have no way of getting them and I never see them up for sale.

I'm tempted to get the ZMF Oris but I'm worried about the bass after the swap. I guess my search for x00 pads continues.

Try the Ori's. Trust your own ears regardless what other people say (including myself, I guess :p). MY ears say they're wonderful....but then, I don't hear the "too hot" treble others complain of, either. I can say that the bass still sounds great to me with the Ori pads.

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #9,723 of 12,086
How does the THX-00 pair up with the Jotunheim? Did you encounter any sharp, peaky highs or sibilance? Read the reviews stating that Jotunheim is a cold n lean sounding amp, and i thought it might elevate the uneven highs on the THX-00. 
  Try the Ori's. Trust your own ears regardless what other people say (including myself, I guess :p). MY ears say they're wonderful....but then, I don't hear the "too hot" treble others complain of, either. I can say that the bass still sounds great to me with the Ori pads.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #9,724 of 12,086
I would like to know whether anyone has tried the thx00 with AudioGD NFB-11? As i'm really trying to acquire this beast (which seems like an impossible mission at the moment) it would be great whether to hear the impressions with it.

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #9,726 of 12,086
  How does the THX-00 pair up with the Jotunheim? Did you encounter any sharp, peaky highs or sibilance? Read the reviews stating that Jotunheim is a cold n lean sounding amp, and i thought it might elevate the uneven highs on the THX-00. 

At the time I upgraded, I couldn't tell much if any difference sonically between the Jotunheim and the Magni 2 Uber. I'd say if there IS a difference, you REALLY have to search for it. I also wasn't expecting any to begin with....my reason for buying the Jot was to be able to get into Balanced connections in the future if I so desire.

But then, I also didn't spend any time A/B-ing them. As soon as I received my Jotunheim, it immediately became my new amp and the Magni went back in its' box. I also skipped the Jot DAC module, as I already had Modi Multibit.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #9,727 of 12,086
  Would it be good to make a jump from Fidelio X2 to the Fostex TH-X00. Using for gaming, movies and music. Just thinking on the jump by looking about same Fidelio X2 quality on anything else than bass, but with more bass.

Thanks!

Mission accomplished guys! :)

The Fostex TH-X00 arrived today. (I was posting on pg. 640) and yup. This is what I wanted in a headphone. Will keep the Fidelio X2 though, for other needs. So far, I can say. For bassy/modern music, joy gaming (not competitive), and movies. This ones are a joy. (The TH-X00).

Thank you so much for all your help and advice guys. You made this man incredibly happy. 
atsmile.gif

Sorry for my English.

Best Regards and a huge thank you,
AQ

PS: With APO Equalizer, the bass got wild as I wanted it to be without affecting the other areas too much. No amps or dacs, just the onboard. (Realtek ALC1150) and boom. DOOM 2016 on this PC with the TH-X00 is such a joy. Thank you!!!

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #9,729 of 12,086

Nice, I also just bought a Pilot Pad for my X00s. I was actually also looking for some replacement pads too. I really wanted: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-fostex-th-x00?mode=guest_open but I have no way of getting them and I never see them up for sale.

I'm tempted to get the ZMF Oris but I'm worried about the bass after the swap. I guess my search for x00 pads continues.

I'm using the Dekoni lamb-skin pads. Perfect!

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #9,730 of 12,086
I have some great news regarding Dekoni. I met the owner and his main man at CanJamNYC. Very nice guys who seem to have made a great growing company. They're making a plastic -- or is it nylon? tbd -- tuning plate to go with their pads for the th-x00!

AND... The owner was even so generous that he handed me a pair of prototypes to try out and share my views here. Um, wow!

I've been catching up on other things I needed to do tonight. But I'll let you know when I try them out ... maybe I'll get to it around 1am.

Edit... I'm mounting them and snapped this pic.

Re-edit ... whoa! Forgot what the sound signature of the stock pads must have been like. The rumble is back! With the comfort of natural leather and memory foam. Generally an overall tilt to the mid and bass, allowing me to hear what's going on in the low-mids to mids way better now. And that's good, as the replacement pads without the plate biased the signature slightly too far to the treble. I predict Dekoni is going sell a whole Lotta these!

If I can offer a thought. I really would love it if they offered an alternative pad 'style' for us folks with larger ears that have trouble fitting into the stock ear cavity dimension. Also, I will eventually buy a pair or two of the plates when offered. Then with either this prototype, or that, play with adding some, limited, perforations to allow just some more highs and mids thru the plate, and see how that sounds.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #9,731 of 12,086
I have some great news regarding Dekoni. I met the owner and his main man at CanJamNYC. Very nice guys who seem to have made a great growing company. They're making a plastic -- or is it nylon? tbd -- tuning plate to go with their pads for the th-x00!

AND... The owner was even so generous that he handed me a pair of prototypes to try out and share my views here. Um, wow!

I've been catching up on other things I needed to do tonight. But I'll let you know when I try them out ... maybe I'll get to it around 1am.

Re-edit ... whoa! Forgot what the sound signature of the stock pads must have been like. The rumble is back! With the comfort of natural leather and memory foam. Generally an overall tilt to the mid and bass, allowing me to hear what's going on in the low-mids to mids way better now. And that's good, as the replacement pads without the plate biased the signature slightly too far to the treble. I predict Dekoni is going sell a whole Lotta these!

If I can offer a thought. I really would love it if they offered an alternative pad 'style' for us folks with larger ears that have trouble fitting into the stock ear cavity dimension. Also, I will eventually buy a pair or two of the plates when offered. Then with either this prototype, or that, play with adding some, limited, perforations to allow just some more highs and mids thru the plate, and see how that sounds.

Thanks for the info!
Did they happen to mention when they expect these to be ready for sale?

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #9,732 of 12,086

Mission accomplished guys! :)

The Fostex TH-X00 arrived today. (I was posting on pg. 640) and yup. This is what I wanted in a headphone. Will keep the Fidelio X2 though, for other needs. So far, I can say. For bassy/modern music, joy gaming (not competitive), and movies. This ones are a joy. (The TH-X00).

Thank you so much for all your help and advice guys. You made this man incredibly happy. 
atsmile.gif

Sorry for my English.

Best Regards and a huge thank you,
AQ

PS: With APO Equalizer, the bass got wild as I wanted it to be without affecting the other areas too much. No amps or dacs, just the onboard. (Realtek ALC1150) and boom. DOOM 2016 on this PC with the TH-X00 is such a joy. Thank you!!!

Woo congrats!! What X00 loses in soundstage to X2, it more than makes up for in other areas, IMO :) Glad you're happy with your purchase!

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #9,733 of 12,086
  Woo congrats!! What X00 loses in soundstage to X2, it more than makes up for in other areas, IMO :) Glad you're happy with your purchase!

​Hi Pahani!

Definitely, I noticed that right away on gaming. X2 does way better on for example Counter Strike, and in a soundstage test on YouTube. Other than that. The TH-X00 are perfect to just have fun.
smily_headphones1.gif
. So far, my ears nailed the size of the cups, the seal is incredible amazing. Sound is superb (especially bass, that bass), and chill factor is over nine thousand. Incredibly happy so far.

Thank you so much to everybody in this community! It has been an incredible trip. I learned soooooo much. I am so grateful for your advice, teachings and patience. You are a great community guys. Thank you so much for everything!

Wish you good to everybody. I hope we meet again in the non-distant future :).

-The Quest is Complete.-

Best Regards,
AQ

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #9,734 of 12,086

is the shape/material of the plate similar to the one from stock earpads? if yes, i might want to salvage the rings from the stock earpads instead. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #9,735 of 12,086
I can't find my stock pads with original backing plates [! :frowning2:] to compare the dimensions. But it seems accurate based in relation to the pad cavity. Man, if I threw my originals out to when I recycled the Dekoni box, I'll be po'ed at myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back